1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

gosh darn it!!! dinged my rib

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hunter870, Jul 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hunter870

hunter870 Member

My Beretta BL4 got knocked over and put a lovely dent in the vent rib. I tried that little tool Brownells sells to raise a dented rib, but there's not enough clear space for the little prongs to get puchase enough to pull up the rib.

Anyone have a suggestion where I can get this fixed? This is my old field gun, so I don't want to spend a mint. My picture down the rib hasn't changed when I shoulder the gun, but knowing the dent is there plays with my head....besides, it looks like heck.

All advice welcomed.

(I may regret that last sentence...)

Thanks

2. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

I had that happen to me once, a few guns back.

What I did to fix the dent was crude, simple and it worked like magic.

I took two small wood shims, the kind you would use to install a door or window in your home. Just start the skinny ends of the shims between the rib and barrel under the dent (of course). One shim from each side of the rib. Tap the thick ends of the wood shims lightly and evenly. As the shims gain thickness under the rib, up comes the dent.

Dont over-do-it, and take it slow. Like I said to start with, it was a crude fix. I accept no responsibilities........

Best of Luck in your efforts.

Matt

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Matt has the right idea but I will add this put a small clamp on the rib posts to keep from pulling it off the post . (seen it done)

4. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Leo Harrison shot his DT for a few years with a deep ding in his rib. Said he really didn't notice much.

5. dshot

dshot Member

the wooden shims work, a friend used two flate bladeed screw drivers to raise his rib.

6. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I used two wooden shims I made up by taking the old fashioned clamp clothes pin with the spring in the middle. I removed the spring and had my shims. The wood they use make the pins is very hard. Worked great. Took most of the ding out of the rib, it looks okay, but I can still feel it with my finger tips.

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Large screwdriver and piece of thin wood or plastic.

8. hunter870

hunter870 Member

thanks folks...i'll try the wedges (and clamps) this weekend and let you know how it turns out.

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

old popsicle sticks work great

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.