1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Goose season is almost here

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by hrosik123, Aug 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

September first starts early season goose here in New Jersey. Our bag limit is 15 daily. I can't wait. All my decoys are ready just need the calander to catch up. How many people and states plan to take part in and have an early goose season. They're as plentiful as squirels around here. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

2. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Chuck---Where can U hunt with out going on private prop?sjb---

3. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Believe it or not I've had great sucess at Medford WMA. This year should be even better because they leased out a few fields to a farmer who planted soy so the geese will have a large landing zone. I'll be at Pinevalley on Sunday if you wnat I'll talk to you about it there. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

4. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Sept. 1st is our Early Opener. Like taking candy from a baby, except I hate cleaning geese when its' 78-85 degrees.

5. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I'm jealous......

They only let us shoot FIVE sky carp here in Wisconsin.

Sw

6. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Stonewall, you can't imagine how bad they are around here. Soon enough they're wings will become vestigial limbs that are useless for flight. The local golf course has about 60 of them that never leave. I don't know how bad your resident population has become but out of all the birds I shot last year only 2 had bands. That tells me that it's getting pretty bad. I goose and duck hunt as many times as I can from start to end of season, so I take my fair share. Something needs to happen here. I just wish they would open up Sunday hunting here. Days in the field are equal to time in church for me. Hope you can bring down the rain. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

7. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

I've got about 30 bands on my lanyard, but they do not band as many around here anymore. Only got hardware once last year. Used to get 4-6 a year.

Main problem we have is the damn things are so smart. One day in a field and you are done for 2-3 weeks they won't come back. Only have a handful of places with permission to hunt so we don't get enough chances at them.

You can't hunt on Sundays??

SW

8. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Not here. Sunday is church time. The state is allowing bow hunting on private land on Sunday. Guess it's a start. Lots of people overlook going to local township offices and getting maps to public access land. I've found a few gems that most overlook cause they don't do the research. I'm sure that you can find public land that you can hunt closer than you think. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

9. cafowler

cafowler Member

Good post, very timely.

Wish we had an early season here. DFG doesn't even want to try to put one on, they'd rather just cull the locals. I've been seeing large flocks getting very active in just the last week. Lots of wheat was just harvested and birds were hitting it hard tonight on my way home. I think the RP will get out of hand, probably already is in our state, and an early season will have little effect in controlling the Residents. Saw one flock two years ago scouting for doves that was probably 2,000 birds plus in one 75 acre field. Just a shame they were off-limits for another month and half.

Good luck, I always enjoy early season pix guys put up at Flocknockers.com

10. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

On one hand cafowler we have an early goose season, you have a regular goose season, you have dove, we have no dove. Good eating and fast birds. I'd love to have a dove season back. It all takes time. We can take 3 woodies when before we could only take 1. 5 years ago seeing a turkey was unheard of. Now they are all over. We may not understand the conservation policies put in place but here they seem to be working. Good luck hitting the waterfowl this year. Seems to be shaping up here pretty good. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

11. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Sept. 1st thru the 25th here in Delaware too. Plenty of golf course geese for all.

The most fun will be the early Teal season (9/11 to 9/29), except for the green head flies!!!

Curt

12. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

We can't start taking ducks till October, but I agree with what you said about the teals. Fun birds to watch, shoot, and eat. Tasty. Now you got me thinking about Duck season, Thanks. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

13. whosyourdaddy

whosyourdaddy Member

I received permission to hunt a posted 300 acre farm by helping the owner with his goose problem. I shoot 4 geese off of his deck every day of the early season, and give the geese to an Amish family down the road. It's not very sporting, but I figure I am helping two families out, and it gives me access to some of the best deer hunting I have ever experienced. It amazes me how the wildlife loving property owners change their opinions on hunting when a couple hundred geese invade their ponds and lakes. I think geese are the dirtiest animals I have ever encounterd.

14. Herb Roach

Herb Roach Member

whosyourdaddy: You sound like you live in my neighborhood? Southern Indiana. We have an Amish population that pretty much covers a 15 X 15 mile area and if you look at it from the top of a high hill, it looks like a huge town, except few business buildings. I want to shoot the geese at the golf course now because they are a public nuisance and a threat to health because of their numbers and their droppings. Can you imagine the protest if dogs were allowed to run wild, mess up public property and multiply without restraint. Maybe I should be an activist and start a protest against geese? I'll think about it. Odon, IN

15. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Here ya go Chuck...just a month (or so) away....

Good hunting on the geese, I'll wait to the migratory season starts in November.

Curt

[​IMG]

16. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Curt, nice pic. I talked to at length down at Millington. I was the guy with the French Brittany. Looks like some good eating ya got there. Knock em dead. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

How do you cook those things without using a brick or and old board, then eating the old board or brick, and throwing the goose away. I'm serious, I don't know how to cook them. Give me some ideas, other than the brick or board.........

18. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

I like to cook mine in my smoker. Deep fried like a turkey isn't bad either. Taste depends on what they've been eating. Corn fed taste delicious, ones that have been eating pond scum taste like pond scum. Tons of good recipies out there. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

19. aabradley82

aabradley82 TS Member

Geese sept 4th morning then eat a bait of BBQ and off to the DOVE Shoot. Hope the grey rockets stay around for Opening Day this time. Geese make decent jerky and had luck cutting them up into small pieces and frying.

Andrew

20. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Lit's got a good recipe.....

I do the same (crockpot) however I like to use the canned pie filling, sometimes apple, sometimes cherry.

Slice (crosscut or bias) the meat thin and enjoy.

Curt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.