1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Golf Carts

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by ArmyMechanic, Aug 30, 2013.

1. ArmyMechanic

ArmyMechanic Member

Ok guys wondering weather its worth it to get my own golf cart for the bigger shoots VS renting one there. Any information (pros/cons) would be appreciated

2. smokintom

smokintom Well-Known Member

You just need to do the math.Cost of owning one and upkeep vs renting one.How many times a year are you going to use it?Is buying going to be justified and they are fun to own too.Not that hard to figure out.

3. GROCERY GUY

GROCERY GUY Member

Made ours street legal. Never been sorry. Glenn Allison

4. ArmyMechanic

ArmyMechanic Member

So which brand has more options? EZ Go or club car?

5. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

If its gas, go with Yamaha.

Phil Berkowitz

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

first figure out cost of cart and maintenance for the year, then add cost of trailer and its maintenance for the year. Where are you going to store the trailer and cart for the year. Now add 40% more fuel cost to all clubs you plan to take your cart too. Remember your need a big van, pick-up or large SUV to tow with. Then after towing this cart for 3 years or so on a regular basis, you can figure in a new, or re-built transmission for the tow vehicle. Now you have all the stats, so you can figure if its the way you want to go. Good Luck and break em all. Jeff

7. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Been debating this myself. Bought a motorhome but tow my little car behind and need the car for my wife's shopping or sightseeing on a trip - so if I buy a used cart for $4k+ I need a long bed truck I can flat tow with the cart in the bed. Now I'm into the truck for $15k or more, the cart for $4k, a new tow bar and won't be able to use one side of my garage cause that's where the cart will go, will have an extra car (the truck) to deal with too. I picked up a rental cart, 4 passenger, top and a windshield at Cardinal on Monday afternoon - turned it in the following Sunday evening - cost me $194 and change. I did that all three shoots. My wife helped me come to my senses today. We plan on Cardinal, Linn Creek and maybe Elysburg - rentals available. It's a no brainer. Unless you just have to have that big shiny jacked up EZ-Go it's a waste of money. I can buy a whole lot of diesel for what that toy would cost.

8. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Jeff it sure sounds like you drive GM vehicles. A new tranny after 3 years of pulling a golf cart around a few times a year. For the rest of us that drive thousands of miles a year towing bigger things than a golf cart a tranny is not in the equation. If the shoots you attend are more than two days buy your own cart and you won't be sorry. Buy a gas cart and forget about charging batteries and having to replace them down the road.

9. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Bought a used EZ-Go electric cart a couple years ago. Batteries were a couple years old. Paid $2500 for it from Ron Cooley in Florida. Its been great fun and I use it almost daily to run my dog, Jojo. (Pit Bull) I'm way to old and fat to give her enough running without it! I take it to a few shoots and so far no issues, I put a light kit on it last year when the local sheriff caught me running the dog in the evening with no lights...I live in the boonies...he said get some lights...OK. It's not a fancy cart, it came from a golf course in Georgia, still has their logo on it. I keep the charger on it all the time (automatic) and make sure the batteries are full.

Bob

10. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Some rental Co's. sell off used ones at the end of the year if you want to go cheap.

If you have a good eye and have some mechanical skills, you can find a good one.

Regards....Gerald

11. ArmyMechanic

ArmyMechanic Member

Thanks guys. appreciate the info! Gonna buy one. Been using my Tahoe for for 8 years towing everything under the sun so thats not gonna be an issue :)

Thanks for your help!

HT

12. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

I'm not sure it's a matter of economics. It's probably more a matter of convenience and comfort.

Before I bought a cart, we used to rent one. We had gun racks attached to boards that we attached to the cart. Of course it depends on what kind of cart you can rent. If it's a clays cart, they usually have an ammo rack mouted up front and a back seat.

If it's just a golf cart, it's not quite as convenient.

I have an '06 EZGO electric on which I installed heavier springs and a back seat that flips down to make a carry shelf about 4 ft square.

I have 4 gun racks on it plus an ammo shelf at the front. When we go to a shoot we load everything onto the cart for the day...ammo, hydration, guns, clothing, tool kit, snacks and anything else that seems appropriate.

If it's a two or three day shoot, we just load the cart into my enclosed trailer and leave everything where it is.Most shoots provide secure storage for carts over night.

I can usually make it through 3 days without a recharge. If I need one, I have two options. I carry a small generator that will re-charge the cart over night. I also carry extension cords in my cart to allow me to plug in up to 100 yards from a duplex receptacle. Usually there is someone camping that I know who will allow a plug in if need be.

The electric is smooth and quiet, and extremely powerful. I just added a gizmo called a de-sulfinator that seems to add extra life to a charge.

I also use my cart to move targets at the club, drag machines and enclosures around and get to remote traps on our 5 stand which I run.

I trailer my cart back and forth to Florida from Barrie ON. It makes no economic sense, but it sure is convenient.

If I were doing it again, I might think about a Gunbuggy which uses 12 volt batteries in series rather than 6 volt. I suspect they run even longer.

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Bad, No!!! Its was a "Ford" and it was pulling a boat. Now the Chevy took 8 years with the same boat. I also had a buddy who did his Ford Explorer in about 3 years pulling a enclosed trailer with his Harley to a couple of places within the state,but mostly hauling shooting related items to alot of Clay target shoots (across several states)when he was based in Tenn. A Golf cart on a trailer weighs more than my friends Shooting trailer. But now that he says he has the Tahoe, that's a different story. That's like a short Suburban which is like the best towing SUV out there. For me I would have to tow the Cart l hr. each way to the closest club while the others would be two at l l/2 hrs and one other at 2 hrs away for each way on my full size chevy van. AT 14 l/2 mpg in city not towing, is like l0 or 11 mpg a gallon on hwy towing. The closest club one hr each way would be like $30 for gas alone for the shoot. My wife's car can do the same trip for $10. So I can rent the cart anytime I like just for the difference in fuel. Now if he wants a cart, he wants one. Oh Yeh, I did forget about insurance and tag cost every year for the trailer, just like my boat. But he's still going to get a cart. LOL. break em all. Jeff

14. jdhog

jdhog Member

Looking at them as well , so elec or gas whats the pros... cons ///
    Thanks
    jdhog