1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Good reloading powder?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BT99er, Jun 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BT99er

BT99er TS Member

PROMO!!!!

2. Rip12

Rip12 TS Member

Nitro 100 less grains more savings

3. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Yet another vote for PROMO. 18 grs, Green Duster wad, Nobel Sport primer, 1 oz shot, any Remington case.

4. teleskier

teleskier Member

I just switched to Rex 1 for $225 a Keg or $10/lb.

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

Promo $74 for 8 pounds
    Don

6. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

How far away from Omaha are you? I am selling 8# of Promo for $77 with no haz mat if we are near each other. Click you mouse on the link above and you will see it on the web page. I shoot Clays personally but I know a lot of shooters on here prefer Promo, so I always stock a few kegs. I will bring a little to Doniphan next week but let me know by Monday, June 18th, just in case you want me to bring it to Doniphan. In Omaha, Wednesday night, Bellevue Rod and Gun, Thursday Koch, Friday Offutt Gun Club. Call me on the phone if you want to talk. Omaha

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

The ol' standby-------700X

John C. Saubak

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Cheap? Promo and Rex

Good? Promo, Rex, Red Dot, Green Dot, Clay Dot, Clays, International Clays, E3, Titewad, TiteGroup, Universal Clays, American Select, 700-X, PB, WST, WSF, Nitro 100, Solo 1000, Solo 1250, etc, etc, etc.

It all depends on personal preferences and what matters more to a loader. I usually have six or seven powders on hand at any one time that are appropriate for 12ga target loads, and sometimes more. I use three or four of those the most, depending on what I'm loading. I seem to use a lot of Promo, Red Dot, Green Dot, 700-X, and Clays these days. If I get a good deal on one of these, I'll buy what I can afford and use it up until I find another deal. Promo is great and I got some six months ago for $69 a jug if I bought in quantity. Should have bought more, but the budget was already broken with my last shot purchases. The same source is up to $75 a jug today. That's still not too bad. I have used up most of the PB I had and probably won't buy much more due to the cost. I bought some 12 pound kegs at a good price a few years ago and should have bought all they had at that price.

I try to pattern my gun with any particular load that performs well and use my chronograph quite a bit. I get some lower velocity varations from some combinations, and when that happens with good patterns, I will make that load a standard for what I intended it for, whether it be singles, doubles, back fence, or handicaps. If I can make that happen with an economical powder, I like it even more. I do test my loads at various temperatures also. I have been known to put a flat into the freezer and test them at low temps. You'd be surprized at what a difference thirty or more degrees can make on the consistency of a load's velocities.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Promo is certainly the least expensive good powder. I use American Select and Green Dot for other reasons than cost.

Quack Shot revealed in his last post that he understands powders more than the average shooter. I also test my reloads, well, actually I allow the Alliant Plant to test them for me, at 120, 70 and -20 degrees F. The results would surprise some.

Quack Shot- If you want some interesting data, test a few of the imported discount shells at very cold temperatures. You will find velocities around 800 ft/sec. with some brands.

Pat Ireland

Pat Ireland

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Pat's correct about the effects of cold on the import shells.

Like John...I stick with 700X. After using it for 34 yrs. without a problem there's no sense in fixing something that's not broken.

Curt - Delaware

11. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

Another vote for promo. I can sometimes find it on sale for $70, and when its not on sale its $75.

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Pat Ireland

I bought one flat of RIO shells a little over a year ago. I had some real off sounding loads when the temps got down under 40 degrees. I shot a box over my chronograph and your 800 fps figure is about right on for the bad ones. They still broke targets, but I have NO confidence in the RIO or similar brands. I have found some base wad migrations in once fired RIO and similar hulls and won't fire another one in any of my guns. Not even if they are free!

I lack pressure testing equipment, but I have had some of my loads tested at an independent lab. I'm happy with what I have developed, but I'm still experimenting a bit. I have a good selection of loads at my disposal and know what works for me in all kinds of weather. Now I just need to figure out some way of making them connect with the target 100% of the time. I feel that I have almost eliminated any issues with the ammunition. I can now work on my OTHER excuses for missing. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.