1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

goldenrod for gunsafe?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Fisher, Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fisher

Fisher Member

I recently bought a Browning gun safe. 4 guys, and a boom truck later it was where it's going to spend a lot of quality time. Having never owned a safe before, I just wanted to know if one golden rod will be enough to keep the humidity level down. The safe will probably not be opened much in the summer, as I am gone for 6 months for work. The safe is located in a heated basement. I probably won't use dessicant as I will not be around to change it, and think it could cause more problems than it fixes. Is a goldenrod heating device that runs continuously without the safe being opened for long periods going to "cook" my guns? Safe is approximately 39 cubic feet. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you J. Webb.

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The golden rod won't cook your guns. Do you have a ground water problem in your area or is the basement level dry without the need for a sump pump? This would be my concearn with the safe located where it is.

3. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

I use a golden rod, put it in when I bought the safe, 5 years ago, does a great job.

tony

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I'll suggest that it depends on the area you're in and where the safe is. In my last home, in a notoriously dry air town and with the safe within the home, one goldenrod did the job for some 8 or 9 years. When I moved to Willamette Valley of Orygun, the safe was relegated to the garage and there was early signs of the single goldenrod failing to be enough. I added a cheap Dry-Z-Air to the safe and it's stopped any suggestion of rust anywhere. The Dry-Z-Air is a simple plastic bowl with some chemical pellets suspended above the bowl and during wet weather it collects an astonishing amount of water and needs service, hmmm, maybe monthly......breakemall.....Bob Dodd

5. Fisher

Fisher Member

Thank you all for the advice! You pretty much confirmed what I had thought all along. The basement where the gun safe is located is very dry, and has had no ground water/seepage issues. Once again thanks a bunch. J. Webb.

6. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

If you want to save a little money, Midway sells a black one . The 12" will do 100 cubic feet and the 18" will do 200. About $20. If 13 watts is too energy hungry, you could put it on a timer. Good luck.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Good job on getting the safe in the basement Fisher, sounds like a perfect place for it. Wish I had a 'man cave' like that.

8. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I wouldn't suggest that you put the Golden Rod on a timer. You want the air circulating constantly inside the safe, not just part of the time.

One Golden Rod would probably do, but I have used two before (in a basement) just to be on the safe side. If you are going to be gone for long periods of time, that might be even more reason to have two instead of just one in the safe.

Easystreet

9. Uncle Tom

Uncle Tom TS Member

My 2 cents , I have a basement it was so dry i installed a Aprilair humidifier to get the relative humidity at a constant level so the crown trim and window trim wouldn't move . I have a small Liberty safe Washington series and I have the black small 12" golden rod installed in the safe .I have not experienced any trouble as of now . And i have some nice toys that i could never replace.

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I had a rust/moister problem!!!! Now I am over protective. VCI dispensers, The gun socks with VCI impregnated for the guns in the back. Any and all cylica packs I come axross go into a small box in the bottom.

11. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

As far as I know, the Golden Rod and the like do not make it drier (less absolute humidity) in your safe, I believe their purpose is to keep the temperature up just a bit to keep the temp above the dew point...so that moisture does not precipitate out of the air and condense on your guns. It doesn't seem to take much to do this.

I have a 12" Golden Rod, have had it in my safe (uhhh....I want to say it's a 36 gun safe...pretty good size), and have had zero problems with moisture. I have the safe in the garage, I live in Maryland where we get some pretty good temp changes and rain, and no problems.

I do also keep my guns in Gun Socks...it just seems like a small investment for protection of some expensive items.

Cheers

12. Fisher

Fisher Member

Thank's for the tip on the gun socks Baron23, I thought about it, but did not include it in my original post. Was worried it might trap moisture on blued steel and make rust more of a problem. Thank you for the info, nothing like a little experienced help on something you don't know about. cheers J. Webb.

13. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

I like a light bulb better!
    You can add a relay and a thermostat as well.

The golden rod didnt work for me

14. B682GX

B682GX TS Member

Never had a problem in my 50CF safe with 18" & a 12" goldenrods.

15. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

had the same golden rod in safe since 1999, never a problem.

16. ken a

ken a Member

I had to replace my goldenrod earlier this year. With suggestions from this forum I'm using a low amperage (curly) light bulb and it does a good job. Total cost to buy bulb and receptical about $5 at home depot. It attaches to the bottom shelf, clear of everything. It puts off enough heat in a enclosed safe to keep everything slightly above the normal room temp. However in a basement it may not be enough.

17. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Fisher - the real deal on the gun socks, from my point of view, resulted from a friend's experience with a house fire. The way a fire resistant safe works (most of them, anyway) is that there is gypsum (sheet rock) between the metal of the walls. The heat of a fire drives the moisture out of the gypsum and you get evaporative cooling effect.

However, while your guns may not catch fire, this moisture also combines with the smoke particals in the air and is quite caustic. In my friend's case, guns that were in Gun Socks survived just fine, the ones without suffered some pretty good corrosion from the smoke/moisture combination.

Also, they keep my guns from getting beat up going in and out of the safe...but you may not be as clumsy as I LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

golden rod for gun safes

placement of golden rod in gun safe