1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Goshen College, Goshen Indian, Star spangled banna

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by b12, Jun 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Would you beleive this stuff. Goshen College of Goshen Indiana will not play the star splangled banner anymore cause the say it insigts hostilities.
    The college is a menonite college. Thats fine. The star spangled banner is about the struggels our for fathers went thru so some sob head of the college can say this. I think these people have their nose to close to the horses ass on their way in to the game. Its lucky the horse knows the way home cause these people are still high on horse shit from the ride in. Wild Bill

2. Mapper

Mapper Member

This is incomprehensible. I once lived and worked in Goshen and it isn't that far from my current home. Amazing!! I would expect that will not stand for long.

3. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

It's a Quaker school. As pacifist I can see we they wouldn't play a song about War of 1812 battle.

4. philk

philk Member

I live in Goshen, the college had a big hand in getting rid of local gun shows to.

5. rev

rev TS Member

Goshen College is not Quaker, its Mennonite. They have a long-standing history of pacifism. They will serve in the armed services, but in
    non-combatant roles. They are not changing because of current political trends, but merely exercising their God-given American heritage. It might help to do some reading on their history and also their long-standing support of America. Squibb

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with it as long as they MOVE TO ANOTHER COUNTRY!!!! No wonder this Country is so F'd up.

7. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Yes rev, Mennonite. The news article I read said Quaker. Both pacifist. I first thought it was an error in the article, but I googled the issue and found that in the mid-west it is common to refer to Mennonites as quakers (not Quakers as in the Religious Society of Friends). There was even a post from an alumni of Goshen College referring to herself as both a quaker and a Mennonite.

But I have no problem with a private or religious college founded by pacifist to not perform a song about a battle. Though not a Catholic, I'm surprised to see Catholic colleges less devoted to Catholic teachings than I would expect from a such a school.

Besides, there are much better songs we should have chosen for our National Anthem.

8. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Well now, master, let's hear what we should have chosen for our National Anthem! I am sure with all your education and liberal bullshit, you have some suggestions! Tom Rhoads

9. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Okay tcr1146 -

How about "America" ("My County 'Tis of Thee")?

Or is it just liberal bullshit?

10. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Or "America The Beautiful"?

Or is this more liberal bullshit?

11. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Or "God Bless America"?

Any liberal bullshit here?

12. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

BTW - Liberal icon Woodrow Wilson first ordered "Star Spangled Banner" to be played at military services.

But Woodrow Wilson was a tower of liberal bullshit.

13. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I would suggest those that are not content with this Country and its "National Anthem", move to another. I'm sure there are many countries that would welcome you with open arms and allow you to change their anthem. Or then again you may be beheaded. Either way i'm tired of some of the stupid a$$ ungrateful people in the USA. If your so discontented don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya!!! If the shoe fits anybody on this thread then wear it.

14. JohnBT

JohnBT TS Member

"will not play the star splangled banner"

Would you at least have the decency to show respect for the song by capitalizing it.

At least the school had a reason for not using the song. You on the other hand mistreated it rudely.

15. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Quakers and Mennonites were here and practicing their pacifism long before there was such a song as "The Star Spangled Banner", and before the poem, and bombardment of Fort McHenry. They were here before the Bill of Rights, the Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, and the birth of the USA.

I don't know what their practices are today, but for most of our history they would not take off their hats in church, or before a judge, nor in the presence of the flag. Many still won't Pledge Allegiance to the Flag.

16. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Goshen Indiana? Isn't that where a couple members of "The Electric Amish" hail from?

One of the top rock classics of all times is "He's from Goshen". LOL

17. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Great Sousa at link.

18. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

It's the Washington Post March. Unfortunately is was named after today's liberal Washington Post. Washington Post must have been a different paper then.

19. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

A few facts about the Star Spangled Banner, My country tis of thee and America the Beautiful.

"The Star-Spangled Banner" was recognized for official use by the Navy in 1889 and the President in 1916, and was made the national anthem by a congressional resolution on March 3, 1931 (46 Stat. 1508, codified at 36 U.S.C. ยง 301), which was signed by President Herbert Hoover.

Before 1931, other songs served as the hymns of American officialdom. "Hail, Columbia" served this purpose at official functions for most of the 19th century. "My Country, 'Tis of Thee", whose melody is identical to the British national anthem,[3] also served as a de facto anthem before the adoption of "The Star-Spangled Banner."[4] Following the War of 1812 and subsequent American wars, other songs would emerge to compete for popularity at public events, among them "The Star-Spangled Banner."

Sheet music version"America the Beautiful" is an American patriotic song. The lyrics were written by Katharine Lee Bates and the music composed by church organist and choirmaster Samuel A. Ward.

Bates originally wrote the words as a poem, Pikes Peak, first published in the Fourth of July edition of the church periodical The Congregationalist in 1895. At that time, the poem was titled America for publication.

Ward had originally written the music, Materna, for the 19th century hymn O Mother dear, Jerusalem in 1882. Ward's music combined with the Bates poem was first published in 1910 and titled America the Beautiful.

The song is one of the most beloved and popular of the many American patriotic songs.[1] From time to time it has been proposed as a replacement for The Star-Spangled Banner as the National Anthem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.