1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Goose hunters need advise please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Aug 25, 2013.

1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

1 week till the opening of Canada Goose season. This year I'll be shooting the 3 1/2" 12 ga. But my question is what choke using BBB size shot? Now they make extended waterfowl chokes and I read on Carlsons sight to never use a flush tube with large steel shot. I have one of the older Hevi shot extended tubes but just not sure what to use some people say no more than a modified. I know pattern the gun but I just don't want to hurt the gun using the wrong tube. Advise please

2. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

What kind of BBB shot?

3. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Will you be shooting over decoys or pass shooting?

4. white rattler

white rattler Member

Imp. mod. A week today in Alberta. Trevor Dawe

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

mod probably

old wifes tale about never use a flush choke

Regards from Iowa

Gene

PS- 3.5 will give you no better results than 3 inch

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

You want a choke with a constriction (I.D.)of .705-.710 +/-. That would be a full choke in a gun with a .740 bore (Browning/Winchester), IMod in a .735 bore, and a Mod choke in a Beretta or Benelli with .724 bore.

A Mod choke in a Benelli SBE is the best choke.

7. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

Pass shooting with a Remington

8. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

You really think I can't tell a difference in 3" and 3 1/2"? I heard it was the closest thing to a 10 you could get, I can tell a difference in pass shooting geese with a 2 3/4 and 3".

9. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Well-Known Member

Some of the choke manufacturers say to NOT to go tighter than a Modified choke with BBB steel shot.

10. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

I use a regular Remchoke modified (flush) in my 870 3.5" with good results. I was just out patterning on Friday. Using 3.5" Remington BBB @ 1300 fps I got a good pattern @ 40 yards. (Good meaning no holes goose size) I got a good pattern with Winchester Blindside 3.5" BB @ 1400 fps also. Although the Winchester was denser it was only because the smaller shot size puts more pellets in the pattern, the patterns were comparable. I tested down range energy @ 60 yards using some old hard board from an old piece of cheap furniture. The Blindside poked a 1/16" deep hole in the wood while the Remington, although 100 fps slower, poked an 1/8" hole in the wood. From my testing I will stick with BBBs using the modified Remchoke choke tube for goose hunting.

Joe

11. Jbgoosehunter1

Jbgoosehunter1 TS Member

Get a paternmaster. Designed to shoot large sized steel shot. It will shorten your shotstring by 15' there is no better tube for geese period. They also make a new tube called code black goose. No FPS faster than 1550. I'd recommend kent 1 shot at 1550 fps 3.5". Good luck

12. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

I agree; get a Patternmaster choke tube & if you're determined to shoot 3-1/2" shells, make sure they only have 1-3/8 oz of shot in them, otherwise use 3" shells or a 10ga.

13. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

What constriction are these Patternmaster choke tubes and what's your bore diameter? Just curious.

14. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

I have one for a Remington .729 bore & have never measured it. I just know I've made some great shots on ducks, geese, & turkeys with it over the years.

15. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

Man Up, go to the hip and shoot Hevi-Shot at 3 bucks a pop. In the course of a season it will cost you what?...another $30. I have too much respect for the big birds to wound them. Steel was sh*t in 1992 when it was mandated, and it is still sh*t! I still use the same M12 3" that I'v used for 30 years, and it still gets the job done cleanly.

16. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

The biggest joke in the world is a Patternmaster. Great choke for people who do not pattern a shotgun as they will have no idea it's a joke.

I love the shotstring argument. It's said that the hardest thing about shooting steel shot is the short shot string. So we are going to take a shot string that is short and hard to hit with and make it shorter??

Bottom-line? You can talk patternmaster hocus pocus all you want. It comes down to holes in the pattern plate. I don't care how they get there or in what time frame it happens.

If the holes are not there the load doesn't work. Long shot string or short shot string.
    I spent over 300.00 on patternmaster chokes and none of them put as many holes in the pattern paper with big shot as the briley LM did in my SP-10's or the Browning Gold 10's. I sold the chokes on Gunbroker.com to some other deluded individuals.

The pattern masters real magic is that it is an IC choke and that the average guys doesn't shoot over 40 yards and never patterns his gun.

If he does either, he finds that it's a joke in short order.

I have tried every long range choke on the market and I have never seen any "magic choke? I.E Patternmaster or Terror choke that pattern any different then any other choke of the same constriction at the same range.

The Patternmaster is a case of the Emperor's new clothes.

17. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

P.S To answer your question. Your factory modified choke will most likely be just fine. Pattern it at 45 yards or at what ever distance will be your max shot. BBB's have the energy to kill honkers at 50 yards but seldom have the pattern in a 12ga gun. 3 1/2's included. Again... I have patterned them all and the best 3 1/2 inch gun was the Mossberg 835 Ultimag in the 3 1/2 inch shell.

Why do you think that was? Simple they have a 10ga barrel with a 12 ga chamber. Bore was .780 on the Mossberg Ultimag.

The Beneli and the Remington were a case of cramming 10 pounds of oats in a 5 pound sack. Better patterns then the 3 inch 1 1/4 loading but not by enough to make that big of a difference since even the 3 1/2 inch Mossberg was getting real thin at 50 yards.

BBB's are my choice for all shooting under 45 yards be it ducks or geese.

If I will be ( or might be!) shooting over 45 yards I shoot the 10ga with T's. TT's or if it's real warm BBB's. Jeff

18. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Notquite & Jeff are correct.

Hyper-steel shells & hocus locus choke tubes are for the bunny busters & pilgrims!!!

Curt

19. Bigcat

Bigcat Active Member

12 ga 3 inch Kent fast steel or Remington sportsman BB is all I use and kill
    geese and sea ducks out to 50 yards no problem.
    John

20. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

I shoot a long range Black cloud Carlson choke tube in my SX-2 I shoot 3" #1 shot for Canadians, just knocks the snot out of them at 20-30 yards when they are back peddleing and feet out, but so could a .410. Get them close and shoot whatever you already have, it will work just fine. Choke tubes are a gimic, which I fell for but hey whatever you have confidence in will work, just like shooting trap. I just love shooting Canadians, its like shooting airplanes with huge black wheels right in your face!!! I wish the limit was higher though, nothing worse then shooting your limit in one flock for all the work you go thru to hunt them!!!!

Search tags for this page
patternmaster anaconda long range review

patternmaster anaconda review

patternmaster anaconda vs code black
patternmaster code black goose

patternmaster code black goose pass shooting

patternmaster code black review
patternmaster goose review
patternmaster vs carlson mid range