1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Got a home made cartridge cleaner?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

I know we focus on shotguns here for the most part. But, I figured there must be a few of you here reloading brass and using your own home made case cleaner. Just trying to cut costs. Plus, the products you buy on the open market always come in plastic bottles that always get brittle with time and make a mess. Any help is appreciated. Jim

2. shaggist

shaggist Member

Put your brass in a glass jar in which you have mixed a pint of white vinegar and 2 heaping tablespoons of salt. Let it sit for 5 minutes, take out the brass, and rinse well in tap water. Let the brass air dry or put on a cookie sheet and dry it in the oven at 130 degrees for several hours. It will give the tumbling medium less to do, and tumbling may not be necessary at all.

Jack

3. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

years ago I had a junk electric type writer I butchered and taped the button down but it would spin a 3 pound coffee can full of walnut and cleaned cases up good. Typewriters should be pretty cheap at Salvation army or good will.

Or Harbor frieght has them faitly cheap

Jerry Lewis

4. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Busti, I'm looking for a liquid solution to mix up. Thanks though for tipping us off to using an typewriter for the spinning of the can. Jim

5. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Acetic acid + salt (NaCl) = HCl , you bet it cleans off oxidation but it also will dissolve copper/zinc alloys (Brass)

This is a wheel that does not need to be reinvented. Just get a vibratory cleaner and some clean media and a bottle of polish from Dillon or Lyman or RCBS or ..... many options.

A typewriter? Seriously ???????

6. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

To turn it to a more relevant note, what about hulls? I used Tide in the wash tub and then spread the hulls on the basement floor to air out. Other than the significant other raising h*ll over the mess in the wash tub, (could be why she left...) it seemed to work ok. Big thing was the reduced mess during reloading process. I seem to recall someone using an old cement mixer?

HJH

7. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

I use 1 tbs. citric acid powder (canning supply) and 1 tsp liquid dish detergent (for soap effect) mixed in 1 gal water. Rinse well with hot water. Punch out primers first to clean pocket and to allow residue free drying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.