1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Good news for sellers/buyers using Priority Mail

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by postmastertim, Jul 28, 2013.

1. postmastertim

postmastertim Wheels are falling off.... TS Supporters

Starting today Priority Mail includes $50 in insurance with no rate increase.

Tim

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Good news.

I'd like to have an option to bet on delivery date, since they don't guaranty 3day delivery. I'd pay $1 extra to have a delivery date guaranty, if they miss, I'll get my money back. I had a few Priority mail delivered over 7~10 days.

A gentleman sent me a check via Priority Mail from barely 200 miles away in the same state, it took 7 days to get here. One of my check to Midwest from CA via Priority Mail took 10 days. Pony Express could beat that back in those days.

3. postmastertim

Actually you do get an expected delivery date, if you want a guaranteed date you have to pay for Priority Mail Express, but it's more than $1, which puts it out of reach of most trapshooters. LOL.

Pony Express was 10 - 13 days from St Louis to San Francisco, just a historical note.

Let the postal bashing continue.......

Tim

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I'm normally a strong supporter of the Postal Service. After all, since we taxpayers cover their expenses, it is OUR shipping firm. And you know, they deliver on time a lot more often than not. But right now, they are at the bottom of my Christmas list.

I ordered a handgun from a Tennessee gun shop on Tuesday. It was shipped via USPS Priority Mail on Wednesday, the 24th with an expected delivery date of Friday, the 26th. For some reason, it was sent to Bellmawr, New Jersey and arrived there Thursday, where it languished until Friday, its scheduled delivery date in south-central Pennsylvania. Friday night, it migrated to Philthadelphia, where it spent its Saturday. Today, Sunday, it traveled back west to Harrisburg, where it was supposed to be sent in the first place. Overnight tonight, it no doubt will venture across the Susquehanna River to the Etters, PA post office and on to my gunsmith's shop tomorrow. The only good news is that my gunsmith, who often as not is out of his shop driving a commercial airliner for Southwest, will be home for two weeks beginning sometime Monday morning.

But it really isn't late, you know. The tracking information for the package still shows that it will be delivered on Friday, July 26th.

When I order parts from Smith & Wesson, they are shipped via FedEx Ground right past a FedEx Ground terminal not far from here to Martinsburg, West Virginia where the package is put in the U.S. Mail! It then travels back north to our local post office and on to me. Eight days to come to Pennsylvania from Massachusetts? But for a couple of bucks extra, S&W will ship overnight right to my door.

I'm sure all this makes sense to someone in the shipping business.

Ed

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I thought that handguns could not be shipped through the USPS. Only through contract carriers, UPS, Fed Ex., etc.. I may be wrong.

I also thought that the maximum time in transit was 48 hours.

6. APrice

APrice Active Member

7. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

USPS is okay for handguns but the 48 hours part is right, I think. It was a few years ago, anyway.

Ed

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

FFL dealers may send handguns by USPS. Non-licensees may NOT send handguns USPS. They must ship Fedex or UPS.

9. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Ah yep, FFL to FFL is good to go through USPS.

FIREARMS LAW ADMINISTERED BY THE POSTAL SERVICE
    TITLE 18, UNITED STATES CODE, CHAPTER 83

In reference to mailing pistols, revolvers, or any firearm that is concealable on a person.

"Such articles also may be conveyed in the
    mails to manufacturers of firearms or
    bona fide dealers therein in customary
    trade shipments, including such articles
    for repairs or replacement of parts, from
    one to the other, under such regulations as the Postal Service shall prescribe."

10. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

WAKE UP! It was the first $100 was free insurance, now it was reduced to the first $50.

11. postmastertim

No, Priority Mail never included any insurance before Sunday. It was available for $1.95.

Express Mail included $100 in insurance.

Tim

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I sent a package to alaska today and got the free ins