1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Got a Pheasant Recipe?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GARMASTERS, Nov 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GARMASTERS

GARMASTERS TS Member

My sons just got back from a Kansas pheasant hunt and we've got one in the fridge waiting for a good recipe. Anybody got one?

2. 5spd

5spd TS Member

Turn oven to 350*
    Get square glass oven pan.
    Put bird in center, slice up gobs of celery, carrots, onions, mushrooms, potatoes, a tad of oil over it, season with pepper, chilli pepper, garlic powder, make 2 cups of chicken broth pour in. You can add wine if so desired to mix.
    Put some of the cuttings in said bird, unless all you keep is the breast (I do the entire bird.
    Cover with alum foil, just tuck ends.
    Put in oven for 2hrs or so.
    Take out & eat with your drink of choice.
    Rub belly & burp since its going to be veeerrry good.

3. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Here's one I saved from ts.com

SIGNATURE LODGE PHEASANT CHOWDER

Ingredients
    1 medium onion chopped - yield one-half cup
    One quarter-cup butter
    One quarter-cup all purpose flour
    One half-teaspoon seasoned salt
    One quarter-teaspoon ground pepper
    3 cups chicken broth
    5 medium cucumbers, about 2 pounds, peeled
    2 cups cubed boiled pheasant
    One-half cup long grain rice plus the same amount of wild rice
    2 tablespoons lemon juice
    2 bay leaves
    1 cup light cream
    One-quarter cup snipped parsley

DIRECTIONS
    In 3-quart saucepan, cook onion in butter until tender not brown. Blend in flour, seasoned salt and ground pepper. Stir in chicken broth. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Add cucumbers, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.

Pour half the mixture at a time into blender container. Cover and blend on medium speed for 30 seconds. Return all to saucepan.

Stir in pheasant, uncooked rice, lemon juice and bay leaves. Return to boiling. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove bay leaves. Stir in cream and parsley, heat through.

Season to taste. Garnish with fresh parsley.

Makes 6 servings. Can be frozen.

4. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

From Grandma. Put birds in dutch oven and cover with 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup. In oven at 350 til done. Serve with wild rice.

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

What parrothead said (mushroom soup), but use a crock pot and slow cook all day.

One of the preserves I visit is run by a man who's been in the bird business for forty plus years - that how he cooks pheasant.

Tried it and not much else compares for 1) easy, and 2) good.

6. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

We've had them numerous ways over the years, but this is the best. Cut into 1" chunks, marinate in Coke, wrap a slice of bacon around, secure with a toothpick & cook on the grill.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Variation on the EZ recipies,

Brown cut up pheasant pieces (1/2 the breast)in bacon fat, throw in a few quail breasts if you got them

Make a batch of stove top stuffing mound that up in a 4 Qt dutch oven or similar size baking dish. (long grained rice works well too)

place browned meat around mound of stuffing

pour a can of cream of celery soup mixed 50:50 with light cream over meat, sprinkle with salt,pepper or other seasoning that you like.

bake at 375 for 45 minutes.

One rooster plus a few quail will feed four nicely.

8. GARMASTERS

GARMASTERS TS Member

Thanks one and all!

9. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

This is a great one!

Cream Cheese Stuffed Pheasant Breast

A great baked dish with a cream cheese topping.

Ingredients

4 boneless pheasant breasts, skinned
    1/2 cup butter
    1 1/2 cups crushed corn flakes
    1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese
    1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
    1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
    1/2 cup finely chopped green onions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Directions: Soak pheasant breasts in butter. Coat each breast with corn flake crumbs. Mix cream cheese, garlic powder, Parmesan cheese and green onions together and divide into four parts. Place each coated breast flat in ungreased baking dish. Place one part cream cheese mixture on each breast and fold breast in half to sandwich mixture between the two sides. Use toothpicks to hold breast in place. Bake 35 to 40 minutes at 375 degrees.

10. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

I just made this a few weeks ago:

I boiled two fresh, cleaned whole pheasants in beer and onions until meat was done, and after cooling pulled the meat off the bone, tearing it into shreds and being careful to get rid of any bone, pellets or small feather particles. I put the meat in a crockpot on high with some condensed cream of mushroom soup, chopped yellow onions and cut green beans, cooked for several hours until the meat started breaking down. Served on a bed of rice with some of those Lipton onions that you put on green bean casserole (on top) and served with warm buttered bread. Oh, man, it was GOOD!!! I think I even liked it better with green beans than the mushrooms I normally use. J

11. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

Place in pressure cooker, cook, let meat cool, then fry like chicken (any breading is good) with mashed potatoes and gravy and creamed peas.

12. OhioGal

OhioGal Member

Jennifer that does sound good. I just did some pheasant soup. I used some brown quick rice, onions, frozen carrots to keep it simple, and cut up pheasant and the broth from where I cooked it in the crock pot. I used some poultry seasoning and some cajan powder seasoning. Cook till the rice is tender ...was tasty...now how about some venison recipes that you all have??? after all shot gun season starts here in 9 days!

Deb

13. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

I got a bunch of venison recipes... one of my husband's favorites is a variation of a recipe called "Hunter's Delight" - here goes:

Hunter’s Delight

½ pound sliced bacon, diced

2-½ pounds red potatoes, thinly sliced

2 medium onions, sliced

1-½ pounds boneless venison sirloin steak, cubed

2 cans (14-¾ ounces each) cream-style corn

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1 teaspoon sugar

½ to 1 teaspoon seasoned salt

2-3 cloves garlic

In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; drain. Place potatoes and onions in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Top with venison and bacon.

Combine corn, Worcestershire sauce, sugar and seasoned salt; pour over the top. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until meat and potatoes are tender.

If you’re undaunted by the calories, sprinkle with Colby cheese and serve with corn bread, baguette bread, etc.

Yield: 8 servings.

14. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

Deb here's another one we like to make in the winter when we don't mind the kitchen being hot. When we make this, my husband assumes the job of cutting corn tortillas into quarters and frying them in Smart Balance oil for home-made style corn chips. You can make a quick (but spicy) salsa with a chopped onion, chopped cilantro, 1 can of El Pato Salsa de Chile Fresco, a bit of fresh lime juice and salt and pepper:

TAMALE PIE

1 LB. LEAN GROUND VENISON

1 MEDIUM ONION, CHOPPED (1 CUP)

1-2 CLOVES GARLIC, MINCED

1-1/2 CUPS FROZEN CORN KERNELS, DEFROSTED (CANNED WORKS OK TOO)

1 CAN (15 OZ) DICED TOMATOES WITH CHILIES, DRAINED

1 CUP CANNED DICED ORTEGA CHILIES (OR 1 MEDIUM GREEN PEPPER, SEEDED AND CHOPPED)

1 TABLESPOON CHILI POWDER

½ TEASPOON SALT OR TO TASTE

¼ TEASPOON PEPPER OR TO TASTE

1 CUP SHREDDED CHEDDAR OR COLBY CHEESE

8 OZ OF TOMATO SAUCE OR FOR A SPICY KICK, 1 7.75 OZ CAN EL PATO SALSA DE CHILE FRESCO.

1 BOX OF JIFFY CORNBREAD MIX OR SUBSTITUTE (1 EGG AND MILK REQUIRED)

HEAT OVEN TO 350 DEGREES. IN 12 INCH COVERED SKILLET, COOK MEAT, ONION, AND GARLIC OVER MEDIUM HEAT UNTIL MEAT IS NO LONGER PINK, STIRRING OCCASIONALLY. DRAIN.

STIR IN CORN, TOMATOES, SAUCE, CHILI POWDER, GREEN CHILIES, SALT AND PEPPER AND CONTINUE TO COOK AN EXTRA FEW MINUTES WHILE BREAKING DOWN MEAT WITH SPATULA/SPOON INTO FINER TEXTURE. SPOON THE MIXTURE INTO 13X9 INCH BAKING DISH THAT HAS BEEN SPRAYED WITH NONSTICK VEGETABLE COOKING SPRAY. TOP EVENLY WITH CHEESE AND SET ASIDE.

IN MEDIUM MIXING BOWL, COMBINE BATTER INGREDIENTS, FOLLOWING JIFFY DIRECTIONS OR OTHER CORNBREAD RECIPE OF YOUR CHOICE. THE BATTER MAY NEED TO BE WATERED DOWN WITH SMALL AMOUNT OF EXTRA MILK OR WATER UNTIL IT CAN BE POURED EVENLY OVER THE MEAT MIXTURE. BAKE FOR 40 TO 50 MINUTES, OR UNTIL MEAT MIXTURE IS BUBBLING AND CRUST IS GOLDEN BROWN.

SERVE WITH CHIPS, SALSA, BEANS, RICE, ETC.

FOUR SERVINGS IF SERVED ALONE AS A MAIN DISH OR UP TO 8 SERVINGS IF SERVED WITH ANOTHER SIDE DISH.

ps I posted my venison chili recipe on the chili thread. Enjoy!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.