1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Good Shooting Clubs in Harrisburg PA area?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by k80guy, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. k80guy

k80guy Member

The wife and I are thinking about relocating from GA to Harrisburg PA to get closer to family. I was wondering if there are any good clubs I could check out in the area that have leagues and registered shoots. I like to shoot everything. So good access to a club that has Trap, Skeet and SC would be great.

2. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

You will not be hurting looking for a trap club in that area. I bet there are at least 20 in a hours driving radius of Harrisburg and that's not including Elysburg, home of many large shoots plus the PA State Shoot and PA Grand.

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Trust me, you'll be able to shoot almost every night of the week and all weekend at trap, skeet or sporting without driving more than an hour on any day. There's even a trap and skeet club in the eastern suburbs of the city of Harrisburg.

Ed

4. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

Hi K80guy, the ATA web site under "shoots near me" is a great way to locate trap clubs by distance. The club website then offers the type shooting they offer.

These posts here are correct, Eastern PA is home to many nice clubs and people too.

js

5. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Here's a list (with a map) of most (if not all) clubs offering clay target shooting in Pennsylvania:

http://www.claytargetsonline.com/list.php/PA

You can use this website (http://www.claytargetsonline.com/index.php) to locate clay target shooting almost anywhere in the U.S.

Ted K.

6. Shyda's Gun Shop

Shyda's Gun Shop TS Member

I would guess within an hour drive there's @ 75-80 clubs shooting all forms of Clay target sports. If you need supplies come see us!!!!

Shyda's Gun Shop
    1635 S Lincoln Ave
    Lebanon, PA 17042
    info@shydasgunshop.com
    717-273-6572
    717-273-6738 fax
    M,T,T,S 9-5
    W,F 9-8

7. Army Trap

Army Trap TS Member

Carisle, PA is only about 20-30 minutes to the west of Harrisburg and is a great range with wonderful people. Highly recommend them.

8. k80guy

k80guy Member

Wow! Thank you to everyone who responded. Sounds like I am going like it there.

9. k80guy

k80guy Member

We were up there over the Thanksgiving holiday and looked at Mechanicsburg and Camp hill areas. We still have alot more research to do though. I do IT work and I am being told that most of the work opportunities would be in Camp hill and downtown Harrisburg. So we are looking at areas that would give me a decent commute to work. I live in Atlanta now and am tired of the 1 to 2 hour commutes each day.
    Dan

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Dan, allow me to welcome you to our area in advance. We've lived on the "West Shore," as it is called, all our lives and I can give you some advice regarding the taxes Vern mentioned.

We live in Hampden Township just west of the borough (PA-speak for "town") of Camp Hill and would like to move into something smaller than our current 2,600 square-foot home but we found out that "smaller" and "country" aren't always less expensive. So we're going to stay put and wait for our son to go to dental school and then rent the ranch house outside the borough of Mechanicsburg that he and his fiancee just bought. He wants to practice in the middle-Atlantic area, probably Virginia, so if that happens, we will be a long-term tenant for him.

Your realtor will tell you the cheapest municipality in the entire Harrisburg area in which to live is Hampden Township. Hampden owns a public golf course, as does neighboring Silver Spring Township, but Hampden uses all its income from the golf course to offset the township's real estate taxes, so our property taxes are the lowest around. And that includes Perry County, the next county north over the mountain you see along I-81, which is very rural. In fact, their first traffic signal is being installed as I write this. But property taxes are actually higher in Perry County than Hampden Township, Cumberland County. Land and homes, however, are a little less costly. Again, your realtor will be able to give you good advice on that.

Our property taxes are around $500 and our school taxes are just under $2,000. We're in the Cumberland Valley School District, one of the largest in the state. Most of the West Shore with the exception of Mechanicsburg, which has its own schools, is either in the CV or West Shore School Districts. There is a Catholic elementary school, Good Shepherd, and Trinity High School as well as the Harrisburg Academy, a private K-12 school.

By the way, if you are a golfer, Hampden's Armitage Golf Course is ranked as one of if not the best public courses in the state every year. Silver Spring isn't bad but it's not as nice as Armitage.

Don't overlook northern York County, which is where Vern lives and I work. There are some very nice areas there and while it used to be considered rural, thanks to improved roads, it now is just minutes from "civilization."

If you would like more information on our area, feel free to contact me via the email address above (drop the "x").

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
camphill trap shooting
clay target shooting areas in perry county pa
harrisburg trap club
shooting clubs near me
trap shooting

trap shooting harrisburg pa

trap shooting in harrisburg pennsylvania
trap shootingmechanicsburg pa