1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Good 'ol Jim Cunningham

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Border Bandit, Mar 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Good

Jim Cunningham has come through in spectacular fashion, and saved me from myself, once again.

I have one of the oldest known PW 800B's on the planet,(#5296) with many upgrades to include the removable die set and fabulous 'lectric motor drive. Lately, I've had trouble with certain types of wads getting cocked into the hulls, and could never get the Winchester 7/8oz wads to work. After talking to my pals Al and Tom, and then, calling Jim about it; we determined that the wad cup sometimes sticks and needs to be sanded, polished, and generally beat into submission. Also, the fingers on the wad guide needed to be inspected to make sure there were none missing or that the top of it was not cracked/broken. Furthermore, I started to have trouble with my beloved Downrange Windjammers and returned a case of them to CAC for replacement with Remington Fig-8S, thinking that was the only wad that was going to be trouble free.

Still the issue persisted, although not as frequently. Well, last Thursday, after taking the thing apart for the thousandth time, and getting my finger stuck in the cleverly designed Chinese hand immobilization device. I determined that it's fingers were not exactly perfect and took my nifty trimer to it, to even them out; cutting approx. 1/16" from each finger(not mine). As you guys who are on the floor laughing, by now, know, that little bit of maintenance made the machine completely useless, at least for loading shot shells; although it was still fine for demonstrating the cool motor drive.

What to do? The answer, as always, call MR. Jim Cunningham, who at the time, was set up at the Southern Grand. Yeah, he said you need a new set of guide fingers, they're 2 bucks each. Well, being a big spender, and all, I ordered up three of 'em, along with a shiny new lower piece and a new spring, just to be sure. He told me he'd drop the treasures in the mail that evening after the shoot. That was Thursday.

Guess what was in my mailbox, Saturday noon? Yep, it was the pieces-parts that good 'ol Jim had sent, from Florida to PA, via express mail.

Now, thanks to Jim Cunningham the old 800 is singing along without a hitch and I'm even able to confidently load the 7/8oz Winchester wads.

Thanks again, Jim, you're the best... CU at Elysburg this summer ..... Mike

2. TjayE

TjayE Member

Mike, glad to hear you found the problem with your 800B and corrected it. When using the P/W shot shell reloader, it is good to have the (2) Jim's telephone numbers available for technical advise. The two Jim's are Cunningham and White, as in Whiz. They both have helped me in the past to keep my P/W reloading flawlessly. By the way, a belated Happy Birthday to Whiz White. Tom E.

3. Border Bandit

Hey, Tom! Good to hear from you. Yes I've heard Mr. White spoken of in the best of terms, and always pay close attention to his posts. We're very lucky to have the two Jim's always ready to lend a hand, and supply pieces-parts and expertise.

BTW, Waynesboro's gonna open for our first practice on Thursday April 2nd ~4PM. I cordially invite you to come shoot a couple of rounds with us.

Best to you and our friends at Greencastle. ......mike

4. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Jim has bailed me out many times with all of my PWs, the oldest one being serial # 705.

Ed Yanchok

5. Bow Hunter

Bow Hunter Member

Mike I told you weeks and weeks ago that the wad guide fingers needed replaced. I guess you didn't believe me that they would not last for 500,000 reloads!!!LOL

Al

PS for $2 bucks replace them at least once a year or more often! You can't see the uneven wear on them!

6. BIG PAPA

BIG PAPA Member

I would agree with all you guys. Jim Cunningham has helped me more than once. Many years ago I was having problems with my very old 800B not wanting insert the wads straight etc. So I boxed it up and sent it back to the factory. When I got the loader back from the factory I started loading on it again. Within 25 shells the loader started having the same problem again. The grand was in Vandalia, Ohio at that time and PW sent their best to rebuild and repair machines. I brought the machine into them to repair. They remembered the machine since they had just worked on it a month before. The factory told me they had fixed the problem "again" this time. Brought it home, starting loading on it again and less than 25 rounds it started acting up again. I had a good friend of mine who is very handy a fixing mechicinal problems take a look at the machine. He told me we needed to put some oil on the top area around the wad guide. I told him the factory instruction book in big bold letters said not to put any oil in this area. He said that is "BS", it it moves it should have oil on it. We put oil on it that day and I have put oil on top of the wad guide EVERYTIME I use the loader since that day. I have never had a problem with the loader not seating the wads since nor have I ever changed the wad guide fingers in over 15 years!!! Oil it and it will work fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

8. Border Bandit

Hey, Al. I did listen, and paid strict attention, but was waiting for the next shoot thinking you were gonna show up with a pocketful of those finger thingeys. Besides, Barb told me I had to wait for this month's allowance before she'd spring for the $2 to get me the new ones. (GRIN)

let's bust 'em all this summer...mike

9. Bow Hunter

Bow Hunter Member

Hey Mike I've been showin up but it musta been the wrong shoot!!!!LOL I always keep lots of those finger thingeys in my spare parts bin and in my pocket when one of my buddies needs em!! Musta missed ya!!!LOL

Al

PS remember they may not look broken, but you may have just plain wore em out!!!

Shoot Straight, Shoot Often, and Bust a Bunch!!!

10. Border Bandit

That was the problem, Al. I was looking for cracks & missing fingers, not worn fingernails; especially since there was no reference to go on. Of course, trimming it's fingernails ended it's life, right then and there. Anyway, I never realized how much they were worn until comparing them with the new ones Jim sent.

I never saw you after the last Tri-State shoot; but am assuming you'll make the banquet at Thurmont. I've been going to the MD shoots.....North Carroll winter league, and now, Heart of Maryland, plus Tuesday nights at Thurmont, and Wednesday nights at North Carroll. Man, if it wasn't for Jim supplying pieces parts, to keep the old PW churning out new bullets, I'd be shooting Wallyworld Gunwhatevers.....NOT!

PS: Ask me about the "other" problem.

11. Bow Hunter

Bow Hunter Member

OK I'll bite "What's the other problem"?

Al

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

jim cunningham whiz