1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Good Trophy/Bad Trophy??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by grnberetcj, Mar 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Ok boys and girls.....how about this scenerio for the "Bad Trophy Dilema"

All clubs should add a "surcharge" of at least $1.00 per hundred to pay for "Nice" trophies. Along with it is an "Opt Out" clause whereas the shooter can opt out paying the trophy surcharge, but will not be eligible for a trophy.

Trophy winners will have a trophy catalog/list available, pick and order their own.

Let the whining begin.

Curt - Delaware

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

That's an idea.

OTOH, lets award pacifiers------those little rubber things you stick in the baby's mouth to make him quit crying between feeding times.

John C. Saubak

3. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

Our club charges $1.00 extra each shooter for their 1st hundred targets (registered) for the trophy. The trophy is a traveling trophy...you keep it for a year (we engrave name/date/score on it) and bring it back for the next year's shoot and then collect a dollar from every shooter that shoots that shoot that year. Make sense?

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

OK, it's an idea?

Now----let's take our $1 surcharge, per shooter, per day, per event. Lets even say everbody opts to pay the surcharge. In our typical little shoot (registered or non-) we might have four or five squads per event, that's 20 to 25 shooters, a dollar apiece----$20-$25. We're awarding Event winner, at least 3 class or ydge group awards, maybe event runner-up, veteran, junior, lady, -------so, what's our trophy fund gonna' provide? Even if we only award winner and 3 classes we,ve got maybe five or six dollars per trophy. Some of these guys seem to think they should get a $200 silver engraved buckle and another $500 cash for outshooting the other five guys in class. You think I'm kiddin'? I've seen guys bitch when they won a nice engraved Tilden buckle for winning class at a little ATA shoot with maybe five squads per event.

I'm sorry, I don't have much sympathy with spoiled children------and even less with adults who act like spoiled children.

John C. Saubak

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Curt, you'll please notice that the fee for 100 birds includes, "Targets and Trophies" in properly written programs and that's the way it's been as long as I've participated. You don't need a special fee for trophies or opt out offering, just raise the price of 100 birds in an event by the dollar you suggest. And, I've been to shoots where a cheaper price for "Targets only" is offered so even that's already an available option. No need for for a surcharge or opt out clause....breakemall....Bob Dodd

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Bob, et. al.,

I was being facetious with the surcharge! I have been the Trophy Committee for the Delaware State Shoot for the past 8+ years and for having a modest size shoot, we award some pretty expensive trophies. Tilden buckles, hand carved decoys, Shamrock leather goods and various themed prints.

We have received many compliments on our trophy package and will continue to keep the same quality as long as we have shooters. The one funny thing is, one of our older shooters walked into the clubhouse, looked at the trophy displays, turned to another fellow and said..."too many f*&%#^g ducks". So, we've come to grips with the fact that no matter how much we spend and no matter what the trophy is....someone's gonna complain and whine!

Curt - Delaware

7. 99 from the 20

99 from the 20 TS Member

You can't please everyone. Our Club throws a shoot a mouth starting in Feb thru November and it is hard coming up with different trophies. A club can go broke real fast having buckles all the time. Like everything else, trophies are going up, also. I had two guys complain to me about our trophies for our 10 week winter shoot. I told them that they just volunteer for getting the trophies for next years 10 week shoot. I would like all the complainers to belly up and help get trophies. It is a thankless job.

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Curt - no insult intended and I faled to see the humor; my bad. Your final thought is dead on.

99 and others, back in the other century when I was one of the young bloods willing to give the time I should have spent on family, I appointed a trophy chairman that had the wisdom to try something that should please everyone. We had a large safe with several pull out drawers. He was funded to obtain items to occupy those drawers. He had a $10 drawer (1977 dollars), a $20 drawer, and a couple of others increasing in value. When someone won a singles class, for example, he'd march them into the safe and pull out the appropriate drawer based on shooter participation and such, and let them have a choice of a pocket knife, hunters pocket watch, and so on OR he'd offer to give them the amount of dollars in shells, components or even cash. This was pretty popular with the shooters. Very few complaints since it was their choice. Items were bought at places like Best Buy, Price Club, hardware stores, and only he knows where else. I would guess there were up to to 10 to 15 items on each shelf and they'd be replenished in time for the next shoot; rarely the same stuff. We held PITA State Shoots and other big shoots where this wasn't the routine since the state organization stepped in with trophy selection. Of course, we had buckles and other high dollar items for HOA, HAA, Hcp winner and maybe deeper at larger shoots...Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.