1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Goose hunters need help??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bodybuilder, Oct 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I'm shooting an 11-87 with a Remington choke that says full steel or lead and 2 3/4 in steel 2's. I'm getting some geese but it seems they need to be inside 40 yards and head or neck shot. I shot one 3 times the other day and it still was'nt dead. What do I need to change for better range and killing power? These birds seem as tough to kill as a turkey

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If you continue to use steel, I would advise BB or T size. Steel does not have as much sock power as lead.

If you REALLY want to floor them use Hevi-shot. If you can afford it. My favorite was #4 buck 3 inch. Not legal unfortunately.

Serious goose hunters use a 10 ga or a 1 & 1/2 inch, although I found my 3 inch BPS very adequate when I had good ammo.

good luck.

HM

3. Bentley998

Bentley998 Member

Based on a couple of years shooting in the Moses Lake WA area with Northflight Waterfowl- here are some ideas

Northflight recommends BB shot- I used 3" magnum loads (Hevi shot or Black cloud) with a modified choke
    Seems to fold them up without much of a problem

Shoot well !!

4. logndog

logndog TS Member

I defiantly agree with the above concerning shot size. I shoot nothing but BB's out of an improved modified choke. I also shoot ducks with the same. Steel shot doesn't deform and tear like lead, hence not tearing the meat like lead BB's would. Remember, it's easy just to shoot at that big goose but the only target you have is the little head! You need to head shoot them to drop them dead. Many people think that they have enough lead, but that logo neck can be deceiving. Just my opinion.
    Earnie Ross III

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

BBB's or T's with steel are best for geese. Hevi shot, tungsten Matrix, Bismuth are all better than steel thru a full choke. Since BB, BBB, and T's are so much larger in diameter, a smaller choke diameter actually patterns better. Too tight of a choke can screw up a pattern with steel shot. At 40 yards with T's, my IC shoots a better pattern than MOD with my Benelli. If you PM me, I'll send you the pattern data for a Remington, Beretta, Super x-2 and Benelli with steel, Tungsten Matrix, and Bismuth, and what shot the best pattern at 40 yards.

Your steel #2's are too small for long shots on Geese.

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I still state that "Steel Shot" should be outlawed, especially when used by a bunch of pilgrims and bunny buster's!!

The 10 ga. is for the most disadvantaged pilgrims!!

Curt

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Get some of the non-steel lead substitute shot (Hevi-Shot, bismuth, Black Cloud, etc.) in a 3" shell. You want maximum payload for shooting past 40 yards in order to have pattern density. Also, go get a large cardboard box from an appliance store (like a stove or dishwasher box), tape a goose target or draw one on paper and tape it to the box, and test your shells with a mod and a full choke at 50 yards. If you are getting multiple strikes on the body and no big holes in the pattern you're good to go. The reason for both the mod and full choke is that some pellet types pattern one choke size tighter. Steel through a mod choke often patterns full. Steel through a full choke can either pattern extra full or sometimes the pattern is blown from being overchoked. You will not know until you test your shells and choke.

Save the 2-3/4" shells for closer ranges. I know there are goose hunters who use them and have no problem. But they're old hands at it. You're not, else you would not be asking these questions. Not belittling you... I'm not good enough myself to use the smaller shells.

8. white rattler

white rattler Member

Nothing kills geese like those old Rem. high brass green hull 3" # 2 or 4 shot in lead. Dead out to 90 yards. I am now shooting 3 1/2 " BBs out of a new Super X 3 and not getting the clean kills we did 20 years ago. Trevor Dawe.

9. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

#7 steel and a head shot for swatter loads.

10. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I have a hevi shot choke tube that says super full steel or lead maybe I should use that?

11. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

.25 is the tightest constriction that should be used with steel shot. 3" BB and BBB are plenty to kill geese stone cold dead at 40-50 yards. 3 1/2" shells are a waste of money. A steel shot substitute gets real expensive fast but it performs closer to what lead did. Lead was awesome in 2's and BB's on 60-70 yard geese. But those days are over.

12. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

All the shot advice is OK except for T shot. I don't have a gun in my safe that patterns the stuff.
    The biggest secret to killing geese or for any waterfowl is always swing fast enough with enough lead to hit the bird in the leading 1/3. #2 lead will knock a bird out of the air with a body hit, but since we cannot use that deadly stuff any more, head and neck with anything up to 4's will get the job done.
    Head Down and Keep Swinging.

13. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I have been using the Hevi Metal shells with great success. Its cheaper than the Hevi shot but has some in there. Seems to be cleaner than Black Cloud. It will rip through the breast meat something fierce but not enough for a clean kill.

14. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

I have had a lot of success over the last 6 years shooting 3", 1 1/4 oz BBB Kent Fasteel. I shoot a Remington 870 with a modified choke. This combo works well in the field and over water.
    If you want to start stacking the geese, listen to the good doctor.
    I didn't get this handle for nothing.

Dr. Honk

15. Grade VI

Grade VI Member

I have used Federal's Black Cloud ammo for the last year and I am a firm believer. I like to use NO. 2's in the early season and switch to BB's in the winter. Most of the geese that I shot last year ( 40 or so ) it was hard to find a BB in them because they pass right through. I only use 3 inch shells. If I can;t kill them with a 3 in., they are too far away. I like a modified choke and have killed geese at 60 yards. Tom

16. Setterman

Force break, Re: T's, you are probably shooting a choke with too much constriction. When the 3 1/2" Benelli came out, we found that T's with an IC choke was a killer load on both field ducks and geese. Then Tungsten Matrix showed up. 3" 1's were like shooting lead again (except in the wallet).

The advantage of the 3 1/2" rockets was shot count with BB, BBB, and T's.

17. markc2

markc2 Member

Black Coud 3" BBB's. Dead goose if you do your part.

18. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

10ga Browning auto mag, using "T's" will knock down anything.

19. Setterman

From an article in November's Sporting Clays magazine. "For large geese, BBB steel has been shown to be the most affective, although BBs and 1's are good for light geese". He then mentions that dense non toxics will increase performance.

markc2 is also correct about Black Cloud 3" BBB's. Great load. Check your chosen load on paper at 35-40 yards with multiple chokes.

If you shoot a .722-.724 bore Beretta or Benelli, an IC or LM choke may work better than MOD. A Super X-2 with a .745 bore may shoot better with a IMOD or tighter choke.

There is nearly .020 difference in the bore of these 2 guns, so a tight choke in a Beretta or Benelli really can affect large shot patterns as it trys to exit the choke. Too tight will affect the shot pattern. Thats why Benelli chokes tighter than MOD say "No Steel".

20. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

When steel was to be used on ducks and geese I know alot of people who will not use it.

In Va if you do not get that duck and or goose that is willfuly wasting. The GW will write you up. A friend who was on the Bay was a big time duck hunter. He tried steel and saw alot of ducks just fly away but at about 100 or more yards away just fall out of the sky in an area you just couldn't find the duck. He didn't have that much trouble with lead. When he did get a duck and or goose he would take the duck or goose by the necka and shake it. You could hear the steel shot just fall out of the feathers. He said that wouldn't happen with lead.

It maybe against the law to use lead but I don't like seeing game lost to poor shells.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.