1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Gonna try 7/8 ounce 700X loads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tripod, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Should a person shoot for the same velocity or as I have heard speed up the smaller shot charge? What do you 7/8 shooters do?

2. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

I shoot 7/8 oz. and a # 28 Mec. bushing w/700X works fine. Don't think you'll ever look back. Jim W

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Adjust the speed so it works well with your move to the bird. HMB

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I load them at the same speed unless I am loading them for games and then I shoot them fast. The nice thing is that you can have speed and low recoil. I prefer speed and about the only way I can handle it is with lighter shells. Jeff

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Depends on what "the same speed" is. if you're getting along with 1100fps, 1 1/8 oz loads, you'll find it nearly impossible to load 7/8 oz that slow and it certainly won't be reliably consistent either. Try this; leave the powder drop exactly the same as you've been loading in 1 1/8 oz or 1 oz loads and just change the shot drop and appropriate wad. This will naturally speed up the velocity since there is less weight in the shot charge. It is pretty well accepted that in order to get a consistent powder burn, internal pressure, and velocity, light loads of shot need to be a little fast.

Another rule of thumb is 2 3/4 dram equivalent loads have these velocities: 1 1/8 oz = 1145 fps - - 1 oz = 1180 fps - - 7/8 oz loads = 1215 fps. In 3 dram loads the velocities would be 1200, 1235, and 1270 in the same order. I've certainly found that reducing the shot charge will do all you want in recoil reduction and economy of the lead shot but also reducing the velocity at the same time is a bad move due to loss of internal pressure and consistency....breakemall....Bob Dodd

6. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

Bob Dodd forgot to proof read his comment. -- it's 2 3/4 dram, 1 1/8 = 1145 fps.

Tom

7. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I will stick with the same bushing for a trial.

8. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

NEVER trust a bushing. A scaled charge and a published recipe is the only safe way to load!!!! Jeff

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Dang, need some tri-focals I guess. I'll correct it....Bob Dodd

10. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

I second what bigbore said. I have loaded 7/8 with 700x and found that 16.5 grs. was a very fast soft shooting good paterning target crushing load!

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Only one way to tell, 2str8, with a good and reliable scale - use it....Bob Dodd

12. woodie

woodie TS Member

I have been working on a 7/8 load using 700x. I started with 16 grs 700x, Claybuster Lightning wad and a Winchester 209 primer, a lot of unburned powder in the barrel. Stepped up load to 16.5, same results.Went to 17 grs, not much better. Changed to Federal 209a with 17.5 grs and now have a much cleaner load. Chrono 1290 thru full choke Super x1. I am loading sts hulls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.