1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Good Quality S x S?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by timb99, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

For you side-by-side afficionados, a friend of mine is looking into buying one primarily for upland game bird hunting.

Any brand/model suggestions or recommendations?

New, used?

Any to avoid?

As he said, "Price is not the #1 concern but alas it does factor into the equation."

Thanks,

Tim

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

for cost and quality the Beretta 470 series. 20 or 12 ga. (2700-3000) For styling at a decent price, the AYA is hard to beat.(3,000-5,000 or more) If you want a smooth swinging piece of Americana, look for a Model 21 Winchester. (6,000 for a plane jane 12ga. sub gauges are outta sight!) there are huglus and other guns out there but if your in for keeps, buy a good gun.

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I recently tested one of the L.C. Smith side-by-sides being made in Italy for Marlin Firearms. I found it to be a good, solid gun with a lot of things going for it. Its street price around here was under $1,300 at the time of my test.

My only criticism of it was excessively stiff, creepy triggers but another writer tested another sample of the same gun about six months later and found the triggers very satisfactory, so perhaps that concern was addressed. Regardless, a gunsmith told me that the trigger parts had plenty of material and could be made nice and crisp.

The gun is offered in several gauges - the one I tested was a 12-gauge. Marlin's website contains a lot of information about them.

Ed

4. new loader

new loader Member

Browning BSS is worth a look.

5. Fast Oil

Fast Oil TS Member

Poli SxS

Orvis Arrieta good value with Orvis lifetime guarantee.

If you want above average and custom, look at the F.lli Poli.

I have 9 Poli, an AyA, Holland & Holland. Beretta SilverHawk and several others in stock. If you are near Raleigh NC April 27-28-29. come by for the 8th Southern Side x Side Exhibition and shoot.

50 vendors, Holland & Holland / Atkin Grant & Lang / Famars / Steve Barnett / Vintage Doubles / Dave Riffel and many others.

6. hunter870

hunter870 Member

If you can find them, I'd take a look at the Beretta Silver Hawk (not the 470, but the one manufactured in the 1960s). I see them periodically in the online gun auctions for anywhere from $1000 to $1200. They have fixed chokes and usually double triggers, but I've owned two and find them to be great shotguns for upland game.

7. LOWGUN

LOWGUN TS Member

hunter870 is refering I believe is the 627 series Beretta. They are beautiful sxs and shoot very well. I wanted one in the worst way. Never found one that I could afford. Mike

8. art g

art g Member

I bought my SxS from Charlie at Hill Rod and Gun. www.hillrodandgun.com
    Very interesting selection and great customer service. Art Goddard (SC)

9. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

There is only one: Winchester 21..get the best...enjoy it for years, then sell for more than you paid. Best Regards, Ed

10. One Eyed Left Handed

One Eyed Left Handed TS Member

An AYA Iberia Model built in the 60's in 12 guage runs in the $1200. to $1500. range and has nice case hardened colors, minor engraving (Outlined receivers, locking lug, screw heads) and are well balanced with fixed chokes. Most of them have nice walnut wood but original finishes were so dark they negated the beauty of the wood.

I also own an SKB 100 model in 20 guage with 25 inch barrels, fixed IC and Mod chokes, single selective trigger and top safety that only weighs a shade over 5 pounds. With light loads it is a dream in the quail field and has seen some use on rabbits, pheasants, Chukars, and a trip or two in the dove field (usually late season when shooting volume is lighter). The SKB is in the $1000. range and can be had in 20 or 12 in Models100, 200, and 280. The 200 and 280 run more money. These were made in Japan in the early to mid 70's and are a lot of bang for the buck.

Hope one mans opinion helps!

Eddie

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate your input.

Tim

12. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

There are still some single trigger original Parkers out there for under 5K....and some used Winchester 21's in the same price range....both very fine guns indeed....I lean toward the 21 because I owned great one for 27 years and found them a bit trimmer in size and better balanced than the Parker. The Ruger Gold Label looks to be good value in a new gun and the AYA is basically a reasonable priced gun with close to British bespoke quality. I read an article where a fellow and his son ordered a pair of AYA's and took a trip to Spain to be custom fitted for them and the whole thing cost last than half the price of one British gun.

13. hunter870

hunter870 Member

went poking around and found this:

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=66430277

I don't know how much the price will go up by the end of the auction, but this seems a good deal..

14. David Weeks

David Weeks Member

If your friend is interested I have a nice field grad Browning BSS for sale.

For Sale – Browning BSS side-by-side 12 gauge shotgun. 26 inch barrels choked IC and MOD. Excellent overall 95% condition. Receiver and barrel 100% bluing. Some blue wear on tang and a small number of hunting scratches on wood. 14 ¾ LOP to 1” brown decelerator pad. Single non-selective trigger. Really nice hunting gun. Pictures available on request. $900 plus $20 shipping to your FFL. Priced realistically for quick sale. E-mail xxdpw4406@sbcglobal.netxx drop the xx front and back.

15. jlb

jlb Member

I think that the Galazian RBL 20 ga represents an outstanding value in a sxs. It even can be ordered in a self opening action. Look at the gun at http://rblshotgun.com/

16. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Fella (bird hunter) stopped by the ranch last fall and visited awhile, showed me his bird gun------16 guage Purdey, seemed like a pretty nice shotgun, he didn't say what it cost and I didn't ask.

John C. Saubak

17. esetter

esetter Active Member

If you have to ask what it cost, you can't afford it! Especially in the case of a Purdey. For my money in a low cost S X S you can't beat an SKB 280E in 20 ga. Can get one for $1500 or a little more depending on condition. If you can afford more money step up to a Parker Reproduction in 20 GA for about $3200. Either one of these guns gives you a lot of bang for your buck.

18. sxs28ga

sxs28ga TS Member

There is an unlimited supply of quality sxs(many mentioned above) - it just depends on how much you want to spend - in my humble opinion you should be able to find a good quality used sxs - remember most of these guns are used for hunting only, and will not have a ton of rounds thru them - I would also recommend that you go somewhere and see how these guns fit you - Try some - shoot some - and depending what your going to use it for, barrel length and chokes must be considered( I would not go any shorter than 28 inches even for heavy cover hunting) There is also alot more info available on the web at various sites - good luck on your quest -
    J Mroczka

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.