1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Golf Cart Use at Grand?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by pw1, Jul 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pw1

pw1 TS Member

I read something the other day that made it sound like they have cracked down on the use of Golf Carts at the Grand. I was by the facility in May before the first grand at Sparta and since I have a problem walking and standing the golf cart is my only way to get around for much distance.
    My question is would I be able to use the golf cart enough to make it an enjoyable trip.
    I realize that there were a lot of trouble with carts the first year and I knew they would have to crack down on them but I'm not sure how much they cracked down.

2. setter

setter Member

You can use your cart with the proper registration most everywhere - not on Cardinal Road, not on walkways, not on the fields. You can drive the cart to the field.

3. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Other than H capped folks (old and lame included) I think they ought to be banned....running for cover now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Better hide Frank....I got lamblasted quite awhile ago because the use of motorized vehicles should only be allowed for the truly handicapped....not the fat and lazy (who need the exercise anyway).

Curt

5. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

pw1,

We rented a cart at last year's Grand because my sons and I had to be at different parts of the facility at the same time. This year we won't need one, as we'll be together, so just our car will accomodate all.

Driving your car to your trap is just as convenient as driving a golf cart, plus your vehicle likely has A/C and a radio. A cart works for those with motor homes without a tow car, or those in a group who neeed to be at different locations on the faccility.

Reserve yours early if renting. Basically the carts get you no closer than a car can.

Guy Babin

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I just received the Grand program. It says you may drive your own cart. But, there are some rules. Like $500,000 in insurance!!!!! Among a few others.

7. ljutic05

ljutic05 Member

Golf carts are ok to use in Sparta, and are very nice to have when you get there. You don't have to get in your hot car to move from point A to point B. You can park closer to you destination in a golf cart than in a car (such as driving your gun and shells very close to the trap line when it's your time to shoot). The only requirement to bringing your own is that you must have a minimum of $500,000 liability insurance on it and provide proof of insurance to the ATA when you register it to be on the grounds (which is required). They provide you a sticker showing that you have authorization. No ATV's or other units which "you straddle" are allowed.

Sparta is not the only place now requiring insurance on your golf cart. Missouri, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Alabama and Florida also require your golf cart be insured. If you need insurance, I'll be happy to provide you a quote.

Shoot well!

Diana Crawford, CPCU, AIS
    ACE Insurance Services, Inc.
    (800) 887-9869

8. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

I have my insurance thru Diana, she takes thr guess work out of it and is reasonable also.
    John Ohio

9. Seitz Shooter

Seitz Shooter Member

The golf cart speeding, cutting across the grass, ignoring stop signs, ignoring the no carts past this sign, etc. problem at Vandalia is now at Sparta.

Adios, Dirk

10. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

You know it Dirk!!!!!!
    Point to ponder per Diana....."you don't have to get into a hot car"

Hell I lived in the A/C'd car for a WEEK out there last yr. standing in a hot 30 mph breeze is still hot when it is 115F, just like sitting on an open golf cart driving at 10-15mph at 115F. Of course once you are in the parking lot in your cart, you can close your eyes, ignore ALL rules of the road and drive faster.........maybe that is why they were such crazy drivers....needed the speed to stay cool!

11. pw1

pw1 TS Member

I have my own golf cart (Use it for Sporting Clays) and I have insurance through State Farm and it is real cheap something like $20.00 per year. A lot of the camping area's now require the insurance to use them on the facilities.
    The insurance is simply a good idea.
    We pull our trailer (29' Work & PLay) with a ford 1 ton duel wheel truck with 4 doors and a 8' bed so it's a little long for most parking spaces and not the easiest thing in the world to handle in a parking lot. I'm 63 and had a auto wreck about 2 years ago and broke both legs and cracked my neck. It's hard for me to stand very long or walk very far. I'd like to attend the grand at Sparta but I needed to know if the cart would make it possible for me to enjoy the trip. Thanks for the info that everyone provided.

12. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

pw1 I see you still didn't get a direct link to what you have asked about. So see if this will help.

GOLF CARTS, BICYCLES AND MOTOR BIKES
    The use of transportation vehicles of any kind, with the exception of Chairs, will

not be permitted on the shooting fields during competition and shoot-offs. The
    sole exception to this rule will be utilization of golf carts by shoot management

of the Grand American for the purpose of running the Grand American. Shoot
    management will minimize the use of golf carts wherever possible and see that
    the rule against the use of transportation vehicles is enforced. Shooters may use

registered golf carts and licensed mopeds throughout the Complex observing the
    following Golf/Utility Cart Rules:

• A signed permit usage agreement and a copy of insurance is required to rent or use personal carts on the
    ground of the WSRC. View www.shootata.com for more details and forms.

• The ATA and IDNR direct that you observe all safety rules while operating your cart at WSRC.

• An identifying sticker will be issued, and must be affixed, to indicate that you are properly registered.

• NO cart/moped travel on Cardinal Road you may cross, only, at the designated intersections.

• NO cart/moped travel on any pedestrian sidewalk you may cross only, at appropriate intersections.

• NO cart/moped travel in front (grass or sidewalk) of Building Vendor Row or Stadium Area.

• NO cart/moped travel directly in front of Portable Vendors so as to obscure their signs or pedestrian
    traffic.

• Pedestrians and vehicles have the right of way yield when you are in traffic and be courteous.

• Observe all signage and read the Event Program Guide for additional rules and requirements.

• There will be no racing or other unsafe operating practices while driving your (or any) cart(s).

• If you anticipate operating your cart after dark, you must use lights (fixed or portable) and reflectors.

• You must be 18 years of age or older to register your cart and 16 years of age or older to operate one.

• All cart operators must possess a valid state issued driver’s license. Learner’s permits will not suffice.

• You must maintain insurance limits of $500,000.00, Combined Single Limits (CSL) refer to sample COI.

• You must follow the directions of all premises security personnel and/or any ATA Official.

• Violators will be given one (1) warning only. Thereafter, all cart or moped privileges will be revoked.

*Please note: IDNR Quads (also called ATV’s) will NOT be permitted, for personal or shooter

use, at the complex.

I hope you find an answer in this section of the Grand program.

Bob Lawless

13. Clay Addict

Clay Addict Member

Glad to see a minimum age this year for the operator of a cart. Saw lots of young people in the pre-teen range driving fast and without any regard around gun racks, in auto trafic, and through foot traffic. By the end of the Grand last year I had spent two weeks of slaming on the breaks and dodging carts being driven without any regard for others. I was wishing I had brought my work truck with it's heavy duty grill guard so I could treat the carts the way they were treating me. Carts are a good thing for the Grand but should be a part of the traffic flow, not excluded from rules of the road. I don't want one, but I have no problem with responsible use....including the gals picking up score sheets. Last year I got bumped by a score sheet collection cart as the gals in the cart were busy looking everywhere but where they were going.

Carts were a great service when someone would have heat problems. I saw it a few times when someone would have a heat/health problem and out of nowhere would come a fellow shooter to the rescue with a cart.

See ya there soon.
    Packed a jacket for this year.

14. pw1

pw1 TS Member

Hey Bob Lawless, Thanks for the info that was exactly what I was wanting to see and didn't know where to look. Like I said earlier i'm 63 and drive an electric EZGO cart that doesn't have much of a top speed so you won't have to wory about dodging me or my cart.
    Thanks again. I hope to make the grand this year.
    Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.