1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Golf is suffering from decline...also

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by PNT, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PNT

PNT Member

Quotes from above site/article

The total number of people who play has declined or remained flat each year since 2000, dropping to about 26 million from 30 million, according to the National Golf Foundation and the Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association.

More troubling to golf boosters, the number of people who play 25 times a year or more fell to 4.6 million in 2005 from 6.9 million in 2000, a loss of about a third.

The industry now counts its core players as those who golf eight or more times a year. That number, too, has fallen, but more slowly: to 15 million in 2006 from 17.7 million in 2000, according to the National Golf Foundation.

Jim Kass, the research director of the National Golf Foundation, an industry group, said the gradual but prolonged slump in golf has defied the adage, “Once a golfer, always a golfer.” About three million golfers quit playing each year, and slightly fewer than that have been picking it up. A two-year campaign by the foundation to bring new players into the game, he said, “hasn’t shown much in the way of results.”

The disappearance of golfers over the past several years is part of a broader decline in outdoor activities — including tennis, swimming, hiking, biking and downhill skiing — according to a number of academic and recreation industry studies.

2. tad houston

tad houston TS Member

Well I know that I personally have cut way back on the amount of golf I am playing. But that started when I took up Trap last year....

3. chessney

chessney TS Member

Well thats good news about the decline in golfers.If they could make the high handicappers stay at home it would be even greater. I play at least 3 times a week.The weekend golfers that make a four hour round into a six hour socal gathering should have to pass a golf exam to play!..Ziggy

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Ziggy I agree, I am not a very good player got down to a 12handicap in my best years, Our local home town course used to be a 3 1/2 sunday walk. short course it is, but no reason for the 5+ hours it now takes to play 18 there. This has gone on for many years.

5. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

I am one of those that just do not have time enough to do what I used to do on a regular basis. I played a lot of golf in the past, four to five rounds a week, had time to shoot some trap, and train some darn good retrievers, then it seemed like it took more time to make a decent living, then even more time. I beleive it is the fact that there are more self employed like myself that had more time when we worked for a wage that keeps us out of the time consuming outdoor sports. I am down to a couple 9 hole rounds a week, and trap on Sunday, and one or two ATA shoots per year. Chessney, you are right I cannot afford to play a 6 hour round of golf, it has gotten really bad.
    Go Well
    Wayne

6. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

What I don't like about golf is that no matter how hard I hit the golf ball, it doesn't break.

7. tomk2

tomk2 Member

I haven't golfed since I realized you can drink beer without chasing a little white ball all over the place.

8. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

A big part of the problem has to do with the over-growth of golf courses in the 80's and 90's. Everywhere you turned, there was a new golf course, a housing development that included a golf course, and local governments building golf courses, all trying to get in on the action.

They also underpriced the product in an attempt to cash in on the sport. Most heavily mortgaged the courses, and when the expected boom didn't happen, lost big time.

This isn't just a problem in 2008. There were many out there who said the boom would never last. Add to that, the fact that disposable income for all leisure activities is down some, and you have, at least, part of the answer.

Best,
    Dennis

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

The beancounters must have put their feet down concerning customer golf. During my working days I spent more time playing customer golf than working. I paid for the game and the customer won. I always played as bad or a little worse than the customer, and paid for the 19th hole, as well. Since I retired (6 years) I have not picked up a Golf Club. There's s no one to pay for playing now, except me!!!

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

The decline in golf is due to the many good scores that are being shot. If they made golf courses more difficult, producing declining scores, more people would play golf and bet more money when they play.

Pat Ireland

11. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

It isn't only hunting and shooting that are declining. Americans are fatter and lazier than ever. Where I live I have seen more than half of the camping grounds close down in the last few decades. Fishing is declining. Bowling alleys have closed. Tennis courts that were full years ago are now empty. On and on. As a society we have become fat and lazy. What is more popular is watching television, playing video games and eating out. Those are the only activities that I know of that have grown.

12. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Ok Pat, Was that a shotgun blast or a rifle shot to a particular target?

Jim

13. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

The other thing that happened is that the equipment technology has run the shorter courses out of business. In the 80's, you could put an average golfer on a 6,000-yard course, and he could not shoot out the lights.

Look at the pros. They "grip it and rip it" (John Daly), and have ceased to be shot makers. Despite physical improvements in the pros bodies, the equipment, especially drivers and balls, has made older courses obsolete. Now, they play on 7,500 yard courses and shoot ten under. On a 400 yard, par four, they shoot driver-wedge, maybe three wood-nine. That is not golf. Try putting the four-, or three iron back in their hands.

Granted, what wins on Sunday sells on Monday (true for golf and NASCAR), makes it difficult to rein in the equipment. But, if you put persimmon drivers, forged irons, and balata balls back in the pro game, you would find out very quickly, who the best golfers really were.

Best,
    Dennis

14. ArmyMechanic

ArmyMechanic Member

well since there is a decline in golf courses, shame some cant be turned into nice sporting clays courses, with adjacent trap fields and go go dancers at every station to test your concentration levels... or give a happy finish...lol

15. starship

starship TS Member

I also played a lot of golf in the past but after a while I realized that I had a recurring problem that I didn't seem to be able to cure.....

I was always standing to close to the ball ...... after I hit it.

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Well, since golf numbers have fallen dramatically to a mere 26 million, we can now declare golf to be an obsolete sport that should be done away with, and the courses turned into golf-free parks.<br>
    <br>
    At least that's the mentality of Sarah Brady, HSUS, PETA, et al.

17. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Back in 1994 I had to start making a tee time to play on Sun. afternoon at the club I had been a member at for about 12 yrs. Previous to that I could walk on and play pretty much whenever I wanted. Bye bye golf. Hello trap. Just seems to me that around that point in time that there was an influx of aholes entering the game. And the course owners were all too willing to accept their money. BTW, I was a 6.

18. chessney

chessney TS Member

With the appearnce of Tiger in a tour event.The veiwer ratings on tv are threw the roof. This guy brought golf back from any slumping trend that you talk about.To insinuate that more people would play if they made the courses harder is totally off the wall. I think that fresher bait might catch a bigger one?.....Ziggy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.