1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

GOOD 16 YD. RECIPE?????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pull-it!, Jun 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

I have Clay Dot powder and Clays powder, Tons of Claybuster 1-1/8 oz. wads, #8 shot, and about 2000 Federal, 2000 Remington STS, 2000 Remington Gun Clubs,
    2000 Winchester AA, and about 4000 Fiocchi Target hulls. Ready to put them on my Mec 9000G Anybody got any ideas on which components they would put together if it were their recipe?

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Use about 17.5g CLAYS in the Reminton hulls with 1 Oz of shot in a Down Range TGT12 wad.

3. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Stick with the STS`s and Gun club hulls . Give the others away or trade them off . Load light loads and you`ll be fine but I have no idea what grains to use with Clay Dot ?

4. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

I would like to use up all of these claybuster wads! anybody got a good recipe using Clay Buster with the other components I named in the original post?

5. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Use up the 1 1/8 oz. Claybuster wads to load 1 oz. in STS or Gun Clubs; ~17 to 17.5 gr. of Clays and #8 shot; worked great...this is the load I used to get rid of C-B before going to Downrange. Crimps were okay and the pressure is low. Regards, Ed

6. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

32 bushing in your MEC (should be right at 17 gns), 1 oz shot, CB wad, remington hull.

Ducks

7. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Pull-it!

Claybuster makes a variety of DIFFERENT 1 1/8 oz wads. Some are best for straight walled hulls like your Federal and Fiocchis. Others are designed for tapered hulls including your STS, Gun Clubs, and AA. Since you didn't specify WHICH Claybuster(s) you have, it's a bit tough for anyone to make a suggestion.

sissy

PS: I've shot a box car load of Claybuster wads since they first appeared on the market 20 plus years ago. Reloads using Claybuster wads have resulted in a "beginner" like me having AA27AA annual averages more than once.

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Claybuster's AA clone is terrific in the STS. If your AAs are original AAs - ditto... if your Claybuster Wads are the AA variety.

A light drop of Clays powder @16 gr +/- using a Winchester 209 primer...

Light and tight... that's the ticket!

Jay

9. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

My choice would be a different powder for the 1 1/8 oz loads in the tapered hulls, unless you load on the light side. Great powders for reasonable 7/8 and 1 oz loads, but not so much for heavier 1 1/8. Might be OK in a straight tube like the Federal Gold Medals. I'd look at the powder manufacturer's data and select a load under 10,000 PSI, weigh (check) my drops, and have a go at it. I would think twice about any component substitutions, particularly primers. If you have any questions, contact the powder manufacturer for their take on it.

10. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

Claybuster wads are junk? Well excuse me!!

11. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

The wads are CB2118-12 I got a whole case given to me with my reloader and just wanted to use them up for some 16 yd targets!

12. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Pull-it!

Your wads are Claybuster's clones of the Federal 12S3. They're designed for straight walled hulls like Federal plastic Gold Medals, Federal papers, and Fiocchi's. They are not nearly as good for the tapered hulls.

Hodgdon Powder Company's online loader's guide lists a bunch of 1 1/8 oz. loads for Federal Plastic Gold Medals, Federal papers, and Fiocchi's using 12S3 wads (or clones like the CB2118-12) with Clays powder. You didn't specify which primers you're using but the Hodgdon data covers about all of them.

Pick one of the listed loads with a velocity of about 1145 fps and you're good to go.

Happy shooting!

sissy

PS: Clay Dot is an Alliant product that was created to be a direct replacement (by weight) for Clays. You can safely substitute Clay Dot for any load on the Hodgdon site that specifies Clays powder.

13. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Most important thing is to use published data. I use nothing but Remington hulls. Dowrange wads. The powders I use are Claydot & Greedot. But the most important thing is a good scale. I use an old RCBS 1010 & have a complete set of check weights. I check the throws with each new 8 lb jug of powder. I get 17.4 gr with a 31 Mec bushing using Claydot on a Mec 650, in an air-conditioned reloading room. Check your weights with your own scale. Safety before cost.

Phil Berkowitz

14. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Yes, check your loads with a powder scale. I just opened a new 8# jug of Clays. The powder drop from the previous jug gave ~17.2 gr with my MEC #31 powder bushing; the new powder gives 16.5 gr with the #31 bushing. Regards, Ed

15. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I agree, claybuster wads are junk and will never see the flight down the barrel of my gun.

16. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

What makes the claybuster wad that much different from other wads that you would consider it to be junk?

17. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Pull-it
    I think CB was are made from cheaper recycled plastic. In my experience, they seem to deposit excessive plastic material in the choke with is a pain to clean. Otherwise, I do not know of any of my many lost birds that I attribute to the CB wad.

John

18. batman1004

batman1004 TS Member

A wad is a wad shot 50.000 clay buster wads but havn't reloaded for 8-10 yrs I couldn't see any difference in AA FED REM products except the price so what is wrong with CB wads geo 3 hell when I was a kid we picked up wads at the range washed them and ran 100 st. at singles that that was in early 70s

19. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I have done a lot of patterning & chrono work with Clays in AA/STS hulls. I like about 16.2 or 16.3 with the Rem TGT green wad & 1 oz. This runs about 1150-1180. For 7/8 oz just change to the AA gray wad. Nothing else. That will chrono about 1180-1200. This proves true in evrything from Perazzis to M-12 to 1100 to 870's. I find that about 16.8 is best with 1 1/8 & use Rem Fig 8. The patterns on paper are always impressive with the 1 oz & 7/8. You really don't need more powder than you think.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.