1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Golf cart close call at Sparta Grand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rodney57104, Aug 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rodney57104

rodney57104 Member

During the Championship Handicap shoot on Sunday between boxes 3 and 4, trap #12. I had my ear plugs in with some music playing. Trying to stay focused, I stepped back from grabbing my last box of shells out of my bag and ZOOOOM!!!! Right behind me a golf cart driving as fast as it could go (guessing about 15mph) came less than a foot from hitting me and a buddy of mine. Luckily he had taken his ear plugs out and heard the cart coming. I didn't! My buddy grabbed my arm to prevent me from taking another step back. We all looked in amazement as we watched him zip by three more gun racks were people were congragrated just as they were for use wondering how such reckless behavior could be allowed here. We then saw him drive right up to a scorers stand???? That means its some kind of official???? Just as we were grabbing our guns to head out we saw him returning back down the same sidewalk (not as fast) my buddy flagged him down to have words with him. The official stated he was on a service call. My buddy said adjusting high bird down does not make this an emergency vehicle so SLOW DOWN!! The official started to make more excusses to justify his reckless behavior then finally my buddy said thats bull#@$% you slow down! The official said You Watch your mouth! I was standing right there and chirped in here and there but WOW this has to stop. The officials attidude and comments lead me to believe he felt all his actions were justified and it will happen again without some rules put in place. I know this, IF I had been hit there would have been very serious injuries and my excact position would have launched me into the gun rack that was full.
    I have the officials name from the front of his cart but didn't know if this was the place for that.
    Who should I take this too?

Rodney Larson Sioux Falls SD

2. rodney57104

rodney57104 Member

Forgot to ask... did anyone else see unsafe operation of carts there?

3. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Rodney,

Send it to me via PM.

I'll send it on to President Radway.

Or you can send it to him yourself.

Scott Hoover

Ex-ATA Delegate, Utah

4. dennis toews

dennis toews Member

I noticed the same thing, not your close call, but was amazed how fast the carts were going on the walk ways during the shootoffs! I thought to myself this is insane , someone is going to get hurt! Where were the managers to slow down the score sheet runners.
    The fast carts were definitely employees!!

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I saw more than one "Official Golf Cart" going pretty fast but not nearly as fast as some of the "off road" RZR type side-by-sides speeding in the 50 mph range in the campgrounds. One of these days...........

6. claydust0069

claydust0069 Member

Someone in my squad was convinced that a trap was not throwing any left angle birds so he asked for it to be adjusted. This was Friday morning after the big storm the night before. They had finished off the doubles. Everyone who was working there seemed to be a little frazzled. The guy who came up to adjust the trap came flying in there on a golf cart, shot right up to post number 3 at about the 21 yd marker, jammed on his brakes and came very close to one of the old gentlemen who was in the squad and who did not move very fast. I did not pay attention to any name on the cart. I was a little frustrated that we were having the holdups we were and at that very moment was glad someone got there so quickly. Looking back at the muddy ground, the speed at which he was moving and the fact that he just came right across the trap field and did not park behind it...probably not the safest thing he did that day.

7. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

No, it wouldn't take an accident if Rodney PMs the driver's name to V10. I despise snitches, but in a case where someone is stupidly placing others in danger, speaking up is the way to stop it.

I saw trap mechanics and scoresheet collectors driving fast on the walkway behind the traps, but the ones I saw all slowed down when they approached shooters. This person, the one Rodney talks about, was just foolish and should be dealt with by those who employ him.

Bob

8. highway

highway Member

Considering all the complaints regarding the grounds at Sparta, here is a small suggestion.

Carts of all sorts, officials and participants, should probably be restricted to specific paths. It is impossible to grow grass on ground beaten to death by carts. The safety issue is another reason to conform. I actually saw carts on the sidwalk next to the vendor buildings. Of course, handicaped persons need some form of exemption.

Roger

9. Pipe Layer

Pipe Layer Well-Known Member

A cart only path is being considered between the sidewalk and the parking lot by the EC.

TD

10. highway

highway Member

I forgot to say, I am an Illinois resident, and I was ashamed of the condition of the grounds. I don't care if the state is broke or not. I will personally donate a day or two to help if I can and I am sure there are others. Just contact me or post a notice that help is needed. I am retired.
    Roger

11. zinger

zinger Member

Yes Roger the grounds were a disgrace for a world facility! The weeds around the trap houses could've been weedwacked. I understand the drought and no grass, but the weeds growing next to the pads were starting to take over! And the area between the parking lot and trapfields looked like they pastured a herd of cattle when it was muddy. As for the golf carts, they should be eliminated all together. After almost running one over backing out of parking space, we decided it better to back in everytime we went to shoot. There were tons of underage kids driving, speeding carts down the trapline,etc. It's only a matter of time before someone is seriously hurt.

12. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

This golf cart hazard business is really something that needs to be addressed.

I had a great time at the Grand, thought it was well run and have no problem kicking a few weeds out of the way, but sure they could be weed whipped.

What I do have a problem with is the way the golf carts fly up and down the line. It is an accident waiting to happen, and it could be very, very serious. As Rodney stated, people getting ready to shoot are focusing on getting into their zone. I had a cart whip by me no more than 8" from my toes while watching targets. They simply need to slow when approaching shooters.

David

13. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

High speed and underage kids behind the wheel at Cardinal too.

14. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Carts have been a problem since I first shooting, 1975.

At Vandalia, those smoke belching carts, made by Harley, I think, would roar up the road.

It's getting bad at Cardinal as well, as they drive right up on the grass... Look out!

It's no wonder a liability policy is required, (if enforced on personal carts)

Regards.....Gerald

15. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I was glad to see that they didn't allow carts at the grandstand this year. At prior Grands, people would drive and park right in front of where others were sitting and the drivers could care less whose view they were blocking.

16. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I figured that I and my friend were the only two shooters at the Grand who didn't have a cart! ;-)

One guy cut in front of me so close I had to lay on the brakes. I could have got him.

Backing out one time, one came so fast that she almost hit me. Then she proceeds to cuss me out too. If she'd slow down a little, it would have served her better.

Hauxfan!

17. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Cardinal rules as posted and as published in shoot programs say you must be at least 16 years of age and have a valid drivers license to operate a golf cart on the grounds. They don't enforce one bit of it. Kids everywhere behind the wheel, but the speeders and reckless operators I've seen have for the most part been adults. Only a matter of time until someone is hurt. If there is a kid behind the wheel, guess who gets sued for not enforcing the rule? (reading this Cardinal?)

18. BigJohn270

BigJohn270 Member

It was just not the employees driving carts like they were in a race. I was trying to park and they would fly up between me and the parking place I was pulling into (less than an 8 foot gap and closing). I just had to stop and wait for 3 of them to pass as their butts must have been on fire and they could not wait to put them out. THESE were not kinds driving either. these were 30 and 40 year old shooters.
    I have a cart but will not bring it to the Grand because of the crazy driving going on. I don't want my cart wrecked. I can see some one getting hit by a cart or someone hitting a cart as they weave and dart in and out of car.

19. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

The ATA needs to do something about these darn carts and side by sides!

My gun was knocked out of the rack by a careless side by side driver at the GLG.

I heard that a shooter got up and complained about carts at the ISTA meeting this year as well.

20. rodney57104

rodney57104 Member

Thanks for sharing some of your experiences on this thread. I did PM V10 the name of the trap official.
    Hearing some of the other close calls posted here made me think back again to my experience at the grand. Does it seam to anyone else that the mentality of the golf cart drivers is different??? I mean I saw alot of vehicles that needed to move once they shot there bank of target and upon starting to slowly back out, the cars and pickups would yield and let you back out like a normal, courteous fellow trap shooter would. But the side by sides and golf cart drivers routine wouldn’t. Instead they would just keep zooming by at the same speed only veering out of the way. What happens to our trap shooting buddies minds once they climb on to one of the carts?
    Rodney

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.