1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

good handicap load

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SKB65, May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SKB65

SKB65 TS Member

Ok right now on my 16's i use sts hull winchester 209 primers 7 1/2 shot with 18 grains of hodgdon clays with 1 1/8 oz of shot and downrange XL 1 wad. And im looking for a good handicap load for long range. Im looking to keep all of the same things but i want to bump up the powder charge a little. I just want to know what i need to do. Any advise helps. Thanks

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I see a new powder in your future.

ss

3. Ron M

Ron M Member

You may have a good handicap load there already, check the hodgdon manual before you add much more powder.
    Ron

4. rmy

rmy Member

Change to Greendot or Int. Clays or similar powder. Clays is a agreat 1 oz. load or light 1 1/8 oz load, however, pressures get high in a hurry when you try to make it a handicap load. JMO rmy

5. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I have shot close to 75,000 25-27 yard birds with 19 gr. Green Dot, Win 209 primer, STS hull and Fig 8 wad 1-1/8 Magnum 7 1/2s. This is a low recoil load and if you point them right, you will ink spot birds.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

It is much easier to find a good handicap load than to find a good handicap score.

Pat Ireland

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

John Thompson posted my handicap load, except my bushing throws 19.1gr of Green Dot. Bump it to 20gr if you want a 1200fps load. All of this info is on Alliant's web site.

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You are very close to the limit of what CLAYS will do under 1 1/8 OZ of shot. If you really want more velocity then get some International Clays or Green Dot and follow the manufacturer's data (not something you find here)

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

As others have noted, the load you are using now may be just fine for you all the way back. I know some excellent handicap shooters who use factory 1-1/8 ounce loads at 1145 fps.

One of the keys, I think, to good handicap loads is to use good quality, hard, high antimony shot. Remington and Lawrence are good brands, but there are others.

If you want to go faster than your current load, I recommend the following:

Remington Hull <br>
    Win209 Primer <br>
    Hodgdon Titegroup - 17.1 grains <br>
    Downrange DRRT-12 wad (TGT-12s clone) <br>
    1-1/8 ounces of good, hard shot

10. rmy

rmy Member

timb99, that is a great load using Titegroup. I load almost the same except I use 17.4 grs. However, I can't tell the difference between this load and 20.5 grs of Greendot and a good 1 1/8 oz wad. rmy

11. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

SKB65, if you don't shoot from far back then why kill yourself. I shoot from 21.5 and use 7/8 load. Dusts targets. Won my group at the Southern Zone for New Jersey using them. Any load used still has to be placed right. Good luck Chuck Hrosik

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

SKB65

I would seriously consider a lighter charge of Clays in that load. Most data show it to be within limits when the testing was done on older equipment. It has been listed in "LUPS" to the present day. In actuality, I suspect that the load is closer to the maximum pressure limits when tested with more modern equipment. I do NOT use Clays for anything more than the lighter 1 1/8 oz loads anymore. Clays seems to stack up and hit the wall pretty quickly, pressure wise.

That said, I would recommend Green Dot, Unique, Universal Clays, or International Clays. PB and a few others will do well, but appear to be more costly. I use Green Dot up to about 1225 fps, with the Downrange Versalite Wads. I will also use Unique from 1200 to 1250 fps. There are many listed loads for these powders, so I won't go into much detail here. I use the Versalite wads the most, with Green Dot and Unique being the main powders for caps. I will use Promo and the Figure 8 wads for lighter 1 1/8 oz loads and TGT12 style wads for 1oz with Promo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what is a good handicap trap load