1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GOOD LUCK? Does it Matter?...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Star4Ever, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

In the past, days prior to a shoot and on the shoot day, often my friends would say... "Good Luck" to me as we parted company. Referring of course... to my shooting and results.

Often times, I used to wonder just what "Lady Luck" had to do with my trap shooting....?
    After all, had not I put in enough time at the range honing skills and technique?
    Did I not keep my equipment up to snuff and well maintained?

So for a year now... I usually say to other shooters... "You will do Well... I KNOW you Can" when we depart.

OK OK....

So Lady Luck bit me in the ASS this weekend friends....

On the first round of 200 targets the trap machine starts acting up....
    No birds or loads of hard rights.

After some fiddlin' by the gun club crew they get the machine all sorted out...
    Shooting resumes... as we FRY in the heat, sweat rolling down.... the boys are moist...

I call for a bird, it was a hard right from 5.... I am thinking "Sheesh that is hard" I fire...
    It was an out of bounds bird but I bought it as I had fired.... BAD LUCK.

So my squad,, we get moved to another field in the line. This machine does not work...

We fry in the heat, boys are dripping....

We get moved to another machine.... one of the speakers there needs replacing a few shots in...

We wait and fry some more...

So. I know what bad luck is....
    I may have to change my well wishes to my friends to incorporate something to do with LUCK.....

What is your story regarding luck?

Should be interesting.
    Art

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Luck is the idiosyncrasy's of the weather, wind, and machine. Sometimes everyone needs a little luck. Especially me. The Trap Gods rule. How to appease them, well please give this old boy some advice. I need all the luck I can get.

3. shot410ga

Keller, your boring.........You mean you don't drink the blood of a live chicken before you shoot?

4. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Don't forget...and do NOT ignore...the fact that fortune - luck - plays in your actually breaking a target when only a few (3 or more pellets) of your 70% shot pattern MUST hit the target. Ever consider how easily a target can escape through the obvious holes in every shot pattern which only contains 70% of the shot in the shell you fired? If it is only one or two targets which "escape", it is enough to put you out of the running. And some people still like to think that shooting less than the maximum shot load (i.e., 7/8 or 1 oz.) won't impact their score. Tell me I am wrong that you can always break every target when only 70% or so of your shot reaches the vicinity of the target. There is LUCK in every shot, even if the environment - heat, wind, traps performance etc. is perfect. Flame Away. Regards, Ed

5. Bentley998

Bentley998 Member

If you have a choice between sskill and luck- choose luck - much more reliable

6. mich746

mich746 Member

Lady luck likes to hang out with the people who work the hardest.

But It's unlucky to be superstitious.

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I always found that the more I practiced the luckier I got ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Gee whiz......!!!! Yes! For Gwad's sake, Saying "Good Luck" most certainly matters. It is the most important thing you can do prior to shooting in a tournament.

And, if you don't send some inspirational email to 30 of your best friends in the next 5-minutes, you are going to have bad luck and you will go blind while smoking a cigar in your underwear - and while singing the National Anthem at the same time - AND..... you'll poop your shorts when they sing the words, "rockets red glare". That is what happens to me....... but only when I've been partaking of Lousiana Hot Sauce sprinkled on some pig knuckles while cooking Swamp Cabbage, on any Tuesday morning.

Threads like this are the main reason Trapshooter.com was created, I'm sure.....

9. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all..... ;-)

Hauxfan!

10. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I always count on the Golden BB I put in every reload. Regards, Ed

11. shot410ga

Keller, you also don't have any sense of humor....

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I believe that "good luck" is a product of "high biorhythms"

13. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

It's been said that "luck" is nothing more than preparation meeting opportunity...

WPT's got it right...

Jay

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Art,

Sounds like the club you shot at sucked. Seems like they did not prepare the trap machines for the shoot. HMB

15. James344

James344 Active Member

Not sure if luck has anything to do with it, but my wife bought my son a new shirt on the Tuesday of the Ohio State shoot, and on Wednesday he shot his first 97 in caps and earned his first move back. From that point on we washed that shirt every night and he wore it the rest of the program and only dropped below 91 once for the rest of the program. He ended up with 2 handicap wins, the sub-junior C of C doubles win, and the SJ runner-up in the Sunday doubles championship, as well as another 1/2 yd back (1 1/2 total this week).

He picked a fine time to really figure out his gun and the pattern, but I like to think that new shirt was involved at least a little.

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

James344, it's really alright if you feel that way, just don't convince your son the shirt is the magic trick!

Luck is when you think you shot in front or behind a clay and it smokes completely!! That's luck and schooling at the same time!!

Hap

17. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Good one, doggy.

18. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

"If I don't practice for one day, I know it;
    two days the critics know it;
    three days, the public knows it."

Jascha Heifetz (concert pianist)

Mike

19. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Several years back, I was 80 some straight in a handicap event. Then I boiled the dust off of a hard hit target,Lost. Oh well a 99 will have to do. # 95 same story. Lots of dust,no visible piece. If these were live birds,100 straight kills. Bad luck! I was shooting at least 500 targets a week at the time. More practice would have no bearing on my results.

Clyde

20. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Luck is when preparation meets opportunity...

John Wooden