1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

gonna melt lead for first time any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bowhunting11, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

I always got My lead premelted. Im gonna melt today. any tips. I know to be careful. Dont stand over it when sweating. Wear all protectio. anytging else?

2. notenoughguns

notenoughguns Member

Preheat your ladle or dipper before putting it in the molten metal / flux often , sawdust/wax/oil/or any carbon based material . Take your time and have fun .

DAN

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Make sure it is dry. Do it in a well ventilated area. HMB

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Safety glasses.

Ventilation. If you decide it isn't adequate, yes, you can get a filter mask. However, it has to be one for radon daughters, because antimony oxide is so small that's the only effective filter. And because it clogs easily from ordinary dust, you need a prefilter on the filter. I only wore one when I was processing large amounts of lead in a natural gas furnace. Never bothered when using a small electric bullet casting pot. Still, if you're curious, that's what it takes for a filter.

Watch for pinkish or white "dust" on the surface of the molten lead. If you see that the heat is too high. The white dust is antimony oxide and that ain't good to breathe. I dunno why the greenies get upset over lead casting when it's what's in the lead alloy that's the problem.

Treat all metal as hot.

If you're into S&M, be sure to use the wife's good silverware to dip the dross off the top.

Clothing. Don't wear anything with nylon or polyester. They melt. Wear cotton or wool. Better yet, go get a lightweight welders jacket. These are treated cotton. They will not burn nor burn through, though you can still get heat burns. But you can also shake most of the splash off of them. I wore a set while casting model railroad parts in bulk.

Checked your fire extinguishers laterly to make sure they've held their charge? And put one near you. Molten lead is hotter than the combustion temp of paper and wood.

5. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Invest in a good casting thermometer. By insuring you never get your melting alloy above 650 deg F, you will never accidentally melt a zinc wheel weight. Once you have ruined a 60 pound pot of lead with a 3 ounce wheel weight, that $20 thermometer is going to seem pretty cheap right about then.

JK

6. Brian in Oregon

He means pre-cast into ingots.

BTW, if you are using a bullet mould, don't be frustrated if the first few bullets are deformed, because they are cold. The mould needs to heat up. For some moulds I'll set them into the molten lead for a minute or so to preheat them. If the bullets are frosted looking, the lead and mould are getting too hot. Also, a hot mould may not fully close, and may leave a visible flash seam on the bullet.

7. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

Another question.I have a Turkey fryer and there is no ignition thing so I turn the propain om low and take a match and put it by the burner right?

8. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Turkey fryer?

Might want to have someone take a video of what you are doing, so you can post it on You Tube, America's Funniest Home Videos and Tru TV.

The video will also help with any questions the fire department, rescue, hospital, police and insurance adjuster has later.

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I thought from this previous post you were all set up and running??

"Buy or build a shotmaker.. Its one of the easier projects out there, im 15 an I built one and bought one, my machine was paid off im the first run I had, plus I made money too and had shot left over for me to use. I pay about 10cents a pounf for shot now adays"

I still stick to some of my original statements that this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

10. hoot619

hoot619 Member

Bowhunting11 how do you fill your molds for 7 1/2 shot must have a good eye not to over fill them! Hell lighting it is easy turn gas on full light match and when the damn thing ignites you will know it. I just lit the grill for the wife hair on arms a little singed my beard is ok. Ken U

11. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

just melted 250 pounds successfully! And my machine is up and running. I had somone melt lead for me.

12. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

Its not a Turkey fryer its just the base and burner I put a stainless steel pot on top to melt the lead in. anyone laughing, Im laughing cause nobody everthinks I can do it but yet I do and i'm making shot for under 2 cents a pound. Watcha guys paying for brand new? 1.50?????? Yea hahahaha

13. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

How to melt scrap lead:

Get a plumber's pot (holds 50 to 75 pounds of lead & runs off of 20# propane tank). See link above.

Do it outside and stay up wind.

Skim off the junk and ladel into 2 to 5 pound ingots.

Jim Skeel

14. craby boy

craby boy TS Member

Never liked melting lead shoot half as much stay alive a liitle longer

Craby

15. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

For under .02 a pound? And the moon is made of Blue Cheese.

16. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

Sorry ment .20.

17. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

Have fun and stay safe bowhunting11.

Illegitimi non carborundum.

18. Brian in Oregon

Do yourself a BIG favor and get a bottom pour electric lead pot. Lee makes a decent one at a budget price. Then you can more easily process the lead ingots and cast your bullets.

Lee Production Pot $54 at Cabelas

19. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

I use a turkey fryer with a cast iron pot. I get about 30-40pds in there at a time. your on the right track I made my first shot for .25 a pound too but prices jumped, I do alot of swaps. I do require 200pd minimum to fire up my equiptment, so basically mine is free cept some time.

Jerry

20. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

Yes, my suggestion: Don't do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.