1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Good handicap powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kgun_shooter, Dec 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

I've been using Winchester Super handicap powder for a couple of years now for my handicap loads and I think it's time for a change. Can anyone recommend a good powder that's not too heavy on recoil and still able to get velocities above 1230 f.p.s.?

Thanks

2. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Green Dot.

3. missemucho

missemucho Member

Second the motion on Green Dot; lowest felt recoil of any of the handicap powders IMHO.
    John

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Green Dot is the only way to go...

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I'll buck the trend here and suggest Hodgdon's Titegroup powder. It is very economical to load (18.0 grains to get a 1235fps load) and is quite soft shooting. The other plus is it isn't temperature sensative like some powder are when it gets cold.

If you like the Nitro 27 Handicap shells from Remington, you'll love Titegroup.

ss

6. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I like Titegroup too. Its really, really close to what Remington uses in their Nitro 27 handicap loads.

But you are fooling yourself if you believe any powder can change the recoil of a shell. If your shell has 1-1/8 of shot and it has a muzzle velocity of 1230 fps, you kind of get what you get with recoil, regardless of what powder you use.

Neil Winston did a double blind test, with several people (both believers and non-believers) on this a short time back, and all things being equal, nobody could tell one powder from another.

Why do you think you need to change powders?

7. dhip

dhip Active Member

GReen Dot

Doug H.

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

What timb99 said... felt recoil comes from moving a given weight at a given speed, period. Any minor difference in the combustion rate of one powder to another is measured in milliseconds and there isn't a shoulder on the planet that can tell the difference.

Realistically, any powder that can produce a velocity of 1235 FPS with a 1 1/8 oz load without exceeding 10500-11000 PSI in the process would be acceptable.

But if your current powder works, why switch unless you just want to experiment for the heck of it?

MK

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I used some Titegroup and loved the results. The negative for me was that it would cling togethr and actually destroyed my PW plastic base. I went to the aluminum base which was a good move but I just dont feel good about Titegroup since then. I have taken shells apart a year later and the titegroup is in a clump stuck together??

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

cubancigar

Many powders will do that.

Doesn't affect a thing.

11. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

Remington STS Hull, Rem 209primer 1 1/8 oz shot for 1230fps how much Green Dot?

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

The answer, BeerKing, is on Alliant's website.

13. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

What's wrong with the powder you using? I like it.

14. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

I don't always trust the websites, I have seen the different recipes for the same components change from year to year on the website and in the info sent out by different manufactures, that is why I was questioning whether some one had actually loaded and chroned the load. PB got a little pricy but if the Green Dot does not perform as expected I will be returning.

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

BeerKing

I would place a million times more trust in Alliant's website than any advice you get from anyone on this forum!

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

There are many good powders for handicap loads, but I believe Green Dot is the best.

For reasons that nobody understands, patterns with Green Dot always seem to result is a slightly denser 20 inch core. This is clearly shown in the patterns I have analyzed and it has been confirmed by other knowledgeable posters on this site.

Pat Ireland

17. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

for 1250 pfs loads, Unique.. PB next

18. kgun_shooter

kgun_shooter Member

The powder is really fine and it doesn't seem to drop very well in my loader. I've had a lot of empty shots.

19. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Green Dot is my go to for Handicap loads. If I want something at 1250 or a little above, Odds are, I'll be loading Unique.

For the most part, Alliant's data is fairly consistent. There are always a few exceptions, but they do double check anything if enough people call them on it. I sometimes look for a reality check from other sources. Most of them agree.

20. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

STS hulls---Win 209 primers---rem fig 8 wads---1 1/8th oz 7 1/2's---23.7 grains of Clays Universal = 1250 fps. Shooting this load feels like shooting extra light loads, to me at least.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.