1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

== Good Movies (+ Politics, LOL) ==

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GW22, Aug 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I just watched an On-Demand movie called COMPANY MEN, with Ben Affleck, Tommy Lee Jones, Kevin Costner, Craig T. Nelson and Chris Cooper. It's from 2010 and I had never heard of it, but I thought it was pretty darn good. It's about some successful, interesting people who go through corporate downsizing and tough times. If that sounds intersting give it a try, you'll probably enjoy it too.

If you've got any suggestions for other good movies, please share.

-Gary

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

There is only one "Good Movie".

"Good Fellas" Directed by Martin Scorsese. With Robert De Niro, Ray Liotta, Joe Pesci, Lorraine Bracco.

My all time favorite.

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

If there's not a lot of violence and gratuitous sex, then it can't be a good movie...

grnberetcj_2008_030330.jpg

Curt

4. SpeedyWho

SpeedyWho Active Member

Grand Torino - Clint Eastwood

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I pass on all that gangster stuff.

One of my favorite movies is Space Cowboys.

This is a very well done 2000 science fiction film directed by Clint Eastwood. Eastwood also stars in the film alongside Tommy Lee Jones, Donald Sutherland, and James Garner as four older "ex-test pilots" who are sent into space to repair an old Soviet satellite. The original music score was composed by Eastwood and Lennie Niehaus. (From the Wikipedia)

The film is very believable contains some authentic and special effects space shuttle scenes. In particular, the special effects include juxtaposing the actor’s faces on space suits performing space walks and related activities.

On the DVD edition, there is a 20 minute appearance of the “Space Cowboys” on the Jay Leno show in front of a live audience. This performance is “ad lib” and is noteworthy in its own right.

The acting and story line is top shelf.

Ed Ward

6. ABH

ABH Member

Gary, your right. That movie tastefully showed how greed can take over men who run large companies and the after effects their decisions can have on the little people in the company.

My favorite movie is The Green Mile, starring Tom Hanks. The acting was superb by the entire cast. Though the story is fiction, the movie shows the major issues surrounding capital punishment and racism.

ART H.

7. Grayson Mayne

Grayson Mayne Member

Gary, Ben Affleck is a D.H. and I won't watch his movies. He said if Bush got elected he would move to Canada. Why is the SOB still here? Screw that AH.

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Hey Grayson...don't sugar coat it, tell us how you really feel...LOL

Curt

9. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Darn, I tried to rent 3:10 to Yuma but it's not on U-Verse and I don't feel like driving to a rental place. I've seen all the others mentioned above.

Have any other good ones come out recently?

-Gary

10. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

One of my favorites is "Tombstone". Always interesting.

11. grntitan

A more recent movie and must see:

"The Adjustment Bureau" ..........Directed by George Nolfi. With Matt Damon, Emily Blunt, Florence Kastriner, Phyllis MacBryde

It's one of those fiction movies that makes you go HMMMMMMM maybe could happen.

12. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Steel Magnolias - ok just kidding.

13. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Canada has its standards when it comes to someone like Benny Alffleck

You know, one movie that was kind of a flop, but I thought true to history was the movie "The Assassination of Jesse James" with Brad Pitt and Casey Alffleck.
    I enjoyed watching it and it was not slow or tedious to watch.

I am not a big fan of either actor, but Pitt did a really good job of stripping Jesse James of the glamor, myth and legend that has been applied to a murdering theif and armed robber. This movie presents the ugly side of a beloved crimminal.

14. GW22

GW22 Active Member

REGARDING BEN AFFLECK:

OK, I was trying to keep this thread light, but I follow politics closely and it's hard to resist letting some of you drag me down this path. So here goes:

Let's be honest. If we really looked hard at the politics of everyone in Hollywood, we would never be able to enjoy a movie in good conscience. You can count the truly conservative actors on your fingers, and you might not need both hands. Even non-Liberal actors I love, like Robert Duvall, sometimes say things that are sypathetic to the Left. So I choose to only boycott the hard-core blatant America-haters like Jane Fonda, Michael Moore, and that over-tattood doper Angelina Jolie. I also boycott the Coen brothers, which broke my heart because it meant I couldn't see the new TRUE GRIT. But that's a whole other story. Back to Affleck...

I don't agree with Affleck's politics, but I will say this: At least he has taken time to educate himself on broader politics and he tries, as much as a Liberal can, to be intellectually honest. During the 2008 election run-up I saw him on a conservative talking head show. It maybe even have been on Fox News. I fought back my gag reflex and watched. He can debate intelligently and, although his personal politics conflict with mine, unlike most Hollywood types he at least knows the process and terminology better than 95% of the American electorate. He even conceded a couple conservative points made by others, which is rare among Leftist Hollywood types. I later saw him on four of five other similar shows and, in each case, it was clear that he actually follows politics closely and didn't just adopt his Liberal philosophy on blind ignorant faith like most actors and coast-dwellers do.

While I was unexpectedly impressed by Affleck's knowledge and how well he handled himself in impromptu political debate, it occurred to me that this is a guy who might very well end up in politics some day. Let's hope he just educated himself in order to be involved in the populist wave of "Obama Fever" and that he has no political aspirations himself. Because otherwise, if you hate him, buckle-up my friends because the American electorate has never been more superficial or ignorant than it is now and it gets worse every year when the next crop of entitlement parasites reach voting age. They'll vote for a guy like Affleck in a heartbeat.

-Gary

15. ShootinSue

ShootinSue Active Member Supporting Vendor

They may not be "new" releases, but excellent movies besides the ones that are always mentioned such as Quigley Down Under, Last of the Mohicans, The Rock, Tombstone, ect:

U-571: A great war/submarine movie, a must see, we can watch this one over and over.

Rambo, The fight continues: We are not Rambo fans, but his last one is excellent. Caution, very graphic.

Apocalypto: Excellent film by Mel Gibson.

Soldier: Kurt Russell stars. Excellent movie.

The Ghost and the Darkness: Val Kilmer and Michael Douglas true story, excellent movie.

Sue

16. ShootinSue

ShootinSue Active Member Supporting Vendor

Sorry....It posted my message twice for some reason......

Sue

17. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

I don't know what a D.H. is but Aflick probably is one.

18. rocktire

rocktire Member

Lonesome dove, sling blade, man from snowy river, mountain men, jeremiah johnson, josie wales, return to lonesome dove, mcclintock, need i go on

19. GW22

GW22 Active Member

SLING BLADE! Unquestionably one of my all-time favorite movies. Thanks for reminding me.

-Gary

20. grntitan

"Fast Times At Ridgemont High"

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sKrpl-KBTzQ?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sKrpl-KBTzQ?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.