1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Goose and Duck hunting tips???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Tron, Dec 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have a customer of mine that would like to take me Goose/Duck hunting in the not so distant future. I plan on using a 391 with 3" loads for geese, but I'm not sure of what type of shot, fps, etc. He has some great property with heated blinds and it sounds like a good time.

Any additional info??

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I always used 2 steel, but the first week when the birds were dumb I used 4's.

Keep some BB or T steel for when a goose shows up. Use a gun with a magazine cutoff if you have one, to change loads quick.

Field dress your birds and cool them in the water right away.

We always skin waterfowl, cook in cast iron pan with onions and some bacon over the breast. YUM

Divers don't taste as good as puddle ducks, cause they eat a lot of mollusks and shellfish.

Cans and pintails are top eating, mallards next.

HM

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

#2 steel min. for ducks, BB, BBB, or T's for Geese. A Mod choke shoots the steel the best out of a 391, except T's, use an IC choke. However, I would spend the extra bucks and buy bismuth or Tungsten Matrix, and shoot full choke so you can reach out and touch 'em. On a hunt like this, the cost of the shells will be minimal.

4. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

This is what i get out my front door
    good luck hunting

Bob

5. jerry chipman

jerry chipman Member

Take a camera, we need pictures before, during and after the hunt. Jerry

6. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

With steel shot I think the faster the better. I like at least 1500 fps. I like no. 3 steel for all size ducks or no. 2 if only shooting big ducks. BB for close in geese or BBB for longer range and big geese. If you want a compromise for taking both ducks and geese BB or no. 1 steel. I would stick with a modified choke for everything. Steel generally patterns tighter than lead. If you have the bucks hevishot or tungsten matrix is very good stuff. With hevishot I like 6 for ducks or 4's for geese or 5's for both.

7. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Steel? Should be banned!!!!!!

If you're hunting over decoys, get some Remington HD, 2-3/4", #4, 1-1/4 oz. with a speed of 1325 fps. We consistantly take geese and ducks at 40 yds. with no problem.

If you're going to do it, do it right!

Curt

8. Alex Ragulsky

Alex Ragulsky TS Member

Tron:

I have been known to hunt ducks and geese from time to time with varing degrees of success. Having read everything above I can't argue with any of it.

The only thing that I would add is to buy the best ammo you can get. Heavy-shot or something like that. The ammo is about the cheapest part of the hunt. Especially if you don't hunt that much. When I hunt with inexperienced waterfowl hunters I suggest the Remington Preimum loads.

I hope that you get hooked on waterfowl. If you do and develope a little more experience at shooting and judging distance you can easily switch to more economical ammunition.

You may also ask your host what he suggests as with his experience he may have an edge in the area of ammunition selection.

Good luck and have fun.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Alex Ragulsky

9. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

In Louisiana's swamps, I switched to Bismuth shot years ago and never looked back,. Shoots a string like lead. Use 4s if they come into the blinds well. If not, switch to 2s. Steel shot can't compare. Bismuth is expensive but if you don't hunt ducks that often, no big deal. I don't hunt geese but would think you'd use 0 or 00 Bismuth. Oh, and an IC to no more than Modified "for lead" choke.

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Hunting 4-5 days a week when unemployed, no way could afford the expensive shells. In fact, when lead was legal we loaded 1 & 1/8 oz of 6's with a blistering dose of 540, and the high 50- 60 yard flyers came down like they were in a well. Dead.

The first steel was crap, it took manufacturers about 4 years to get something that worked. Today's steel shot is much better.

Hunting ducks is like shooting trap. Once or twice in a season is absolutely not enough. Soon your compound will be festooned with skiffs, portable blinds, gunny sacks of decoys, and some pricey insulated waders.

Today's automatics are very reliable, but I still would use a pump for nostalgia. And changing loads is easier for the odd suicidal goose.

Hope you have good success so you get infected like I was.

HM

11. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

For geese I would recommend eith Hevi, HD, or Black Cloud.

Ducks, I like steel 3's but they are somewhat hard to find. If not possible then 2's for an all around duck pellet.

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I don't shoot many ducks because we don't really like to eat them but when I do, I use the Remington Wingmaster HD (hevishot) #4. There are a few versions of this but I like 1 1/4 Oz 3" high vel loading. These work every bit as well as the magnum lead loads of the 70's. They are expensive but you will probably only shoot a dozen or so shots per day. I did shoot one goose with the #4 shot and it folded immediately and appeared to die in mid air. Just the same, 1 3/8 OZ #2 HD would probably be a better choice for the big birds. Have a great time!

13. jimx200

jimx200 Member

When you want to kill ducks or geese as in dead on arrival...Hevy Shot! Stuff is amazing and I shoot it in my full choke gun. I've hit late season Mallards 35 yards out and they just fold and drop (#4's) and for pass shooting geese, go with #2's if you can find it.

14. roger8918

roger8918 Member

Hey Martin, did you ever do any Goose hunting around the Codorus when you where there?

Roger

15. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Roger, no I didn't. Never have investigated doing so. Curvy keeps me so darn busy when Iam there that I don't have a chance. Is the season there on now? I'll be back there next week for awhile. Maybe we can hook up and go. I've also spotted quite a number of feeding areas that they were using a few weeks back. Iam not sure the chance of hunting there but Iam not afraid to ask either.

16. Setterman

The Heavy shot shoots good out of a full choke in a Browning, Super X2, or any gun with a large bore diameter (.740 or so). If you're shooting a mobile choked 391, with .724 bore, drop down to Imp Mod or Mod. Choke diameter around .700-.705 lets the hard stuff flow through the choke better.

17. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Setterman, good tip. I'm going to try a pattern on Mod. choke. My full choke actually tears up too much meat on a centered shot.

18. TommyTEREX

TommyTEREX Member

Tron, Here`s some helpfull tricks.

If no birds are around, pour a cup of coffee, leave the cap off the thermos, place both in a spot that you`re sure to tip them over when you stand up to shoot. This works best on days of sleet, freezing rain, and temps under 20*.

If that fails, leave your shotgun in the blind, venture to a nearby muskrat house, drop your pants, and take a dump. This will always bring in birds, and if your buddies aren`t laughing to hard they should get a shot.

Hope this helps.

Ton R.

19. Setterman

Tron, DO NOT LEAVE YOUR GUN IN THE BLIND WHILE TAKING A DUMP. Your "buddies" will unload it. Oldest "blind trick" in the world.

20. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

For Geese Rem SP 10 10ga.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.