1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Golden West Grand Reno

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cubancigar2000, May 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have not been able to access the shoot results with the link on TS.com. Anybody know why?

2. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

I tried also @ 8:10am pst.
    Nothing listed.
    Mike C.

3. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

There were a lot of ground squirrels running around too. I dropped a target in the first station to make it a practice day in AA. Not a very big turnout for a big ATA event, doubt if I’ll ever return to shoot trap, maybe to squirrel hunt!

4. Jerry Parr

Jerry Parr Member

How fricking sad.........this was THE shoot I would never miss! Huge looking solid green targets against dark brown mountains, with lots of movement. I last shot it in '08 or '09 and it was on a respirator then........crowds gone, gold coin buckles gone. One of the last things competitive shooting offers is the chance to get your name in the 'bright lights' of trap and field, or worldwide published on the internet here for all to see, and low and behold, next to last day of the shoot and nary a score or report posted. Rest in peace GWG.......

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Gary,call me and let me know when you are coming, I have a shoot at melba on Sunday

6. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Sadly the above information is all so true. I am not sure why attendance has tanked, but just in the 3 years I have come up to the shoot is has slid downhill. I was talking with some long time shooters who knew the attendance was over 1100 shooters in the early 90's...doubt there was 150 at the highest this year.

The bright spot was shooting the new Butler XX12 auto loader. I am still digesting going to an automatic, but it points great and the perceived recoil is stronger on my BB gun, and that was with single and handicap loads. Trigger is first cabin.

7. Itchyb

Itchyb TS Member

She is just not shooter friendly anymore, actually never was and I think that has a lot to do with us not showing up. All about money for her, not showing the shooters a good time. That parking lot used to be full, the clubhouse full, the bar full, man I had some good times at that club. But she is a bitch. An unhappy bitch at that. When you have had a good fill of that, you don't go back. Go To the State PITA in Fallon. A WAY better club and a good time. JMHO

8. Stumpi24

Stumpi24 Member

This is too bad, I have not been there but love shooting in the west and want all programs all across america to be successful. Thanks Stan

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

A pal of mine said the rattlesnake kill was up to three as of Saturday. Wow - that is a bunch for this area. They must be doing okay with all the squirrels.
    I'm with TM1 - kill all the buzz tails you can.

Thanks for the kind words ItchyB - we are ready for some fun in Fallon this coming weekend - now if the weather will just cooperate.....BTW, the hill the club sits on is called Rattlesnake Hill but I haven't actually seen one up there in the 8 years the club has bee around. I think we may have killed them all with the large amounts of fill that we brought in.

10. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

Just returned from the Golden West Grand Reno. Great weather this weekend and a great shoot. Darlene and crew did a great job as usual. Looking forward to next year.

11. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Agree with Vince, great weather and shoot attendance was up.

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

he Golden West Grand (Reno) was the best shoot I ever attended, for years. 200+ squads & money, money, money. The best shooters in the country were there.
    To bad it's all gone....

13. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Must disagree with trim tab and Vince...the shoot is going downhill. Weather was really great for Reno after the hurricane wind died down Wednesday night, making Thurs-Sun really great. That is true enough.

Wed on one of the first 3 squads out, the voice pulls did not function..not on 1 trap but 3 we tried. Ended up shooting 3 sessions on 1 trap at the bottom of the hill. I could have toughed it out, but a gal on our squad had it up to her ears with them and refused until we found one that worked.

It would seem for a shoot of this caliber, they would setup and test these out before we became the "beta squad". At least that is we all called it.

As for attendance, if it was up, I am not sure when. I have no data on the actual head count, but parking lot and squad count tells me it is treading water at best.

With all that said, I will probably go shoot in it next year. I did have a good time, and I shoot to enjoy the experience. If I win something, oh well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.