1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Goober on the trap field.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smokerz, Dec 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smokerz

smokerz TS Member

After we finished a round today, a guy and his son (maybe 11 or 12 years old) walked up and asked if they could have the field for a bit. "Sure", we said, "go to it."

The kid had an 870 pump, which he loaded four shells into, the gun pointed at the club house while he was loading. Dad then placed him about halfway between the 16 yd line and the trap , and he started banging away. After each 4 shots, he'd walk back to a bench, and load 4 more, gun pointed at the club house. Neither Dad nor son had eye or hearing protection.

I didn't think it was my place to correct them, so I asked the club manger to watch what they were doing. He intervened, and explained a few basics: Load only on station, one shell at a time, shoot only from a station, keep gun pointed downrange, wear shooting glasses, which he provided.

Dad objected, saying neither he or kid liked glasses. Club manager told him put them on or leave.

Dad got PO'd, and they left.

2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Next time they come back tell them they must watch this.

3. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Safety First. Better than a lawsuit from an injury. Club manager did right thing.

4. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

stokinpls:

So what does a paid advertisment from Hill Billery have to do with wearing saftey glasses by the way I sure hope she won't be in charge the next time.

Ok I get it maybe they will follow orders so they won't have to watch the video a sencond time.

Ok im a slow learner.

I sure hope you didn't mean it to be true.

Foggy

5. bgf

bgf Active Member

smokerz,

It is EVERY ONES responsibility to watch for range safety and address it NOW.

That being said, the club sure has some loose rules. Every new person that comes to our club must sign a Safety and Rules sheet...read and understood. NO EXCEPTIONS. If they get pissy...bye bye. Newbies are observed until our range master is satisfied.

Bernie

6. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Same old story....Father wants so bad to help and impress the kid....he forgets safety{if,in fact, he himself ever knew}!

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I tasted vomit after I watched that cheezy video.

8. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I am sorry but you correct the situation NOW not later when you go find the manager. By then someone, maybe you, could have hole in him. Gun safety is EVERYONE's business all the time.

Smoker; Typical liberal let someone else do the dirty work.

Don

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

I think the management did make a mistake. The basic safety rules should have been explained before the young man went out and fired the first shot.

Pat Ireland

10. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

Suprise, Suprise. Sounds like Gomer was watching till Andy was called and stepped in. I've never had the opportunity to do it, but my cousin would've stood right behind them making sure nothing like this happened.

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

smokerz,

Safety is everybody's responibility. Yours too. You should have stepped up. Its not easy, but it is sometimes necessary.

If you're just a member, and they question your authority, then go get the manager.

You KNOW, if there had been an accident (though unlikely) and the kid loses an eye or whatever, some lawyer would be all over it claiming the club didn't enforce their own rules.

We can't have that.

As a rule, most clubs have a super safety record. When you see folks doing things like this, remind them of that record, and that its everyone's responsibility to follow the rules to maintain that safety record.

Clubs can post the safety rules a million places, and some folks will never read them.

12. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

No newbies get the run of the range. Unless its watched over by RSO. no one shoots anywhere but the dedicated positions. All trap rules apply 1 shell/singles 2/doubles. We have a seperate pattern area. I would be CRAZY if I seen this for myself. All our members are range safty officers, We then have a cheif range safty officer to put to those who disagree. You all screwed up on that one. As Pat Ireland noted.

13. Pukey Stagg

Pukey Stagg TS Member

However he did it smokerz got it stopped didn't he, so get off his ass. There were probably others there who ignored it completely.

Pukey

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Pat Ireland, quote: "I think the management did make a mistake. The basic safety rules should have been explained before the young man went out and fired the first shot."

I'm amazed how club management, workers and members just sit back and watch newbies go out and make asses of themselves instead of getting off their asses and making sure they know the rules and helping them to be safe and have a good time, or at least informing the management.

I sometimes think some trapshooters almost wish newbies would foul up and get booted or leave, just so theyhave that many less people on "their" field.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.