1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Goodbye to Miramar (SanDiego Shotgun Sports)????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lbshootin, Sep 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

Somebody would have started the rumors, so I thought I would jump to the head of the line. There are emails flying all over the shooting community here in SOCAL that we have lost (or are real close to loose) the battle with the government on the reopening of our beloved San Diego Shot Gun Sports (Miramar) shooting range. The club is fighting the local and federal government to reopen, but it seems that the EPA, and others may get their wish and close it down for good. The club would like to enlist all sportsmen/sportswomen and junior shooters to continue to write to their Congressmen, Senators, the Governor and the Commandant of the Marines and stress how this community really needs this shooting facility to reopen.
    The emails floating around today, state that this is a lost cause due to the lead contamination of the area just outside the boundry fence, and the cleanup would not be cost effective to complete. My worry is that if the facility is to be closed, who will be stuck paying for the cleanup of the area INSIDE the fence, and then the OUTSIDE areas? The place has been closed for almost a year, no shooting on site at all..The place is running out of operating funds as they are not bringing in the money they once did. If SDSSA closes, it will leave only ONE public shooting range in the county, along with 4 or 5 private clubs, none of them ATA sanctioned. Please check out the website above for further information.

So there you have it...COMMENTS???

LarryB

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I have been writing everyone that I know from the military side for help...almost a year's worth of emails. I haven't gotten a single response.

3. Baber

Baber TS Member

I have been following this issue for over a year. This should be a lesson to all clubs that having a lead abatement plan is a must. SDSSA had never done a a study until this latest issue came to light. Reclaiming lead is a positive thing for all clubs. It not only is a positive statement that clubs are removing the lead but its a money maker. If done correctly the clean up stated would provide income to the club.

Now having said all this we must get together and contact anyone we know that might be helpful and get this facility reopened.

Tom

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

That's the problem with rumors...

One problem with having everyone write is that we have no standing to be listened to. Not being familiar with SDSSA, is the range public?! Is the range part of the San Diego community - do the people of San Diego see the range as an ammenity?

If the range is private, or perceived as private... what's the carrot for citizens at-large to support its reopening, what's the stick to get the commandant, general or state/fed officials to act?

My range was closed for 30 months and by the very nature of our federal litigation, I was unable to share much of the internal conversation nor the strategy of what was being undertaken... the lack of communication is what makes folks uncomfortable, reading innuendo into comments made or lack thereof.

As a public range, we had the support of hundreds of non-shooters from within the community asking the EPAs to reopen the range... has the CA or US EPA asked for public comment? Comments offered outside the public commenting period are nice, but not part of any official record.

When we worked to reopen, the IL EPA with the US EPA's blessing allowed a structured arrangement for a lead cleanup when shooting eventually stops. Unless Miramar soil has tremendously low pH (acidic), or the lead represents an immediate thread to individuals, lead can typically be left alone until some future date for harvesting. And good science has shown that lead mobility is well documented to be nil in neutral pH.

One can only hope that behind the scenes, SDSSA enlisted the help of the NSSF and the NRA for the resources they make available. I promote them all the time on this site and one would be hard pressed to not find a search about our problem, efforts made and our satisfactory outcome...

best regards,

Jay

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

The Marines have wanted the gun club out from the time they moved in. Surprise, surprise. They are going to get their wish. What happened to the funds and plans for the new club that was going to happen when the Marines first started talking about closing the club down?

6. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

Not real sure on the details, as I have been following the offical statements on their website, and the emails that fly around after the Board of Directors meetings. But I do know that SDSSA harvests the lead on their property pretty much annually, the problem was that there is free fall lead that leaves the leased land and ends up on the outside (the Marine side) of the peremeter fence. There was an email going around a while back saying that the "Enviornmentally Protected" sage brush, Ferry Shrimp, Vernal Pools, etc., kept the club from harvesting outside the fence. This is a shooting club that is open to the public, but also has memberships available to allow for discounted shooting, supplies, etc... There have been alot of corporate shooting events where a company brings in their folks with little or no experience in the shooting sports, just to show "How it's DONE"..hands on firearms = an understanding of the responsibilities of "The Right to Keep and Bear ARMS".....Education is key in the future of our sport, and SDSSA played a BIG role in this for the community!

LarryB

7. Baber

Baber TS Member

To all:

I would suggest that you go to the Clubs website and read all the Presidents statements on this subject. You might find it very enlightening.

Tom

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Losing the club is bad news for the shooting sports for sure!!

I wonder if the Marines quit using lead also, all over the world?

Hap

9. recurvyarcher

Hap, in many instances, lead solder has been banned for use on circuit boards on most everything except for...you guessed it...military applications. But that is probably pending, and many engineers design with that in mind when the budget allows.

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

How right you are Devi! With the illustrious administration now wielding the power strokes in Washington, get ready for all kinds of changes in the near future. There's a right way and a wrong way of disposing of bad lead and it will come sooner than we think, as you say. Missing a clay target is one of those bad ways too. Hap

11. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Trapshooting — the Patriotic Sport, by the late D. H. Eaton of Cincinnati, Ohio. Published in 1920 (Dick Baldwin)

Send a copy to the Marines.

12. recurvyarcher

Big Heap, from what I can see, it's not the Marines. They are working with SDSS to allow for the re-opening, but are under a lot of pressure from the environmentalists.

13. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

YEP, I agree, they are working with Congressman Hunter, but their hands are tied ...send the book to the White House!

14. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

This is just another sign of people not paying attention to their politics in the past. They just think the right thing will happen because they put their trust in their local and Fed. officials. Let this be a lesson to everyone. If you stick head in the sand then you don't see the boot comming up the rear. Its time to make a big change all over the political arena and get life back on track. PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT IS HAPPENING.

15. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

I have seen many military teams shoot at Miramar over the years ,but funny only Army,Air Force and Navy all are polite ask them a question and it starts with a Sir.Also last I read was from Are local US Rep. Duncan Hunter jr. and he said he exausted all his resources Marines were busy fighting a war this was low priority.will miss it if its gone only bunker in San diego County,maybe So Cal. Jon PS was a membership club,but you could pay a gate fee and shoot there

16. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

It's unclear from the Blog, but has SDSSA Board contacted and/or presently utilizing any resources from either the NSSF/NASR or NRA Range folks to help provide support for their position in reopening?!

regards all,

Jay

17. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

18. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

This is not about lead polution, or polution in general trust me. This is about the anti-gun agenda driven by Governement Agencies and appointed beuracrats.

The military air craft that are operating on the base are puting many times more polution and toxins into the envirnment than the Gun Club at Mirimar.

With that said the only hope is to continue to fight but in many cases we may not be able to win only hold the hounds at bay.

Ronbo

19. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Any news..

20. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Ronbo stole my thunder. This has nothing to do with lead pollution. It has to do with power and hate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.