1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Good Starter Gun for Female shooter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by swatman201, Apr 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swatman201

swatman201 Member

Hello, I am starting to look for a trap gun for my wife who wants to start shooting. She is very small, and is somewhat afraid of kick. What are some recomendations. I was thinking of a semi-auto, or something with a gracoil reducer.
    As always thank you for your help

Joe Isnardi

BPK, Florida

2. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Remington 1100 or 870, Beretta 303, 390 or 391. That's how my wife started. Of course be careful, mine developed a taste for Perazzi pretty quickly.

Good luck.

3. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

Take a look at Remington 1100 classic trap. Affordable, reliable, and soft shooter.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Get a 20 gauge Remington or Beretta youth model- forget about 12 gauge at first

Gene

5. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

BT-99 Micro and really light reloads. Good trap specific gun. If she is "very small" then you need to consider her ability to hold up a gun for a full round, or is she small but strong. Mark

6. bz5119

bz5119 Member

Remington 1100, with light target loads.

7. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

BT-99 Plus Micro. The ultimate new woman beginners gun if you can find one!!

8. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

What ever you choose, start her with light loads 7/8 or 1 ounce with light powder charge.

I vote for break open guns like BT-99 as they're simple to oparate which makes them safe and are fairly light and easy to handle. Most women will require the stock to be shortened for a comfortable fit which is key to keep them shooting.

Surfer

9. dimapower

dimapower Member

My wife's progression:

1. Beretta 303

2. Browning Citori Trap Plus

3. Current - Perazzi DB81 Combo

4. Current - Krieghoff K-80 Gold Uplander (subgauge/skeet)

Agree that proper fit is one of the most important factors.

10. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

PLEASE DO NOT Let her start with a 20 ga. I see more Women and Kids get disgusted when they can not hit the target with the 20 but can with "light" 12ga. JMO Joe joe90t

11. 100straight

100straight Member

My 2 cents.

Browning Micro BT99 Plus if you can find one, and this load:

Winchester 12-ga. 2 3/4" AA hull (I use the old style), Winchester WAA12L (gray) wad, 14.2 grains Alliant American Select. (Velocity: 1,015 fps; Pressure: 4,620 psi)

I've started many young boys and girls with this load. Try it, you'll be impressed from the 16.

Mark

12. swatman201

swatman201 Member

I have an extra BT99, along with a never fired Browning 2000 in the box. She has shot pisol for 25 years, so not new to shooting. Might try the 2000, see how it goes from there. Any suggestion for a gracoil system installation in south florida?

13. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

I also wouldn't start her with a 20 gauge - they aren't worth the extra price of the shells and they often have similar or even worse recoil than a 12 gauge (because of the smaller size of the shotgun and less mass to absorb recoil). I have six kids on my SCTP team and the one who suffers from the most recoil is the only one with a 20 gauge - an 1100. We had him shoot a cut-down 12 gauge 1100 the other day and he experienced much less recoil and was able to break the targets much more effectively! He said he didn't want to shoot the 20 gauge anymore!

The best route is to shoot light loads out of a semi-auto like the 1100 or the Beretta 300 series, or very light loads out of a well-fitting break-open, but stay away from pumps - they kick us women like mules! Also, don't get a Beretta Pintail - that is the worst kicking semi-auto I've ever shot. Absolutely awful recoil! Jennifer

14. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Contact Ken Rucker on this sight. He puts out the Auto Buster stock for those who are recoil sensitive. While you are at it, also get her one of Terry Jordans Practice Charts. Even in sunny Florida, you can save lots of Money getting her to develope the proper stance and swing. This also helps develope the muscles and muscle memory needed for shot gun shooting. Seeing as she is a Pistol shooter, she will have a huge-enormus tendancy to try to aim at the target. TEACE HER TO POINT THE GUN. That is going to be one of the hardest chores you will have to face.

Good luck with it and don't let her get discouraged

Bob W

15. Rkoetting

Rkoetting Member

I started my 13 old daughter this January with a Beretta 3901 RL Target 12 ga with a 28 inch barrel. Started her with the Winchester Low Noise/ Low Recoil shells (which the gun cycles perfectly). She is now shooting one ounce 1180 fps loads, and a few 1 1/8 ounce 1200 fps loads, and has no problem with recoil. Shot her first registered targets this weekend, and after 100 shots, felt great. I think as important as the gas operated semi-auto is the fact that with the approximate 12.5 inch length of pull, the gun fits her very well. I would recommend the 3901 RL target for any youth or small women shooter. Bob K.

16. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

1100 with light 1 oz. or 7/8... Regards, Ed

17. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

Joe,
    If you do not reload, maybe an 1100 standard weight 20 gauge with a Jack West synthetic adjustable stock that comes with the Remington Competition might be the way to go. You can put a 26 inch or 28 inch barrel on it. I have one just like this that I lend to beginners at our club and it works for them judging by the grins on their faces. JM

18. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

I had a friends wife compare my 11-87 to her Beretta. She preferred the Beretta because it kicked less. Not sure what model the Beretta is but they are both 12 gauges with the same ammo.

Joe

19. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Joe, If her Beretta was fit to her, and your 11-87 wasn't, it's like comparing apples to oranges. Recoil includes gun fit, gun weight, proper form, and shell load size and velocity. Mark

20. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Get her a K-80 and hot heavy loads.

When she quits, you now have your own K-80!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.