1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Goose loads for Turkey?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Luckyman, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

I am going turkey hunting in a couple weeks for the first time and have some 3 inch 1 1/2 ounce heavy shot 1300 FPS BB goose loads left over and was wondering if these would also be effective on a Big-ol-Tom?

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

It would darn sure hill him! Why would you use such a load? As said, it may not be legal as generally 2's are as large as I've seen in regs.

3. magnumthunder

magnumthunder Member

in Minnesota 4's is the largest you can use!

4. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

BB's are just too big, and when you look at what brings a turkey down it is the hits to the head and neck. Go with the the smaller pellet size and it will do a better job on getting your bird.

GS

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Have you ever turkey hunted before? You're not trying for a body shot, but a head shot. The head is a small area, and you've got to have a lot of pellet density for a kill. A killing shot is considered to be at least three pellets into the brain and neck bones. Here are some turkey targets that you can test your gun, choke, sights and shells on to see how effect they are and at what range.<br>
    <br>
    [​IMG]<br>
    http://rolltidebama.com/turkeypics/target.gif<br>
    <br>
    [​IMG]<br>
    http://www.turkeyhuntinginc.com/images/turkeytarget.jpg<br>
    <br>
    Remember, you need at least three pellets consistently into the brain and/or neck bones (spinal cord) to ensure a kill.<br>
    <br>
    My favorite turkey loads are Remington Premier 3" 2oz #5's. These have plated hard shot. I find that, through a super full turkey choke (.665") I'm easily getting a killing pattern at 50 yards. And that's a full ten yards more than the best lead based shot that Federal makes (the Federal shot wound up cubed after going through the same choke tube).<br>
    http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/shotshell/turkey/premier_magnum.asp

6. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

Luckyman,

Many states do not allow shot sizes larger than #4 in the spring season.

I shoot either 2oz of # 5 Winchester lead or 1 5/8 of # 6 or 5 heavy shot. Both shells or 3".

The secret to a clean kill is allowing the gobbler to get into range and shoot him in the head and neck. I try to bring him into the 25 - 35 yard "circle of death"

Being new, I suggest you have a great deal of patience. If you have the opportunity to hunt with an experienced turkey hunter that has killed a few birds, take it.

Good luck and have a safe hunt.

Dr. Honk

7. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

If you want to body kill him the load will work fine but the turkey may be shot up in the areas you would like to eat. As has been said... Small shot in the head is the preffered method to kill a gobbler and there may be legal reasons not to do it. Jeff

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    It's not just getting shot in areas you want to eat. Depending on the conditions, it's getting the shot into the body in the first place. Turkey's are fairly well "armored" by their heavy feathers. Shot has been known to not penetrate into the body, even large shot, at longer ranges.<br>
    <br>
    Another reason for mandated small shot is the safety factor. Small pellets become less dangerous as range increases compared to large shot. This gives an extra margin of safety when you're hunting. Not only are you in full camo and may not be seen, but others may not be seen. Especially when tactics like "run and gun" are used. And when you're sitting behind fairly realistic decoys and someone with poor eyesight thinks they've come across real turkeys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shooting turkey with goose load