1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

goose breast

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Kevin Nelson, Dec 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

Has anyone ever cured or smoked a canada goose breast with any sucsess, if so can you please share your secrets.

2. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

This question has a lot to do with the reason I do not hunt geese anymore. In my families eyes there is no good way to cook a duck or a goose and make it taste any good at all.
    Good luck!

3. 1939 gunner

1939 gunner Member

i take my breast pepper it put rome rosemary oil oil and put it iun a frying pan just brown it on bort sider so the middle is warn.it is rare but try it is really good. besides that it mades great jerky. good luck wade

4. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Goose Chili! nuff said! cannot tell the difference between goose and beef!

5. Erik W

Erik W Member

Send it to guy who does your venison sausage.

6. Garry

Garry Active Member

Kevin,

I can't help you with smoking a goose but we make a lot of goose jerky and my favorite way to cook goose or duck breast is in the crockpot.

Here's the recipe for the crockpot goose.

• 1 large onion
    • 1/2 green pepper
    • 2-3 garlic cloves-chopped
    • Couple tablespoons of olive oil-saute
    • 2-3lbs goose or duck breasts cubed
    • 1 teaspoon cumin
    • Salt and pepper(lots of pepper)
    • 1-2 cups tomato sauce
    • 1 cup red wine
    • Simmer low heat till breasts are tender and well done

This recipe works great on duck breasts as well.

7. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

I just did Speckelbelly breasts last Sat night. Seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder,and TexJoy Steak Seasoning then put on the grill until med-rear. Great taste and tender.

8. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

My early experiences with Canadian geese in Western New York were not good. The light geese we get in Texas are much better to eat. We have experienced cooks that can do anything with a goose breast that you can do with beef tenderloin. I am not one of them but I get to eat some of their creations. Good stuff! Ron

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

A member of our club does smoke them. I know not what they taste like

10. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Smoked goose breast is delicious. A real good rub is important. When you put your breast in the smoker put some slices of bacon over the breast. Adds to yhe flavor. If you really want a good recipe then try it deep fried. Brine the goose overnight. For this you need to pluck the goose and remove the pin feathers. After a good 12 hour soak fry it up. About 2 minutes per pound does the trick. You'll never pass on a goose again. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

11. JamieK

JamieK TS Member

Smokeing Waterfowl only takes a couple more steps than smokin' anything else. The first thing and prolly most important is:NEVER OVER COOK IT. Waterfowl must be eatin rare if you are not wanting shoe leather. This goes for not only smoked waterfowl but also if you cut the breast into chunks, flour it and then deep fry. If you fry them well done you might as well shoot the through your Wrist Rocket at cats.

If the bird is plucked, thats good cause the skin will protect it during the smoking process. If you have just breast, I would try wrapping them in bacon and adding either orange slices or appel slices. Ducks and geese have no fat in the flesh like beef and pork do, there fore are prone to dry-out if cooked any further past rare. Both the friut and bacon will add moisture to the meat to prevent drying while it smokes. Cooking time would be trial and error. Internal temp would be an educated guess at 120 to 130 degrees.(just a guess, I have never personaly measure internal temp)

Well that is my 2cents. I been a waterfowl guide for nearly 20 yrs. and have eaten those birds prolly just about everyway imaginable....
    Good luck and God Bless... Jamie Knope

12. eyegoods

eyegoods TS Member

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I am not a fan of duck and goose meat but I don't mind goose jerky which is smoke dried breast meat that has been marinated. Easy enough to do and it is a good way to use the stuff up.

Jamie K. is right on the money about not over cooking this meat. A well known big dog trap shooter from California has a a similar secret recipie for goose and he likes to make up a bunch of those treats and pass them around during the beverage hour after shooting. Most people can't believe they are eating goose and his supply goes quickly.

14. otnot

otnot Active Member

The one thing everyone who posted has right is not to over cook it or it's as tough as an old boot. I like to bone it off the breast and brine it for a couple of hours in Yoshitas then smoke it as cool as you can(80 degrees) for a couple of hours then finish smoking it until it's about 140 degrees or rare. Then let it cool. Slice it very thin and serve with crackers and cheese and of course beer.

15. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Wife wouldn't eat Goose, ever before I served it one time in a bowl full of Heinz Roast Beef Gravey.

I boned it off the breast, and cooked it like any other goose breast..She wasn't home...

When she arrived I had it sliced and in a pan full of the gravey and told her I cooked up a roast special for her to try...

She ate it like it was never going to be ahd again...

After the meal I told her what it was and her reply was "NO WAY"!!!

When we lived in Central NY, it was a fall delight every year.

Dave in SC

16. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

Duck cannot be overcooked or you ruin it. It needs to be cooked with high heat and eaten rare. I like the unique taste of wild duck but know it isn't for everyone. Most people have eaten fattened up domestic animals for so long that they have lost the ability to enjoy natural game meat. That is why we have so much heart disease, to much unnatural fat. My son-in-law cooks his goose for several hours in a crockpot. When he is done with it the texture is like roast beef and most of the wild taste that many don't like is gone. I eat mine on a sandwich with cheese melted over it just like I would leftover roast beef.

17. skeezix

skeezix Member

I've done several things with canada geese. I skin the geese and let them age for several days in the refrigerator before I do anything.

Brined overnight and smoked - excellent. I used a variation on the Alton Brown turkey brine- but used beef broth instead of vegetable broth.

Breast them and grill breasts medium or medium rare, helps to butterfly them so the cook a little more uniformly. I take the legs, thighs, wings and whatever other meat I can get off of the carcass and grind it up for sausage. Goose salami (50/50 with ground pork) is hard to beat.

I have several breasts in a corned beef brine right now. The couple I tried earlier this year were outstanding. If I get ambitious I might try smoking a couple of the corned breasts and making a pastrami. I expect it would be hard to distinguish it from a good beef pastrami.

As near as I can tell - properly aging them is about the most important thing you can do to them - along with not overcooking them.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

crockpot goose breasts