1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Good desicion for a gunowner in NY

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by XP100, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

Heard on the news this morning NO charges will be filed against a woman that came home with her son last evening and found an intruder in her house. After a violent struggle she got her legal handgun and fired one fatal shot. Intruder was said to have no known criminal background with local police.

This was in Central NY. I am surprised at the ruling.

2. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

she had every right....he had her by the hair and assulting her.
    the media made sure you knew he had a history of mental illnes so the bleeding heart types won't feel left out. This happend only a few miles from my town.

I'm supprise no charges have been made...after all New York protects it's criminal and illegals, and treats them quite well.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity XP, why are you suprised at the ruling?

4. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Because it's in NY. I was suprised too. Bunch of liberal criminal lovers up here.

5. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

I am surprised the Liberal do-gooders didn't find something to chagre her with.

I am in NY and the pistol licenses in the county I am in are stamped LIMITED to Hunting and Target shooting.

You can't get a hand gun license for self or home defense.

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Forgive my ignorance, I didn't realize things were that upside down. I feel for you guys. Let me get this straight, you must have a 'license' just to own a handgun in NY? (not talking about a CCW permit)

I'm sure well all feel the same way about this, that gal gets a huge 'thumbs up' for taking care of the problem the way she did.

7. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

You need a Handgun license in NY and you have to carry concealed. The way she handled it was completely correct in my opinion. If she had not done what she did her and her son may both have been killed.
    If I were younger and not self employed I would be moving to another state.
    It took me 3 years to get the Hunting/target shooting restriction off my license. Now I can carry in my Business (gun shop). I carried before that but wanted to be legal.

8. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

The gene pool is a little cleaner. These people with "mental illnesses" that commited crimes, used to get stoned to death. Good for her. Wayne

9. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Most of you folks who read these threads regarding New York residents assume the worse. Upstate NY is a lot different than NY City. If we had our way, we would tow the City and Mayor Bloomberg out 20 miles into the Atlantic and scuttle it. Yes you need a pistol permit to legally own a handgun in NY state and it has been that way since 1921. It is almost impossible to get a permit in the city of NY. My wife and I just decided to get pistol permits about 6 months ago. We had them about 6 weeks after submitting the applications. On the line where it asks what you want a permit for, we both replied; Hunting, target shooting and personal protection. Just to let you know, upstate NY would be a different state, but we are outnumbered in votes by the NY City libs. Larry Evans

10. oldgahchamp

Sorry but I went a little crazy with my first reply. The Yankees are not included in the "scuttling". Larry

11. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Larry,

It's a little known fact that several issues with NY (State)Pistol Permits are decided by the sitting Judge of a particlular county. When the current Judge of Ontario County (NY)came into office, there was almost a year wait for a permit and he reassured me that he would get that process "back in line" to when his Father was the presiding Judge of the same County. In his opinion, nobody should have to wait a year....

When his Father took office way back when, an applicant used to have to go to a gun store, purchase a pistol and put it on lay-a-way, and then apply for a permit. If a permit was not granted the individual would have to have that gun store put the pistol back on the market usually as a "used" gun, thus a monetary loss to the applicant...Judge George A. Reed changed that ruling quickly so anyone could apply for a permit, and not have to "Own" a gun first..He claimed that to be a very stupid law set by his predicessors. We can be thankful that gun enthusiast, and former President of the Canandaigua Sportsmens Club Judge George Reed sat on the bench years ago, and implimented good changes in the laws.

Dave in SC (former NY)

12. oldgahchamp

Dave, Your neighbor, Judge F.R. signed our permits.. When they landed on his desk, he called Marna, who works for the DA and kidded her by saying we had a bunch of ding-a-lings for references. One was her Boss, a Prosecutor, and the other was a neighbor and member of Lima Gun Club who is a Defense Attorney. The only other obstacle is you have to get a coupon @$3 to buy a gun and the coupon is only good for 3 days. Still much better than neighboring Monroe County. Stay warm, Larry p.s. Over 200 in the IW Trap League so far.

13. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Look, Obama's contrived shortage of ammo may pay off soon!

"COLLEGE PARK, Georgia -23-year-old Calvin Lavant and Jamal Hill decided to perform a home invasion on an apartment where 10 people where attending a birthday party. Upon entering through a patio door, they demanded money and cell phones, while putting the men in one room and the women in another. The apartment owner, Christopher Bailey, said the gunmen started counting bullets. “The other guy as More..ked how many (bullets) he had. He said he had enough,” said Bailey. That’s not a real good sign. But luckily the two gunmen were unaware of the fact that the captives had something to even the playing field a bit. A gun of their own.

The gun was in a backpack, and after Lavant went to the bedroom where the women were being held, leaving Jamal to watch the men, a college student sprung into action and retrieved the firearm and began shooting at Jamal. Having the tables turned and finding himself facing the business end of a pistol, Jamal ran from the apartment. The student then went to the room where Lavant was holding the women and broke in.

“Apparently the guy was getting ready to rape his girlfriend. So he told the girls to get down and he started shooting ,” said Bailey.

Gunfire was exchanged, one of the women being hit multiple times (she’s gonna live) and Lavant escaped through a window. But he didn’t get far. Even though it turns out Lavant lived in the building next door, he never made it. He died from bullet wounds to the arm and face, saving taxpayers some money and society from suffering from any further trouble out of him. Bailey and the rest of the people that were terrorized by the two gunmen are thankful that the one student took action. “I think all of us are really cognizant of the fact that we could have all been killed,” said Bailey."

14. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Larry,

Fred is a good Judge, and friend of all of us sportsmen as well was his Dad.

It's nice to see Marna and you had goofy references...LOL

Staying warm down here...it's 72 this evening..unlike cold NY..LOL

Dave in SC

200 Inland Waters this season, I think that's a modern day record..Great !

Judy says hello too !!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.