1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Good Starter Gun for Bunker / International Trap?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by macguyver67, Apr 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macguyver67

macguyver67 Member

Okay I know this is kind of like going into a restaurant and asking what's good (opinions will vary greatly!) but I would love to get some thoughts on what I should look for in a good starter gun for bunker (looking to spend $1000-$1800). I shoot a lot of 5 stand, skeet and sporting clays and currently own a Browning Citori 12g 28" and a Benelli Super Sport 12g 28". I shot bunker for the first time last week and fell in love with it. So of course I need to buy a new gun for bunker right? ;-) That logic always served me well when I was building my tool collection!

I guess I can use my Citori (extended choke tubes) for Bunker but would I be at any disadvantage with the 28" barrels? I actually used the Benelli last week and shot really well with it but I don't want to subject my shooting partners to the empty shells flying in their direction. So do I want to go to something with 30" or greater barrels in an O/U? Fixed chokes? Anything else to consider here?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I was humbled by my first bunker experience which only means I need to shoot more!

Joseph

2. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

While 30" barrels do predominate, if your 28" gun fits you (i.e. shoots where you're looking) and you're confident with it, I see no reason to switch to anything else. Semi-autos are more trouble than they're worth and you get only one choke constriction. A flatter shooting gun (50/50 to 60/40) is helpful on the minimum height targets - which are already easy to shoot over - as you no doubt found out.;) If you do decide to get another gun, then, if it were my $$, I'd look for a good used Beretta 682, or a good used Belgian Browning or a very good used Citori. Other solid choices would be a good used Remington 3200 or Krieghoff 32. Chokes should probably be 'Modified' to 'Improved Modified' for your first barrel and 'Improved Modified' or 'Full' for your second. I'm interested to hear what others have to say. -J.F. Wolfington

3. 3357

3357 Member

I use the same gun I shoot international skeet with, a 682 "super sport" with 30" (29.5) barrels and adjustable comb. I shimmed the stock to length and use a Pachmyer SP100 recoil pad. .025 and .030 chokes.

4. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Id look at a Remington 3200. But thats my choice good solid gun. Your price range should find you a nice one. Look at Cabelas gun room they carry many.

5. RED Z06

RED Z06 Member

Joseph,

In your price range, it's hard to beat a 3200 with the updates. Good fast mechanical triggers; the majority of them are improved mod on the lower barrel and full on the top barrel. Most of them have pretty descent wood too!

If you ever decide to move up, it will be fairly easy to sell and get most if not all of your money back, that's if you want to sell it!

In my opinion, an OU is your best bet and a 3200 is a good starter gun for bunker, continental or trap.

Pat Maurice

6. pufftarget

pufftarget Active Member

I agree w/ Volfie, your Citori is fine for now. The 28" barrels are quick even w/ the choke tubes. If you must get a new gun look at a fixed choke 30" 682, Belgian Browning or Citori as the choke tubes add unwanted forward weight to the barrels.

If you must have a choke tubed gun I have a Winchester Select Energy 30" trap in excellent condition w/ invector + choke tubes I'll sell for $900 + shipping & insurance.

Chuck

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

One of my best Bunker guns has a 27 5/8" barrel.. choked .032/.045 Get as close to 8 pounds as you can.. flat shooting.. at least .020/.030 chokes.. and great fit is a must.. Have fun.. There is plenty time to spend money...Learn the game.. shoot some of your fellow shooters guns.. Especially in Bunker.. fit is even more exacting than ATA.. In Kerrville.. while Perazzi was the most common.. they had PLENTY of Berettas and Brownings too.. All in the correct hands shot some very impressive scores.. Shoot well.. Mike

8. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

The last place I would purchase a gun would be from Cabelas.

9. turmite

turmite Member

Pufftarget,

Pm sent. I would like photos of the select energy.

Mike

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Joseph, I say shoot your Browning O/U and have at it. If after a few months of shooting and you still want a new gun to get to the next level. No problem, you will have learned what you will need and what will work better for you by then. As is the norm ask alot of questions and try a few different guns. Almost every shooter I know will be more than happy to let you try his/her gun a few times to see how you like it. Always use factory ammo in someone elses gun. Have Fun Now. Break-em all. Jeff

11. Gil

Gil Member

Mac, I started with a Remington 3200 with release/pull. My shooting companions were very reluctant to OK a release trigger. I bought a Beretta SO-4 which was made for Olympic trap. Beretta now makes an SO-5 which I understand is stronger where it needs to be. I broke several springs in the 15 years I shot trap in Europe. If you can find an SO-4 or 5 I think you will be on your way. For Olympic trap your gun needs to be quick. That is very well balanced and quick to the bird. If you are going to use your second barrel, the first shot needs to be well pointed and fast. George Miller

12. macguyver67

macguyver67 Member

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that took the time to respond to my request for help on choosing a good first bunker gun. Lots of great information which is what I have come to expect from this forum. I am very glad that I found this site when I first started shooting about a year ago. Tons of valuable information from real experts!

Thanks again...

Joseph

13. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

The Perazzi Comp1, MX8, MT6, MS80 were all designed as bunker guns, nothing more or less. It will be MUCH cheaper in the long run to just make that move without any intervening buy/sell/hope to sell/take a loss BS. 30" barrels dominate but 28" works just fine for me and a few other folks who use the same guns to shoot pigeons. Barrel length has little meaning past how the weight affects the handling.
    Like the other gent said - shoot whatcha got for a while. It'll be some time before the gun you have is a handicap. Save your lunch money and shop for a Perazzi.

You'll be happier

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

a good bunker

barrel length for bunker

best bunker guns

best recoil pads for bunker trap guns

can you use modified choke for bunker trap

guns for international bunker trap

international bunker trap guns for

modified bunker trap