1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Good price on RCBS Grand at Midway

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Geoman15, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Geoman15

Geoman15 TS Supporters TS Supporters

As the titles suggests, Midway has the Grand on sale for $611.99.
    RCBS The Grand Progressive Shotshell Press 12 Ga 2-3/4 3
    With the RCBS rebate, that seems like a good deal.
    I have the Grand and after getting used to it, it loads well with minimal issues. Makes a good looking shell.
    I've loaded Gold Medals, AAs, and Rem GC/STS/Nitro, all with good results.
    Have it set up for Rem and AAs right now. RCBS offers a longer shot tube that helps with Rem/AAs column height, as the machine comes with a shorter one for Federal cases.
    I have no affiliation with Midway or RCBS, just wanted to pass it on if anyone is interested.
    George
    IMG_0445.JPG

hankd thanked this.
  2. Oskar

Oskar Active Member

I have one also which I really like. Have a call into RCBS for a 20 gauge wad seater which should help with catching wad petals. Mine came with the short shot tube, ordered a long one, but the short one actually works better for me and I load a lot of Rem hulls.

Good looking loads George.

Geoman15 thanked this.
  3. Geoman15

Oskar,
    That's a good idea on the wad seater. I get petals caught too.
    More with Windjammers and Rem Tgt 12s than with AA12s.
    May have to give RCBS another call. Just recd a new powder tube since the old one etched with Titegroup.
    Good loading,
    George

4. tkarl

tkarl TS Member

Can you guys help me? I've ordered one from MidwayUSA, but their stock status is: "Backorderable" right now and delivery date is: "Overdue". Getting any more info on delivery from RCBS is like getting blood from a turnip. I DID learn, however, that RCBS has moved, not sure if they have all their machines set up yet. It would help me to know when delivery is, as I have an item on Layaway elsewhere, but my funds are tied up waiting God-knows-how-long for delivery of my Grand. I've already lost the RCBS rebate, and Midway's free shipping offer -- both expiring Dec 31, but I got the press at the $611.99 price for sure. Any insights, anyone? How long a wait am I in for?

5. Gussers

Gussers Well-Known Member

Call Midway. Their customer service is stellar, and they will answer any questions you have. I buy from Midway all the time, and have had nothing but excellent service and great customer service when I have had a reason to call them.

tkarl thanked this.
  6. Geoman15

Good advice from Gussers.
    Midway may have a target date for RCBS to ship to them. Probably just a target at this point. Not much Midway can do but wait.
    They will probably give you the option of cancelling the order, or wait until stock arrives.
    I know it can be frustrating.
    Good luck on getting your Grand. I like mine a lot.
    George

tkarl thanked this.
  7. Oskar

Oskar Active Member

I bought one of Jim Skeel's pyrex powder bottle setups. Really nice and no more static or discolored bottle issues. Highly recommended.

tkarl and smokestick682's thanked this.
  8. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

9. tkarl

tkarl TS Member

Well, this statement turns out to be Fake News. I called RCBS today and they said they've been in the same facility for 75 years! Someone at MidwayUSA was telling me a fib. Also, RCBS said they were going to be making more Grands "at the end of January". This is great news for me, now I can get my Pointer Clays O/U shotgun out of Layaway and on its way to me!!! Thanks guys!

BTW, how many shot-drop tubes am I supposed to get with The Grand? (I've been reading Forums again!)

Jim: That pyrex powder tube looks great. How much does it hold?

10. Geoman15

Tkarl,
    My Grand came with one shot-drop tube, the shorter one, for GM/straight-wall cases.
    I called and they sent out a longer one for STS/AA for free.
    The instructions said it came with both, but not with mine. A call took care of it.
    Great service and free parts.
    Good luck with your new shotgun and loader.
    I like mine a lot. Loaded a quick flat last night for registered this weekend. 30-40 minutes.
    George

tkarl thanked this.
  11. Oskar

Oskar Active Member

I load a lot of 7/8 oz loads using Rem hulls and CB 4100 wads. My press was used when I bought and it came with the shorter shot tube. RCBS sent me a longer tube (supposedly for 7/8 oz loads) but I learned that if I used the long tube the wads were set too deep and my loads had deeper dished crimps. If I adjusted the spring on the crimp station to bring the crimp up it put too much pressure on the hull and caused buckling. I prefer that the crimp seat the wad especially using Titewad. You can adjust the wad seating depth by the wad station and the shot drop station length.

One tip. Preload 5 - 6 primers in the primer tube before placing the primer tray on the press, so that you are less likely to not get a primer drop. I also keep 2 -4 primers loose next to the press so that I can manually insert a primer if needed. Get in the habit of watching the primer transfer bar to be sure a primer drops cause if not......... oops......powder spill.

Other than this the grand is almost bullet proof and adjustments are rarely if ever needed unless changing a recipe.

tkarl and Geoman15 thanked this.
  12. Geoman15

Good post Oskar.
    I'll use either the long or short tube depending on the load.
    With Titewad or Titegroup, the shorter tube works well for me.
    With Clays, Red Dot, Green Dot, etc., I use the long tube.
    Really depends on the load. Very easy to adjust.
    I agree on the primer issue, also. I keep some in the tube. The primer tray will miss dropping one every once in a while.
    Having the extras in the tube will keep you going. I watch the primer drop to make sure one drops. Keep a few extras by the loader in case I need to add one.
    Other than this, the Grand is super easy to use.
    George

13. JussBad

JussBad Member

Oskar
    Tip on preloading the primers and not touching them: with primer tray on and pin in the load position you can lower the handle so the charge bar is away from the primer tray and just preload primers by manually moving the black lever on the primer tray left and release. Do this several times and the primers will preload.

tkarl thanked this.
  14. Oskar

Oskar Active Member

Good tip. Thanks.

15. tkarl

tkarl TS Member

Hmm, is the ONLY adjustment in the shot-drop stage to change the length of the tube, or is there a screw adjustment?

16. Trigger71

Trigger71 Member

I jumped on the Midway deal after seeing this post. Thanks! Was at my house 4-5 days after placing order (including a weekend). It came with both length shot tubes.