1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

good sporting clay gun for a women?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bladerunners, Jul 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bladerunners

bladerunners TS Member

I just got started in sporting clays and i would like to get my girlfriend started. What would be a good gun?

2. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

Just about everyone on here is probably going to say remington 1100 or beretta 391. They seem to be pretty popular guns for women.

3. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Remington 1100 or Beretta 391.

4. bladerunners

bladerunners TS Member

what do you think about the 390

5. bladerunners

bladerunners TS Member

i dont want to spend the money on a 391 then her not like it

6. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

If you aren't sure if she will like it, why not find someone that has an 1100 or something for you to borrow?

7. traper130

traper130 Member

The 390 is your better gun little more weight less recoil. 1100 is good also the 391 will kick some lades. very lite gun

8. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

Every gun and pawn shop will have some 1100s on the shelf. They might rent you one for her to try. If she likes it, I'd buy a brand new one. They don't cost much more than used.

9. cleboje

cleboje Member

bladerunners

Time to visit the range and have her try other folks guns to see which one she likes the best...most people are proud to have a new shooter check out their gun...just be polite and ask.

Also most ranges have a selection of rental guns...let her test drive a few of them to get an idea of what fits her best...remember, her anatomy and needs in a gun will not likely mirror yours. :<)

Everyone has an opinion and here is mine: Beretta 390 or 391 (12 or 20 gauge)...as they are reliable/soft shooting and they come with stock drop/cast spacers that allow you to custom fit the gun yourself.

Joe

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Try Try Try. Have her shoot guns that other women close to her build are shooting. I had to trick my wife into a 12gauge. When she caught on I let her shoot my 20g 870. That things got a bite.

11. thewolf

thewolf TS Member

A while back Browning made some WSSF edition 425's or 325's. They had a painted stock(aqua). The stocks were shortened and said WSSF on them. Nice shooters if you can find one.

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Rem 1100 or 1187 in 12 or 20 ga. I shoot 1187s in both gauges.

13. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

A few links...

http://www.losttarget.com/links.html#WOMEN

14. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Try them all. I am biased to the 1100.

It's a softer kicking gun and kicks "in" rather than "up" like the alloy framed eurautos do, an advantage for doubles. However this is achieved through "front heaviness" which can be a disadvantage for some shooters.

To me, the alloy framed european guns lack "staying" power when following through, especially the 391 with its chunky, aluminum alloy receiver, which for me, obscures more peripheral vision (I'm aware of it-which means I'm not looking at the target - I know)

And despite flaming retorts to the contrary, I am a firm believer in the 1100, its gas system and how to maintain it. Strip the two apart side by side someday and you'll see what I mean. There are enough gas system parts in a Beretta 391 to build gas systems for TWO 1100s and an M-1A

15. oz

oz Active Member

give her yours. oz

16. vanman

vanman TS Member

Try as many as she can--but at least try the Benelli Sport II and the Super Sport.

Van

17. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I disagree with Van, super sport is very very light and recoil operated. nothing to absorb recoil but action and face. Reason I didnt get the benelli. Great gun in simple design I liked it. just not well suited for recoil sensitive people.

18. leadvail

leadvail Member

Something to think about is my wife can't push down the release button on my kids 391 .

Bob

19. AAfan

AAfan TS Member

Howdy,

Some of my recent experiences may help...

This is our third year of running a women's and juniors Shotgun program. We use a variety of shotguns for both. 870 Youth models, Ruger Red labels, 1100, etc.

Overall, the women actually prefer O/Us. We have Ruger 20 and 28 Gauges with Gracoils and Morgans/Jones pads to adjust LOP.

On the personal level, my wife used to shoot a Rizzini 20 gauge (cut down just for her and her 11 1/2 inch LOP). She is very hard on firearms (blonde?) So... She now uses a Ruger 20 gauge.

We have Remington 1100 youth models and we have had reliability issues with them even with a Gunsmith in our program! And these were purchased new by the way...

Honestly it depends on some more questions.

First, what LOP your Girlfriend is easier to cut down a O/U then some autos.

Second, is she recoil sensitive, either light loads in O/U or gas autos to soak up recoil.

Next, do you plan to reload (affects the cost of smaller gauges like 28 or 410 plus having to chase down empties flung by autoloaders).

Last is cost, what is your price range? This really defines what you will buy. A used 1100 is cheaper then a used Ruger o/u but when both purchased new the price difference is not as much. How much does she plan to shoot with you?

Hope this helps,

Howard

20. oz

oz Active Member

my wife bought her own 686. later she traded up for a 687eell and a 682. the ammo is more important. light loads. try fiocchi's trainer load. 7/8's oz at 1200fps. oz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best clay gun for a woman
best sporting clay for females
best sporting clay gun for women
best trap gun for a woman
browning gold ladies sporting clays shotgun for sale

browning wssf shotgun

sporting clay shotguns for women

sporting clays gun for a woman