1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Good Gun for a Beginer

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by duffybear69, May 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duffybear69

duffybear69 TS Member

I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a good gun for a beginer. This would be a gun for my wife. I am looking for something that will not kick much, yet is still a little on the light side. Also she shoots left handed. Also I would like to spend not alot of money on the gun since I don't know if she will get the bug as bad as I have it.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

2. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Remington 1100 Classic TRap...relatively light, low recoil, changeable choke tubes, easy to clean and maintain. Others like Berettas, but Remingtons cost less and are equally effective - just my opinion based on experience. Best Regards, Ed

3. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Everyone starts with an 1100. And, for good reason. Jake

4. dverna

dverna Active Member

Beretta 3901 RL

Dpm

5. plumbguncrazy

plumbguncrazy TS Member

1100 seem to have shorter smaller stocks, maybe better for her maybe worse

6. calilori

calilori TS Member

I started with a Remington 1100. I'm a fairly small woman so I had the stock cut down, and it worked out great for me. The recoil was so little that it never bothered me at all. It's a great gun for a woman to start with. You can pick a used one up at a very reasonable price.

7. rmngtngrl

rmngtngrl TS Member

I agree with the 1100.... I have seen alot of women get beat up trying to use their Husbands/boyfriends/fathers gun....the 1100 is a great intro gun..and I believe if you look around you might find one that has a left handed reciever??

Be sure to check the pitch for her also...we women aren't made like men and need different pitch to the recoil pad sometimes....

Lori....are you ready for the State Shoot??? I have given Lisa some instructions for you for the Zone shoot too...hahhahahah Kym

8. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

I just bought a Beretta A303 20 gauge for my daughter.

Berettaman7

9. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

I don't know why people are looking at autos. It has alot of moving parts and alot of moving parts that that can break or jam. For a beginner who needs to learn safety before learning shooting I would start them with a single shot like a BT 99 or a BT 100. Its easy to see if its loaded or not. It takes one shell not two or three like the auto's. I have seen the autos jam and break on the line and seen people run to their cars for the backup gun IF THEY HAVE ONE. The BT's do have their problems but its rare and less then the auto's. Without rewritting all this any break open gun will do. If a O/U or a single shot.

10. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

I am not a small woman persay but still shot with several guns before settling in on the 1100. Although my SO has a Winchester 1400 that I love (also a semi auto) and a friend Dave has an 870 that he lovingly refers to as Frankenstein that I was able to shoot well. It's all about fit. If the gun doesn't fit well it will hurt and that will lessen the chances that your wife (or anyone for that matter) will want to shoot.

Luvn

11. BT99er

BT99er TS Member

Gargoyle- Why would you wonder why new shooters gravitate towards the 1100 rather than a BT, the simple answer would be for less FELT RECOIL SO THAT THE PERSON CAN ENJOY THE GAME!!!! rather than have a bad experience with felt recoil and never shoot another target!!!!!!!!!!

12. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have not shot an 1100, but have shot a bt 99. My 16 year old just got done shooting the 99 in the Idaho state shoot this weekend and never once complained about the recoil factor. I mite add that all 200 shots were with 3 dram top guns. I don't think that the recoil is that big of an issue with the 99. O by the way. The 99 is one sweat shooting gun to say the least. Not saying anything against the 1100, but in my opinion the 99 is hard to beat.

13. rmngtngrl

rmngtngrl TS Member

I Love BT-99's...Most of the kids that shoot with our SCTP program shoot BT-99's there is nothing wrong with them at all....I just think that most beginngers would like the less recoil of the 1100 (or other auto)...as for jamming and such...if you clean them and take care of them they should work just fine...plus a beginner is not going to go out and shoot 200 doubles in one day and by the time they are to that point they are ready for another gun anyway...

14. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

If you don't like recoil then you better find a different sport. As for recoil you can control it in a number of ways work on the shell speed, dead mules, pads and recoil butt plates. Safety first before comfort.

15. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Gargoyle!

You dont know Beretta 303´s, the best Beretta semi auto ever made, even better than the cheaper made modern versions of it, I have owned mine since 1990 and it has never jammed, not one hiccup, few moving parts, you may be talking about other brands.

This is a fine starter gun, suited for anyone and even gentler for a lady, a 20 gauge does not kick too much with 7/8 loads either. If duffybear69´s wife likes the sport then he can get her another gun, and move up to the 12 gauge.

Berettaman7

16. calilori

calilori TS Member

Hey Kym, Lisa hasn't given me any instructions but maybe that's because she kows that my daughter is being honored at a dinner in Davis the weekend of the zone shoot and I won't be able to shoot. Although the way it looks now I may be able to shoot on Saturday. I'll ask her about it!

17. Colonel Reb

Colonel Reb TS Member

1100 or BT99 would be equally good. I personally can not tell that the 1100 reduces recoil even though I know that it does. It just doesn't feel any softer to me than an 870 or BT99

18. rmngtngrl

rmngtngrl TS Member

Well congrats to your Daughter!!! I just told her not to let you say you were in the "Sucky Class" in singles!!!! Saturday is HAndicap and DOubles...See you at the State and I am bringing my picture of the broken target!!!! Oh yeah and the Margarita Machine!!!!!

19. calilori

calilori TS Member

I'll bring the midori...I prefer midori margaritas!!! I can hardly wait!!

20. JJM64

JJM64 TS Member

I also recommend the 1100, possibly in 20 ga., with the stock properly fitted. I shoot left-handed (left-eye dominant) and rarely if ever actually see the shells eject in my peripheral vision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.