1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Good deeds are never forgotten

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, May 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    My mother and I were talking about the time my father got hurt at work and he needed back surgery at the Mayo clinic in Rochester Minnesota. My dad took a train from Milwaukee to Minnesota by himself to have a spinal fusion which was a very difficult surgery back in 1960.

He spent one year in bed after the surgery, as he was unable to work. My mother scrubbed floors and I was a kid at that time and I cashed in soda water bottles and collected old newspapers and turned them in at a nearby junkyard for cash in order to help out while my dad was recuperating.

My father worked for the city of Milwaukee and after the work related injury happened the city attempted to get rid of my dad. The mayor of Milwaukee and an alderman helped my dad and he was able to keep his job.

My local church had an event one evening and planed for some of the Green Bay Packers to speak at our Catholic church. The price of a ticket was $2.00, but my mother could only afford enough to have just my younger brother go that evening to the event.

It was a rainy evening and my mom asked if I could walk my brother to the church and wait for him and walk him back home after the event ended.

Around 10 minutes before it started a car pulled up and a man opens the door and said kid are you coming in? I said I was waiting for my brother and I did not have the money to get in.

The man said your with me kid, and told the man taking tickets that I was with him. In 1960 the Packer players were gods to us kids here in Wisconsin. The man that let me come in with him sat me up on the stage right next to a few of the players that would speak to the crowd that evening.

I can still hear my younger brother yelling my name and telling his friends that his brother was sitting on stage with the Packers.

When the event was over I waited outside in the rain for my brother to come out so I could walk him home. It was raining, and the man that originally let me sit on stage, asked my brother and I if we needed a ride home?

We said we did and he took us home and walked us to the door. My mother was there to meet us and I told my mother what happened and this man introduced himself.

My mother invited him in for coffee and while there he asked if it would be alright if he met my dad. My mother walked upstairs to his bedroom and told him he had a visitor.

They talked around 10 minutes and then this man had to go. My mom asked my brother and I to walk this man to his car and she thanked him for being so kind to her children.

As my brother and I shook his hand and said thank you, he place a folded $50.00 bill in my hand and instructed me to give it to my mother for groceries. He than left and I never met him in person again.

I will never forget that man and what happened when I gave my mother the money, as she started crying. The sum of $50.00 was a huge amount back in 1960. Like I said in my opening title to this thread that good deeds are never forgotten.

The man that was so kind to a young boy and his family was known by football fans in the state of Wisconsin as just Vince. A few years later the football world would know him by the name of Vincent T. Lombardi, head coach of the world champion Green Bay Packers.

Like I said, good deeds are never forgotten.
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa, Wisconsin

2. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Thanks Steve, there are a lot of people out there like him and all of us could

be nicer to others . Helping others gives us that good feeling. Ken U

3. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Great Story!!!! Wish there were more like that to go around.

Chuck

4. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Wow what a great thing to do for a young man! great story Steve. Bill in mi

5. vdt

vdt Active Member

now that is the kind of story we love to here,thank you Steve

Victor Tomlinson
    Ontario
    Canada

6. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Great story Steve, thanks for sharing.

I too have had a "good deed" done for my family.

The year was 1936. Two years before I was born, but it affected me too.

In 1936 jobs were hard to come by. My Father would go to John Deere's in Waterloo every day just to sit in there employment office hoping to get hired.

It was winter and snow had fallen.

They came out and asked if anyone would like to make a little money shoveling snow.

My Dad said he would.

So......He is out shoveling snow and it is really pretty cold outside.

People start coming and going into work.

One man noticed my Dad shoveling snow.

The stranger noticed my Dad wasn't really dressed for the weather because he was wearing a light coat.

He asked my Dad if he needed a job that bad to be outside with just a light jacket on.

My Dad, of course said yes.

The stranger writes something on a piece of paper and tells my Dad to take it into Deere's employment office when he was done shoveling snow.

My Dad took that piece of paper into the office and handed to the man behind the desk.

They soon called his name and gave him a job.

My Dad ended up working for Deere's over 30 years and retired from there.

This also affected me, as I followed my Dad and retired from Deere's after 31 years of working.

The amazing part of this story...............At least to my way of thinking............My Father never read that note the stranger had handed to him. So I don't have a clue as to what it said.

Dad never saw the person again even though they were both working for the same company.

Hauxfan!

triathlonanimationgif.gif

7. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hauxfan:
    That is a great story. I was in the banking industry for roughly 40 years. During that time I worked for a few banks. Due to banks being bought out and sold and then were consolidated I was let go.

I remember one Christmas eve in particular not having a job selling Christmas trees at a local tree lot. One woman who I sold a tree to started talking to me and I told her that I was previously in banking.

Long story short, she worked for a bank and was the top person in the human resource department. She gave me her card and asked me to come and see her the day after Christmas.

She gave me a job that I eventually retired from. Years later, I asked her what made her help me? She said I saw you working at a low paying job attempting to make ends meet, and I had a hunch that you had a good work ethic. She also said that she saw a picture pinned to the shelter where she paid for the tree that was of me and my family.

Like she said, I just had a hunch and it paid off. Over the years, I have never forgotten both Mr. Lombardi and Miss Duchant's act of kindness. When I see people holding up signs looking for work I have often attempted to get them hired where I worked. Sometimes it pans out and sometimes it doesn't.
    Steve

8. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Good stories about how a little help and kindness can go a long ways

9. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Touching stories about one persons act of kindness to others. We all need to be more kind!

10. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

What a wonder memory and a terrific story!

11. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Great story, Steve.

There are some really good people in this world.

Hauxfan!

12. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Great story, thanks for posting it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.