1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

good news 4 Illinois pheasant hunters

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kolared person, Apr 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolared person

kolared person TS Member

apparently our voices have been heard. I called the Desplaines conservation area and talked to JEFF. he said they will be raising birds and the program is on for 2008. there is strength in numbers!

2. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

That's Great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was hoping to hear something soon....Thanks to everyone that voiced their opinion and sent e-mails to Sam Flood and the IDNR....The voice of many can be a powerful!!!!

3. 5spd

5spd TS Member

Thats great!
    I used to hunt pheasants on my granfathers farm in Glenn Ellen in the 60s when I was a grasshopper. They were all over that area back then......Its where the State College is now as they bought his farm.

4. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

This was the response I received from my e-mail

Thank you for your input on the Office of Management and Budget proposal to eliminate the DNR pheasant hunting program. I have spoken with DNR and have received information on the costs and revenues of this program. The costs associated with this program are 1.2 million dollars. The department has indicated that the current full-time staff in charge of raising the pheasants has other duties and will be retained. After deducting salaries, the true costs are $375,000. The fees that are collected are in excess of $450,000. I believe elimination of this program will cost the state money.

I chaired a House-Senate hearing to question the Office of Management and Budget on this issue as well as the funding they are withholding on other downstate related programs. The $450,000 in fees exceeds the amount of the costs without salaries. There are other fees in the form of hunting permits and habitat stamps that are purchased by people who participate in the DNR pheasant hunts. There are also thousands of dollars in income generated by the sales tax paid by hunters that frequent our parks to hunt pheasants. Elimination of this program will adversely affect our local restaurants and other small businesses that surround our parks.

I have spoken with a number of legislators and sportsmen and have introduced House Joint Resolution 117 to formulate a proposal to restore funding. HJR 117 articulates many of the items you mentioned. In addition, I have proposed a fee increase to help cover the costs of personnel associated with the pheasant hunting program.

Dan Reitz
    State Representative
    116th District

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    What's going on? Simple. Gunowners can get a lot done when they unite and not compromise the other guy's guns away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.