1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Good weather trap gun, bad weather trap gun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Porcupine, Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

This past weekend provided much of the country with some really nasty weather; here in New England, it rained all day Sunday. Nevertheless, that did not prevent the hardcore trap shooters at my Club from posting some scores. I cringe, though, when I see nicer trap guns being shot in the rain; I use my Browning Broadway only in clear weather, and use my field gun (Mossberg 500) whenever it rains. Anybody else use a 'lower-end' gun in inclement weather?

LA in MA

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Winchester Model 12s are all weather guns!

They work in cold, hot and also rain!

When you are done shooting ... spray them all over with WD40 then wipe them down!

3. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Ahab...ask Phil about WD 40 and his Model 12 years ago; works just fine. I think WD-40's not being the best for firearms is a bit overstated, btw. And WD 40 is good for arthritis..just rub some on. (It has small amounts of DMSO)

4. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Good weather: MX-15; Wet weather*: 870 (maybe). *This means very light sprinkle...Rain or Heavy rain..forget about it! I don't shoot or fish in the rain. What is fun about that? Best Regards, Ed

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

It is hard enough to shoot one gun well. Shooting two guns it too much for me to deal with.

Barricade for bad weather.

Don Verna

6. kansasshooter

kansasshooter Member

If you oil and wipe it down immediately after you get done shooting, it'll be fine.

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I keep all my firearms properly maintained and oiled. No issues here whether it is dry,wet,hot,or cold. I will generally pull the stock off (break open guns) after shooting in the rain so that the trigger assy can be dried and re-oiled properly.

I will say this though, I still own a couple of Brownings that will rust in high humidity let alone the rain. I generally treat them with RIG to prevent this from becoming an issue. I don't know if it's the blueing or the metal, but they just seen to be a little more suseptible to oxidation.

ss

8. RJ

RJ TS Member

I have an 870 I am now using as my hunt gun or fowel weather gun. Just an ol standard issue plain barrel hunt gun 870. I have used my 1100 a time or two but definately won't use the Tornament Skeet 1100 in rain or inclament weather. But if it came to it I'd wipe it down oil it up really good and break it down and completely clean and oil it when I get home. Funny thing is, I do this to the 870 reguardless. (Rich.inAz.orinnameonly)

9. Danny B

Danny B TS Member

Porcupine..........."RAIN IN THE FACE.....GUN IN THE CASE"....

10. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Yo Danny B,

LOL, I'm like the New England Patriots, I'll play in any kind of weather!

LA in Rainy MA

11. porky

porky TS Member

Apparently most on here haven't been caught in a rain storm during a state, satellite grand or such. Can't walk away then, unless you claim a mechanical failure and shoot the practice traps afterwards. I've seen that and didn't think much of the person who did it.

12. missed some

missed some TS Member

silver seitz for all conditions

13. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

But....in the rain, if heavy enough, one can see the shot string 'cause the rain drops show the path. Now that's cool.

14. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Chango ... I have been using WD40 ever since it came out ... and none of my guns have rusted.

WD40 is as good or better than most of the oils out there! Don't believe me? Check out the test Brownells did!

15. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

My Browning target guns are all weather guns. They have shot well at times in poor conditions. A target gun is much like a tool. Made to be used. But, not abused. Rain is not abuse to me. Big fan of Kroil, mine are not rusted.

16. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

I have come to the conclusion that if the weather is wet I will leave my gun in the truck. To me it is not worth getting a gun rusted up shooting in bad weather. Also shooting in bad weather does nothing more than to say you did it. It is not good for practice, averages or anything else for that matter.

17. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I have no desire to shoot in a deluge of rain. But, not having alot of free time and wanting to shoot on a regular basis I have to take advantage of the time I have. Rain, snow showers, wind, temps in the teens or lower, are just part of getting out. I wouldn't say it has anything to do with "I did it, look at me". That's like me saying you guys are a bunch of fair weather shooters who can't handle anything but perfect conditions. The majority of my trap, skeet and 5-stand shooting is done through the fall, winter and early spring. I chase river smallies when summer hits. A major addiction to catching and releasing them. Trapshooting is for the most part is a summer time activity??????????? I'd rather deal with occasional rain than oppressive heat any day.

18. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Citori Plus topsingle in good weather..99Max Stainless in bad

19. 1DIRT

1DIRT Member

I shoot a Browning BT 100 Stainless, no problem with the rain.

20. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

K80 - - - - - K80

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

best gun to shoot porcipones with