1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Good/useful Iphone apps?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by skeet_man, Mar 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Finally coming into the 21st century and getting an iphone. Should be here monday or tuesday. Wasn't my first choice as a replacement to my current failing flip phone, but with the variety of useful apps out there it made the choice pretty easy.

Anybody recommend some good cheap/free apps?

2. Farbodr

Farbodr TS Member

You'll find an app for just about anything you want to do. I'd like to recommend the one I wrote. It reports on the air quality based on a zip code or you current location (using GPS). I wrote it for those who plan to be outside (like trap shooters) and have breathing or other health issues so they can take precautions. It reports ozone and particle matter levels in the air. You can also see on the map the air quality for the whole state or country.

I have an update that will be coming out soon (time permitting) that will let you just name any location instead of a zip code.

I put the link to it in the App Store in this post.

FR

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Some very useful ones I have:

Yellow Pages(uses the GPS locator built in the phone to find gas stations, restaurants, hospitals or anything else you need close to your current location).

If you get one of the newer IPhone models with the camera flash, you can get a free flashlight app that allows you to turn on the LED camera flash and use it as a flashlight. Very handy.

Another useful app is a converter. It can convert currency to many popular foreign currencies, weights, measurements, speeds, volumes to metric, temperatures etc. etc.

Fox News which has a breaking news notifier which alerts of breaking news.

Fox Sports which can also alert you of scores or news for teams you select on almost any sport college or pro.

Have a map app which will not only find the place you are wishing to go but will use the built in GPS to navigate you there with audible instructions if you choose.

Weather with full animated Doppler Radar map which also uses your GPS location to give you current weather.

These are some of my favorites and most used. Most all are free but with some I upgraded to the full version costing usually .99 cents to $3 to $4. With some apps its worth spring for the full version. When you get past the simple learning curve of the IPhone, you won't be sorry you did it. It can be much more useful than just a phone. There are many productive uses for this handy little computer. As a matter of fact, I'm posting from it now. Feel free to PM me with any questions you may have if you so choose.

4. skeet_man

I'm not sure I've been this excited about a tech gadget since I got my first computer LOL.

5. Dougbbbb

Dougbbbb Well-Known Member

I fly fish and there's an app for tying about 100 different knots with video to walk you through each one. Hotels dot com is good for looking up hotels when you're on the road traveling Also a free app to show you secrets and tips on the os6 operating system . Just a few. Also in two years when you're ready for an upgrade you can sell the old iPhone on eBay and buy the new one for free. Broken iPhone 4's for parts only are selling for 210.00

Doug

[​IMG]

6. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Free apps like "LINE" & "Skype" can get you free calling and video calling around the world for free.

7. skeet_man

Any other suggestions? Found a bunch of really neat ones on my own, but always looking for more. Downloaded probably 3 dozen various ones (all for free) so far.

8. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

a really good one is "swiss army knife" free flashlight, level, calculator, ruler, compass,currency converter and a couple of others. Check "key ring" to record all those little plastic things that you carry for gas, grocery store and others. take a picture and it is on your phone.

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I have a bar code scanner which is supposed to scan the product bar code while at the store and compare prices with other stores. My issue has been with spotty service while inside the stores hindering its surfing the interweb to compare prices. That and I forget to use it. It's a Nobel idea but hasn't panned out so great.

The beauty of the apps is, if you download it and it don't pan out, you can simply delete it and get another.

A tip: there will be routine updates for your apps which are free but crucial to the proper function of the app. You will see updates in your App Store and it will have a small number in red indicating when you have these updates and how many.

10. RLC323

RLC323 Member

I have one that is called QRReader that scans those square coded deals that are in some ads and at the end of articles for more information. It is free, btw.

It is good for checking out product videos related to the item you are looking at in a magazine ad.

Like Matt I have the barcode scanner and it still leaves a lot to be desired. But with some effort you can comparison shop Amazon and ebay when you are in a store without the barcode. Just takes longer.

There is also one called Scanners that broadcasts the police and fire emergency channels. You have to search around for your area, and you can listen in on anyplace you choose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.