1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Good or Bad experiences with custom stock

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Usemeasapunchingbag, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Usemeasapunchingbag

Usemeasapunchingbag TS Member

Just courious how many have had good or bad experiences . My experience was very pleasant with the fitting and so forth . My wood did not turn out as expected . I'm in the faze of trying 1 more time . Mighty expensive when something doesn't turn out . Any other expericence this?

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Did you use their wood or your own?

regards from Iowa

Gene

3. Usemeasapunchingbag

Usemeasapunchingbag TS Member

Gene I purchased my own , from now on i will use the stock makers wood

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I've always had to do some filing/sanding if it's been close. Two weren't close and had to be sold. Still, I keep trying.

Neil

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

get a pfs. You can make them just about any dimension you could want (and modify the grip w/ a rasp and bondo if need be), they are usually about 1/2 the price of a custom stock in std grade wood, and can easily be sold if you want to try something else, as well as having a built in recoil reducer.

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I think that is the lesson about using your own wood- make sure it will turn out -- because if it doesnt- you have no one to blame but yourself- holding the bag all alone

regards from Iowa

Gene

7. Baber

Baber TS Member

Just got a Perazzi back from donnie Gimes at Show Me Gunstocks. As I was not interested in fancy wood I let him pick something to match the Forearm. Better that I expected. Fit and Finish also better that I expect. Only rub is he did not send the case or pattern stock back. Other than that an excellent experience.

This was 4th custom stock I have done in the last 25 years. I have had good and bad experiences. Other than the case and pattern stock not being returned (yet) this has been the best. I did one deal with a guy in California that was a mess. He tried to charge me double. Had to get my credit card people involved.

Will probably do another again as this was the first time with a pattern stock that I bondoed up.

TB

8. dbls_champ

dbls_champ TS Member

I have some good experiences but I don't think it is a good investment. Especially if you always fluctuate in weight like I do. I've only had a custom stock fit me for about a year at a time then they don't fit anymore.

9. dbls_champ

dbls_champ TS Member

I have some good experiences but I don't think it is a good investment. Especially if you always fluctuate in weight like I do. I've only had a custom stock fit me for about a year at a time then they don't fit anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.