1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Good Reloading Recipe?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Quack Shot, Jun 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Mar 14, 2006
    1 oz loads using Promo powder, claybuster/downrange wads, and Fiocchi primers is a good start for economy. There is a lot of loading data out there to choose from. Make sure you use a good scale to weigh your charges and use the data EXACTLY as it is written. Once you have a little more experience and know how things work, then you can work things a little differently. Read, Read, and Read some more! Have a local expert run you through the process so you understand it. Don't take chances and keep in mind that it's a simple process, but there are risks. When in doubt, ask the manufacturers for help. DON'T trust any load you see posted on a forum or other source, unless you know it's reliable, like the powder or component manufacturers.
  2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2006
    I think you need to ask yourself why am I reloading? I just got my prices for flats of economy shells this week. I will buy shells for the whole year at one time. Just to find out what it costs now to reload I just did a check tonight. I can get components shipped to our club at no cost for shipping or any hazzmat fees. So I am getting components at the best prices. I figured it will cost me 17 cents more a box to reload than I can buy buy shells for. My reloader has sat idle now for almost 3 years. Some guns do need the better hulls to eject properly. If they get stuck in chambers you can have a gunsmith bore out the area the brass is in a little bit to get the metal hulls to work better for you.Good Luck in whatever you decide to do. Break-em all Jeff
  3. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Louisville, KY
    Depending on sales and promotions at stores like Dicks, you may be able to buy new shells like Estate and Gun Club or value packs of Winchester or Federal shells for less cost than reloading.

On the other hand, you may be able to reload a better shell (for you) than you can buy at any price.

Less expensive and good are two different things.

I have reloaded for many years and enjoy the art of reloading. However, if I only wanted 16 yard event shells, I would simply buy Estates.

I use better components and reload in Federal Paper hulls. New Federal Paper shells are now around $75 per flat so I save big time by reloading. I love the Federal Paper hull as it is, to me, the softest shooting hull around.

If you are truly into low cost reloading, pick one type of hull, one powder, and one wad. Don't reload too many shells until you settle on a reloading recipe.

You will get excellent performance from 1 1/8 oz loads loaded to around 1150 fps. Your shoulder will appreciate the difference and you will save about 1 grain of powder per load.

I recommend that you select one brand of hull and stick with it. At this time, the most widely used hull for reloading is the Remington STS hull. You can reload Remington Gun Clubs with the same recipe (check with the powder manufacturer).

I probably have 1,000 or more reloads dating back to the 1970’s that were due to experiments that did not work out. I am shooting these up in practice. Be careful with experimentation or you may invest a lot of money in reloads that you will seldom use.

With the cost of lead, many shooters are reloading 1 oz loads and these can save you money as you use less shot and powder. For singles and short handicap, one ounce loads work fine.

Whatever recipe you select, be sure that it comes from a powder manufacturer and that you weigh both your powder and shot charges.

Reloading is a wonderful hobby.

Good luck.
  4. Perazzi-Mx8

Perazzi-Mx8 TS Member

May 28, 2007
  5. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2006
    Central Kommiefornia
    Promo-Promo-Promo Listen to Quackshot_LOOK at the data Alliant has and go from there!!!PJ
  6. 682LINY

682LINY Member

Aug 14, 2006
    just to mix you up some more,,,,,loaded some old peters blue majic hulls today,,,,first shot for dobbles load,,7/8oz #9 shot,,,14.5 grains 700X,,1150 fps,,,claybuster 1100 wads,,,winchester primers,,,,tried them at 16 yds,mised the first bird ,,,ran the next 22 than started thinking and droped one,,,shoots so soft its unreal,,,IM choke,,,dont think I will use it regularly for 16's,,,,but nice to know it works just fine,,,now to try the same type load with cheap components
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.