1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Golfing with shotguns

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Itchyb, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Itchyb

Itchyb TS Member

Cool article on Fox this morning with none other than Steve Carmichael showing off the sporting clays course in Vegas. Short one minute video.

2. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

If they were shooting at golf balls or something like that I could agree with the title. But riding around in golf carts is not golfing with guns. Nice place I will add and good + reporting.

3. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Used to be a common phrase in the early days of sporting shooting.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Actually have played a game like golfing with shotguns. We used range balls and the driver was a shotgun - throw the ball up in the air and nail it and a good square hit would take the ball 50 or more yards down range. Then a .22 rifle was used as the iron and you shot at the ball to get it further down range. Finally a .22 pistol was use to 'putt' the ball into the cup area.

There may have been a few beers involved - kind fuzzy on that.

5. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Cool looking range

Wolfram we used to do the same thing, I think my par for a hole was a box of .22 LR, maybe more, you don't want to hit them too square they will really travel if you do

6. KennyRay

KennyRay Active Member

The earliest I've come across a like term was 1913. Edward Cave wrote a couple of articles entitled "Clay Bird Golf" and "Modified Clay Bird Golf."

A 1914 Milwaukee newspaper reported on it as follows:

"Clay-bird golf is a new sort of game that will appeal to the business man who wants to exercise and likes to shoot, but who finds the wholesale slaughter of birds repugnant. The game is played on a stretch of rough land, similar in extent and irregularity to the average golf course; but instead of holes there are traps concealed at varying intervals along the course. As gunners tramp over the ground clay birds of different shapes and sizes are released from the traps, so that the sportsmen get the same kind of unexpected shots that live wild birds would offer in their natural haunts."

We were shooting sporting clays in America long before the reported introduction in 1980. Originally it was called Walk Up and I've found walk-up events all the way back in 1884.

I've found a 5-Stand setup in 1899 in Detroit, Michigan; tower shooting at Pinehurst GC in 1903; quail walks in 1905; incomers at New London, CT in 1892 and a small sporting clays course setup in New Jersey in 1916.

The name Sporting, Hunters' Clays and Sporting Clays may be new to us but novelty shots have been constructed and shot in the U.S. for more than 130 years.

Kenny Ray Estes
    Pittsgrove, NJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.