1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Got a question for those on the west coast

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by short shucker, Mar 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Ok here's the question; What do y'all say when selling a vehicle if it's trip ready?

The reason why I ask is this. If you live east of the Mississippi river the ole saying is, I wouldn't be afraid to jump in and drive to California. This is very much common when it comes to descibing a vehicle as mechanically sound.

ss

2. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Short, wouldn't matter what you say. No one believes a car here can run past 100,000. So I guess the answer is likely if the car has less than 50,000 miles on it. I've got a 93 corvette (anniversary edition). Its got 140,000 on it. Car is in great shape as I am the original owner. Yet, even at 7 grand no one wants it. Parted out its worth well over 4 grand. So for 3 grand no one wants a great running straight body car for what amounts to 3,000 bucks. Go figure. Jim

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Why would anyone want to buy a car with over 100K miles on it? I don't care who ownes it or how well it has been taken care of it's on the up side of worn out.

4. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

shot410ga, you must be past 60 (like me).
    The old flathead Fords and stovebolt Chevies were lucky to get 100K miles before needing a rebuild. Not so modern cars.
    Most vehicles built in the last 10 years can easily get 300K miles before the engine gets truly tired. My girlfriend just bought (on my recommendation) a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 139K miles. Odds are that vehicle will last longer than either of us......

Californians just say "I wouldn't be afraid to drive it across the country.."

5. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Mobil 1 synthetic oil made the 100,000 mile mark a non event. Up to around 80,000 miles when I would change the oil you could still see the assembly paint on the rockers through the valve cover hole. Engine runs like new. No kidding. I did have the transmission rebuilt somewhere around that 80,000 mile make, and again at 133,000. Jim

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The 5-cylinder Mercedes Benz diesel engines are well known for routinely hitting the 500,000 mile mark. They could well be the most reliable car engine ever made.

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Engines are not the problem. I've got a 300D with 205k on it. It's all the other things that have problems like: rust, air conditioning compressors, wiring, shocks, interior, paint, transmissions, yokes, rear ends, gauges, power window motors, ect. It's the nickle and dime parts that make a car old and worn out. And when they reach the 100k mark that's when all those parts start to crap out. Been there and done that.

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

shot410ga,

My ole '96 Chevy P/U has more than 235,000 miles on it. I've owned since new and take proper care of it. The entire driveline is still as it came from the factory. The only parts/fluids that have been changed in that time is what's required for normal servicing. The only exception to this is the idler pulley for the engine belt. This was a $10 part and 15 minutes of my time to fix. The waterpump and alternator are both original.

I've put brakes on it twice, but only paid for it the first time (lifetime warranty). I've put a couple of sets of tires on it, and changed the shocks as well.

I am going to change out all the hoses this year and install a new thermostat just as preventative maintience. I'll probably change out the battery cables while I'm at it just for some peace of mind.

This isn't the first GM product to give me this kind of service and I'm sure it won't be the last.

ss

9. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

My wife and I own three vehicles. The oldest is a 1994 Suburban with just over 250,000 miles on it. We routinely drive it on trips when we want the room. For example we took it to Monterey CA to pick up the grandkids last November, right at 900 miles one way. We took two days going, and back in a single day. The engine and transmission has never been touched other than routine tune-ups. I've replaced the muffler once, done the brakes about three times, and get about 75,000 miles to a set of tires. My wife drives a 1999 Chrysler 300 M with 150,000 miles on it. I think we have had problems a couple of times with one of the electronic windows. Other than that, nothing. I mostly drive my 2006 Toyota Tacoma 4WD. It will turn 60,000 miles tomorrow. Other than oil changes (free for life), one set of tires, and a couple of air filters I've had nothing done to it.

I remember when I was a kid a car was pretty well done by 75,000 miles. That's not the case anymore.

10. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

I drive a '99 Chevy Tahoe 2 door. Has a V-8 engine and automatic transmission. Has 105,000 miles. I have had the following replaced, shocks, brakes, front differential rebuilt (I use 4x4 a lot) and one cylinder head replaced. I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 3500 diesel, sits in the garage most the time, has 16,000 miles on it. As long as that Chevy is willing to start and go I plan to keep driving it.

J.F.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.