1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

++++GOOD/BAD THINGS ABOUT A PERAZZI TM-1++++

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Raybren, Jun 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raybren

Raybren Member

I'm seriously considering buying an almost NIB 1998 highly engraved TM-1 Special. What are the good and bad points of these trap guns? Thanks, Ray

2. nameisjoe

nameisjoe TS Member

Terrible guns. I would like to buy the trigger in that gun tho.

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

If you pass on the deal let me know about it and if I buy it I will give you a finders fee. Bulge.

4. BL350

BL350 TS Member

Dear Ray,
    The TM-1 Special is one of the best singles shotguns ever made. Perazzi even chose to REINTRODUCE it....( TM-9 ). Bad Features? Do not know of any and I have owned one since 1989. NOTE: I thought the last ones made were around 1992 to 1993 vintage. Check the Square box stamped in the receiver for a two letter code. That is the Italian Proof stamp and can be readily associated with the calendar year. If the gun is a Perazzi engraved factory model and can be validated with a 34" barrel,....that gun will be worth some "coin of the realm" and will increase in value. Many of these TM-1's were engraved by almost everybody. Post a picture so we can enjoy.....Respectfully submitted,....Jet-X Boat Bill

5. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

It is a very good gun. The trigger is one of the nicest on the market. Check to see if it's a leaf spring or coil. I would prefer a coil. The only real drawback to this gun is the huge forearm. Most shooters I know like a more slim forearm. I actually like the giant tree trunk on the TM-1.

If you shoot it enough to get loose, there are plenty of smiths out there that can fix it right up.

See, not much of a down side to these.

Oh yeah, I just thought of one thing. The ejectors in the earlier models were a little delicate. I never had any trouble with mine, but I know of several that broke. Easy enough fix though.

6. Raybren

Raybren Member

Thanks for the info. Trigger has coil springs, factory engraved by Gobbi of Italy.

7. Raybren

Raybren Member

8. GW22

GW22 Active Member

A factory original TM-1 is a fantastic shotgun if properly maintained.

The only bad thing is that so many of them have been monkeyed around with by misguided "gunsmiths."

-Gary

9. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

SSTG,

Avoid at all costs! Buy yourself a nice Remington 1100.

PM the phone number of the guy that's selling it PLEASE!

10. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

The bad news is that you will have no rational excuse of any kind to ever get another single barrel.

But that's OK since there are so many different use/needs for doubles that you can get a pile of them and not repeat yourself.

HTH

Charlie

11. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I have shot 2 TM 1s for the 300,000+ sgls.& hdcp. targets I have registered. The only mechanical change was suggested by Giacomo. He shortened the 2 ejector springs to save the the ejector. I have never broken anything on these 2 guns. I have had locking bolts and top levers replaced over the years. All work on the guns and an annual check up has been done by Giacomo. If you are not familiar, Giacomo worked with Danielle Perazzi in designing the TM-1, he imigrated to the US in the 80's and when Perazzi USA moved to Califormia, Giacomo stayed in New York and started his own Perazzi repair facility.

12. Raybren

Raybren Member

John,
    Thanks for your valuable input!! Ray

13. Raybren

Raybren Member

Thanks to everyone for your positive input on a tm1!! Ray

14. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I have 2 & a TMX. The things to look for are a taper rib & factory chokes if you like choke tubes. I prefer the leaf trigger as it can be set up down to under 2#. Watch out for fat fore-ends. I had one & had it cut down to the small dimentions,refinished & recheckered. Have shot one for 25 yrs now & think it one of the best single bbls going if you like a low rib. TMX for a bit higher rib. And have Tom Wilkinson work the bbl. 2 of my 3 are that way,what a difference. Buy the gun,you will love it. Esp if nobody has messed with it,ie cut stocks,adj comb,porting.

15. porky

porky TS Member

What model did they stop making certain parts for?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.