1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Got a new gun what did you have to do to it?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Nov 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

If you got a new trapgun or a new one to you what did you have to do to it?
    Do you check your trigger pull or release trigger with a gauge.
    What do you like the pull to be in ounces?
    What do you like the set and release to be in ounces?
    I have been told 56 ounce set and 28 ounce release is most desired, do you agree on this? This equals 3.5 pound set and 1.75 pound release!! or 50% of set
    Did you install a recoil device? What kind and why?
    What length of pull do you shoot?
    What angle pitch do you shoot?
    How much Offset does your stock have either right or left hand.
    Did you have to make changes to your stock?
    Were you satisfied with the trapgun?
    What trapgun was the most sucessful for you?
    What Barrell length do you like best for you?
    What do you feel Trapgun Mfgrs should do to their guns?
    Do you like choke tubes and why?
    If you could afford it would you buy a Stock Lock or a Pro Soft stock?
    Would you install a RAD, Counter Coil, Graco Etc.?

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

A lot of questions and hard to read.

Gary I suspect that you already know the answers to these questions seeing how you shoot a different gun every couple of weeks.

ss

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I see if it shoots straight by testing it and sell it if it doesn't. If it passes, I put on a stock which feels good and go shoot. I never do any of the rest of that stuff and just shoot it until I get another one. Then I do the same with it.

Neil

4. Clayshooter08

Clayshooter08 Member

Set-up the adj comb as close as I can tell in a mirror, pattern the gun and shoot some straight aways, then make tweaks SLOWLY!! Then check trigger and stuff...just my 2 cents!! Add whatever I needed, adj buttplate, etc.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I shoot it before I buy it, if it shoots straight I will make an offer. HMB

6. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Do all of the above with the exception of the Bisley grip, then get rid of the gun. In my experience, the gun that shoots to my standards hasn't been developed yet. They all miss targets!

Robert

7. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Gary... After owning more target shotguns than any man should, I finally bought a DB-81 combo that was bone stock just as it came from Perazzi. Since then, I have had Tom Wilkinson do the 34" single barrel. Backbored to .742" and choked to .707". Forcing cones removed completely. 32" O/U barrels left stock as they pattern just fine. Bottom barrel is .020" and the top barrel is .032". Installed a set of Precision Gold double release triggers in it. I wanted, and got, the best triggers available. Trigger sets at 88oz's, and releases at 26oz's. I prefer a heavier set point as it slows the trigger down for me and allows me to have total control over the trigger, especially when shooting doubles. I just recently put a custom stock on it, with neutral cast, no palm swell, etc. It has an extended pistol grip that is a little narrower than a stock Perazzi stock does which also seems to give me better control over the gun and the trigger. It has a Greg Hissam adjustable comb on it, a Jones pad adjuster, and capped off with a Kick-eez 403 "Modified" trap pad. Length of pull is 145/8". There is a C&H mercury reducer in the stock (16oz.) to help tame recoil. I would not use any of the aftermarket recoil devices available, with the exception of a Clyde Slyde. The rest seem, to me, to be way overpriced, and the Clyde Slyde does the same job for a whole lot less money. The reason I bought this gun is I have had a hard core love affair with the Perazzi DB-81 for many years and have always found it to be the smoothest handling gun to the target I have ever shot. After locating my current gun, which had all the required features I was looking for, such as fixed, factory chokes in all barrels, no modifications of any type ever done to it, and a gun in the 55XXX to 58XXX serial number range, I proceeded to make it "mine" by doing the modifications I wanted. Since I'm a left handed shooter, it had to be set up just right to fit me and shoot where I was looking so I spent a little extra time doing it. I now have the trap gun I want, with all the things I look for in a target shotgun. I couldn't be happier, and wouldn't trade it off for any other gun available. No need to, I've got what I want..... Just my experience.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

8. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have owned a lot of trapguns over the years, so many I cannot remember them.
    Shoot one great and trade it off for another one. Have owned numerous Model 12s, Seitz guns, Perazzi TM-1, TMX, MX-15s, MX-2000s, Mach One, Franchi Combos, 530 Autos, 870s, 1100s, 1187s,Beretta 682s,680,303,390,391, Devault Custom 391, adj. rib, custom wood,Caesar Guerini's, Cole, K-80s, KS-5, KX-5,
    Browning Broadways,BT-99s, BT-100s, Burlie Wilson has my old BT-100 w/moneymaker rib, won't sell it back to me Win 1400s,1200s,Grade 4 Ithaca,
    Rotweill AAT, just to name a few.

I listed them but they came out all run together in my original post.
    Like the REM 90-T I had the high shooting rib installed on it, as well as my Kolars I had the high shooting ribs,I have stocks cut to 14"LOP and zero pitch.
    I have my release triggers set to 56oz set and 28oz release.

Was wonering what others have done to their trapguns.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

9. KennyP

KennyP TS Member

I bought a Kolar, it was fitted at Kolar, I did absolutely nothing to after I got it and it crushes targets. Get any gun fitted and you should never have to touch it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.