1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Golden Retriever- Puppy Starngulation Syndrome

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shipbuilder, Feb 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

Our family has a 12 week old male Golden Retriever who came down with Puppy Strangulation Syndrome last Saturday, Feb 7. He is being treated by our vet with anti biotics, pain killers and steroids and is somewhat better but a long way from well.

We are worried about permanent damage.

Any experience with this out there?

Jim

2. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

This is the first I have heard of it. Wishing your pup a speedy full recovery.

3. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Jim,I have never heard of it either.

If you don't get any info here PM me.I can give you a site that will give you an answer.

Bocephas

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I used the website above and then did a search on "puppy strangulation" and got some hits. I hope things work out for you and your pup.

5. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

My nephew had a litter of black lab pups about four months ago. When the pups were about 9/10 weeks old one of the pups came down with this disease. As you already know it can be fatal. The pup is 4 months old now & shows no signs of the disease. Lots of steroids & anti-biotics to get there. I seen pictures of the pup last Saturday. Looks funny because the pup had swollen up & lost hair around the eyes, mouth & a small spot on the belly when she had the disease, so you see the white skin instead of the black hair. The hair is now starting to grow back & the pup is a ball of energy. He is now trying to find her a good home (for free) as he doesn't feel selling her is right for all concerned. I have a 14 yr. old black lab at home that would get her feeling hurt or I would take the little girl. Finding a home should be no problem I would think. Hope all goes well for your pup, just hang in there. Colonel

6. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Colonel Kling, I know that it seems like your old friend would take offense at you bring a new pup in. I did it when one of my labs was 12 yrs old and the she did just fine with it actually made her act younger as she taught the newbe the ropes. I've never heard of the disease that the post is about and I'm glad there is a cure sure hope the pup heals quickly and that there are no long term side effects

7. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

The pup ,Bailey, (named in honor of the bail out)is much improved. Went off pain killers Sunday and still on steroids and anti biotics. Not sure we are out of the woods yet but thanks for the help. This has been scary.

Jim

8. Bruce Specht

Shipbuilder, glad to here things are going in the right direction for Baily and you.

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Well guess I haven't heard of all the diseases yet.

Is this disease linked primarily to labs?

10. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

Our vet says Retievers and Daschaunds.

11. Jamnss

Jamnss TS Member

Shipbuilder,
    Good to hear Baily is getting better. We have 4 Goldens and have never heard of this disease. Please keep us up to date on Baily's recovery and will keep him and you family in our prayers. JR

12. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

It will be 2 weeks tommorow since Bailey took sick.He was so sick he could not move on his own but had to be carried. I am pretty certain if left untreated much longer (like another day) he would have died.We got him to the vet within 24 hrs of the first indication.

I have talked to one other person with first hand experience with what his vet called the "Puppy Strangles". In that case it the symptoms were bleeding gums and some head puffiness.Evidently the lymph glands swell choking the dog. The dog received the same treament as ours ,steroids, pain killers and anti biotics and is now 5 years old with no after affects.

It seems to me the response to this disese must be very quick in order to be sucessful.

Baily has 2 more weeks of medicine and then a vet appointment. He is back acting like a normal puppy so we are very encouraged.

Jim

13. Bruce Specht

He would tie a lab in the back of a truck why?

14. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Yep...let a thread go on long enough and the slime crawls out from the bottom of the gene pool to be heard. Amazing they can get them doors to the single wide open.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

golden retriever with down syndrome