1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

good pointing dog?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by slayer, Sep 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Here it is September in Michigan and it's time to hunt birds. My old buddy, Luka Brasi the big yellow lab is just too old. It hurts him to jump over logs and he has no stamina left. I'm sure he has a few years left in front of the fire, but I won't hurt him any longer. The wifes little yellow is battling gunshy-ness after a fireworks incident and I may just let her be the wifes pet. How about some suggestions on a good, LARGE [coyotes aplenty here in MI] even tempered pointer. Got to be a pointer here, the pats hide in the pines. I'm leaning toward a big English setter, but they can be a handful to train. Thanks
    Bill Wheeler

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Foot hunting - french brit

A guy drove all the way from West Virgina to Minn each of the last 7 years to hunt grouse- last year he had 327 productive points with his french brit

Regards from Iowa

Gene

3. earlybird

earlybird TS Member

Are you looking for a finished dog, or going to start one yourself? If buying one ready to go, consider a shoot-to-retrieve dog that is finishing just out of the money. Owners of these dogs are frequently ready to move on to a more aggressive dog with a better chance of winning, while the first dog makes an excellent choice for real-world foot hunting situations. While I prefer slick-coated dogs for this application, breed really makes little difference if you have performance records on which to base your choice.

4. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

Although the French brittanys are smaller, they have a big heart and are excellent hunters and family dogs, I have two of them and hunt shaprtails, huns and pheasants. There is a breeder in North Dakota you might check out. Just google Windy Acres French Brittanys.

5. bling 27

bling 27 Member

I have hunted Michigan's U P for Ruffed Grouse since 1977 over English Setters and I'm looking forward to going this October. For me aspens, setters, and grouse go together. I have seen some good Britts and German Shorthairs also. Wayne

6. The Stive

The Stive Member

I have hunted with Weims,German Shorthairs, and German Wirehairs. I have seen
    both good and average in these breeds. Nothing like hunting over a pointing
    dog. John

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I like the GSPs - wonderful personalities and high performance. Plenty big to handle a coyote (we have run into a few). They key to managing these dogs is to get them out for a full tilt run at least twice per week and you really need to spend some quality play and training time with them every day.

8. Mike

Mike Member

There is a kennel in Dundee where they raise high quality pointing labs, english variety not as big. Mine is 6mo now, I love her. Mik

9. DONNE

DONNE Member

Here's my 2 cents ;
    If you're looking for a started or finished dog , any pointing breed , be prepared to pay ! Good pups ain't cheap either.

Michigan is known for its grouse and woodcock , so I assume thats what you'll be hunting. The "traditional" dogs for that are called "cover dogs" which are usually Setters.

We have EPs & GSPs & do field trials & hunting tests. As far as temperament , the GSPs are more people oriented and appear to want to please more. The EPs are more aloof and could care less about a pat on the head . However , they are bird crazy and range out farther and cover more ground simply because of their speed.

As far as the coyotes go , can't help you there as we don't have that many 'round here and haven't had any encounters yet on any of the trial grounds we use , and hope we never do ! Our dogs aren't fighters. I have seen some big EPs & GSP MALES that I'm sure could hold their own against "1" coyote.

Brad Dysinger has Britts and I think he raises a litter or 2 now and then. You may want to get in touch with him and see what he thinks. Good Luck , and by the way , the training part is the most fun to me :)

10. Drew Hause

Drew Hause Well-Known Member

Good 'nuf? :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At least they're purty

11. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I had a GSP. These dogs are prone to hip dysplasia, which my dog suffered from. They have a lot of energy!!!!! hence, they need a lot of room to roam around at home.

12. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

A Ryman or Llewellin setter will hunt a slower more deliberate pace than the common English setter (at least that's how they are bred). Great for Grouse. A big bust'n pointer is not ideal for grouse, and a slow deliberate setter is sometimes too slow for running pheasant.

A Ryman on point will have a horizontal tail, Llewellin and English setters will display a high tail on point. The Ryman was originally bred for netting birds, so they preferred the low tail so as to not interfere with the net.

13. Drew Hause

Drew Hause Well-Known Member

A setter...uh...settin'

[​IMG]

"In The Field Shooting with English Setters 1891"

[​IMG]

14. wpairishshot

wpairishshot Member

Ok Im going out on a limb here because I know most of the hunting people wont believe this, but why not try one of the red setters? If you get around the website for the National Red Setter Field Trial Club you will see that the people in that club have made a comeback with the breed. Traditionalists insist that irish are just good looking dogs and I dont think some of the clubs accept the way they had to get the hunting bloodlines back, but I have one and he is a wonderful dog. They were bred as a hunting dog, and despite the fact that they had been bred away from that, they are back. Information can also be found under The Flushing Whip and The Purest Challenge. Try a red, they arent bad.

Kevin McIlwain

15. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

I throw one more fly in the ointment. Gordon Setter, naturally close working and deliberate, about the same as the above mentioned red setter. There seem to be a few more of the Gordon's out there than in the past and the ones I have been associated with have great noses.
    Hunt Well and Safe

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Those Red Setters are good dogs Kevin. I recently hunted in KS with an old college pal and he had a Red. They worked well together but the thing that didn't work out so great was all the burrs that got woven into that dog's nice coat. My pal spent an hour or so each night getting the burrs out of his dog's fur - probably pissed him off that my GSP Gus and I were lounging around eating pizza and drinking beer while he had dog chores to attend to ...

17. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

[​IMG]

Which way did he go??????????

18. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

GSP all the way!!
    [​IMG]

19. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

I had several pointing dogs. My last 3 were all German Wirehares
    They are the best, strong, good with kids, great watchdogs
    and very good hunters. Love them.

20. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

German Wirehaired Pointer. The most versatile hunting dog on the planet and most will whip ass on a coyote. My first (Mugs) still had the stitches in him when I adopted him from saving his temporary mistresse's Basset from a couple of coyotes when the 3 of them (she and the two dogs) were walking in a wilderness area. Not a cat, bunny, chickens friendly breed though. Wonderful family dogs. Here's Mugs now, hitting on barmaid Molly Mae, (hey baby, howsabout you and me getting a quiet corner booth together) cigarette dangling casually from his lip.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

comeback red setters for ruffed grouse hunting