1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Good old Illinois

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by thomaslea1, Aug 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thomaslea1

thomaslea1 Member

Just got a letter from 'my' State Representative that included a list of legislation blocked and referred back to Committee. BUT: One did pass both houses. It was SB 3241. The text sent in the letter from the Rep. states:

SB 3421 - Allows Mentally Disabled To Own a Firearm if Granted Permission by Illinois State Police. (Sponsor: Kotowski) Persons prohibited from owning a firearm under federal law because mental defects or have been committed to a mental institution may apply to ISP for relief from prohibition. (Passed Both Houses)

This scares me.................

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

3. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

Oh! That would be because there a possibility that one who actually should not be able to be in possession of a firearm may slip through the cracks and be granted permission to own one, then cause serious damage hurting gun owners further.
    Easiest question all day.
    -Trappy

4. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

But then again Trappy...perhaps it is you or I or your next door neighbor that has "slipped through the cracks" prior to being diagnosed w/ mental defects...and there is no provision for a review by anyone. Ever thought of that?

Maybe it is best to worry about yourself and not prejudge anyone or any situation.

5. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

You got to be mental just to shoot trap. Standing in 105 heat index just to break a little clay target . .Not to mention all the money you will spend in the sport. LOL

6. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

It actually doesn't matter who the person is actually. If they have any sort of mental health issues that may deem them too dangerous or too much of a risk to owning a firearm, even if it is me, should not own one.
    -Trappy

7. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

SB3421 Was passed for the benefit of our ex governors

jpark

8. rooster59

rooster59 TS Member

What do "both Illinois houses" and "mental defectives" have in common?

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

It'll be interesting to see if an individual actually acquires the FOID, having a mental impairment...

regards,

Jay

10. larryjk

larryjk Member

PLease remember that many returning veterans are diagnosed with Post Tramatic Stress Disorder. This is legally used as a mental disorder against them. I am not sure when they regain their rights as a normal citizen. I know one of them well. He was a spcial operations rifleman (sniper) in the retaking of Fallujah. He does have some PTSD problems, but is more sane than many people I know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.